Structural Organizational Issues

Berky1010

The long standing issue of attracting top tier talent to Buffalo is going to continue to put Buffalo at a disadvantage versus other markets. It comes down to a number of factors that work against us:

1. Winning Culture: All else equal, Buffalo will always lose in this department based on our history

2. Taxes: NY personal income tax rates and changes in tax law make employment in Buffalo extremely expensive for high earners. They will always prefer places like Florida and Texas where there are low or no-taxes. We will always have to overpay. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-19/nfl-teams-risk-talent-drain-in-high-tax-states-as-breaks-curbed

3. Location: I love WNY and there will always be people who will be attracted to the region. However, top prospects in the prime of their career trying to build a brand will not come here. NYC, LA, South Florida and Dallas will continue to be more premier markets for these players.

You can argue that it has largely been this way for decades, but the media prominence and brand of the NFL is much larger than what it was when we made our run in the 90s (and even then players complained about coming here). If we are going to win, it is going to take master execution in free agency and even moreso in the draft. We will need to try and lock up players ahead of their contract expirations. Otherwise, contracts like we gave underperforming talent like Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus will set an organization like ours back for years.

Players are concerned with ONE thing...$....Pegs has the ability to offer guaranteed money because he has the depth to put that money in escrow - likely better than 20+ other teams...Bills are in very good shape to attract free agents

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

The long standing issue of attracting top tier talent to Buffalo is going to continue to put Buffalo at a disadvantage versus other markets. It comes down to a number of factors that work against us:

1. Winning Culture: All else equal, Buffalo will always lose in this department based on our history

2. Taxes: NY personal income tax rates and changes in tax law make employment in Buffalo extremely expensive for high earners. They will always prefer places like Florida and Texas where there are low or no-taxes. We will always have to overpay. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-19/nfl-teams-risk-talent-drain-in-high-tax-states-as-breaks-curbed

3. Location: I love WNY and there will always be people who will be attracted to the region. However, top prospects in the prime of their career trying to build a brand will not come here. NYC, LA, South Florida and Dallas will continue to be more premier markets for these players.

You can argue that it has largely been this way for decades, but the media prominence and brand of the NFL is much larger than what it was when we made our run in the 90s (and even then players complained about coming here). If we are going to win, it is going to take master execution in free agency and even moreso in the draft. We will need to try and lock up players ahead of their contract expirations. Otherwise, contracts like we gave underperforming talent like Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus will set an organization like ours back for years.

California has got to be worse. High taxes and very expensive homes.  

I agree to a degree.  Additionally, the piss poor offense and QB situation isn't necessarily going to be convincing FAs to take a discount to come here.

However, not everyone can play in Florida and Texas and you really can get a nice home here.

$750,000 in New England or San Francisco gets you a 1600 sf mid-century with 2 foot wide stairs.

18 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

When you spoke in absolutes, you lost me.  Unless you are a fortune teller, you can't predict the future.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

19 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

You should also check on how athletes are taxed.

Free agents are looking for 3 things.

1. A ring 

2. Playing time

3. Money

We obviously are not attracting the ring chasers, which is fine those are usually guys on the back end of their career. 

We can offer the other 2 though. In our current state we will overpay for whoever we get, but that’s basically exactly what free agency is. Everyone overpays for the most part. I hate the people don’t want to play in buffalo stuff, I like to think the money and competitive side of players makes them want to be apart of building something. 

In the end free agency is all about the contract and guaranteed money. Any team who offers that lands the player. Does a team like buffalo have to tack on a few extra bucks or guarantee a little more? Sure, but after how they’ve ran the past 15 years they should have to 

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

California has got to be worse. High taxes and very expensive homes.  

We have friends who moved to LA to be closer to their grandson. They then moved to Las Vegas to be farther from their daughter in law. ?  A positive byproduct was effectively I believe a 13.7% raise! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Players are concerned with ONE thing...$....Pegs has the ability to offer guaranteed money because he has the depth to put that money in escrow - likely better than 20+ other teams...Bills are in very good shape to attract free agents

Most owners have this ability...many are billionaires...

Edited by nucci

Some wonder why Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei got pretty sizeable deals... well, when you're meeting with free agents and being honest about the state of the team as it is right now, you're gonna have to throw down some extra to get guys to sign here. Murphy and Lotulelei are also being paid to be leaders as well. 

Offensive players, receivers especially, will be tough to attract. That's why I think the FO has to explore any and all trade ideas on any pass catchers before this deadline and during next off-season. Draft picks take a while to develop and again, a young offense with a young QB doesn't attract a lot of receivers, unless you find some depth guys that you're willing to give bigger chances to.

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Some wonder why Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei got pretty sizeable deals... well, when you're meeting with free agents and being honest about the state of the team as it is right now, you're gonna have to throw down some extra to get guys to sign here. Murphy and Lotulelei are also being paid to be leaders as well. 

Offensive players, receivers especially, will be tough to attract. That's why I think the FO has to explore any and all trade ideas on any pass catchers before this deadline and during next off-season. Draft picks take a while to develop and again, a young offense with a young QB doesn't attract a lot of receivers, unless you find some depth guys that you're willing to give bigger chances to.

Spot on.  Truth is you have to pay to get guys here.  We all love Western New York, but the rest of the county does not.  That is why I don't get on the team for overpaying for guys.  It just is what it is.  

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Yeah. My taxes really went down with the orange clown. And hey the deficit is the lowest  it’s been. I suggest you live in reality and not Fox News. 

Wow. What a disrespectful post. Show some class. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Every year people say things like this, that free agents won't come here but we sign guys year in/year out so I really don't buy it.  

It needs to start with better drafting to begin with and it is.   White/Milano/Edmunds/Phillips, the defense is building into something very good.   

20 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Stop voting for liberals who want the money you earned.

12 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Yeah. My taxes really went down with the orange clown. And hey the deficit is the highest it’s been. Get lost. 

8 minutes ago, COTC said:

Wow. What a disrespectful post. Show some class. 

I love this site because we talk all things football and the Bills.

Can't confirm this, but someone told me there are other places online to discuss your politics.

• Like (+1) 1