Ron McDole book (for all you old-timers out there)

5 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

That was  a great line  Sestak, McDole, Dunaway, and Day....... They were beasts.

An awesome defensive line. Then they had Stratton, Jacobs and Tracy to back them up. Incredible front seven 

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, that defense was truly great.  

If I'm recalling correctly, McDole was the guy the Bills had difficulty keeping at his playing weight.   He wouldn't stay on any diet.   

There was a story (again, I THINK it was about McDole) that at training camp they limited his calories and even then he gained weight.  Finally, the Bills actually put him under surveillance, and someone caught him sneaking out of camp at night and eating a half dozen burgers at McDonalds!  

• Haha (+1) 1

My mom and dad used to go out and party with Ron and Paula.  They lived in that old school house on Sisson Highway in Eden, at the bottom of Schintzius Rd.  I used to baby sit Tammy and Ron Jr. while they were out.  (I was about 10 at the time).  I used to sleep on their couch and wake up in the AM there.  A year or two after he was traded, we went on a family vacation to DC and we stayed a night or two at their condo in Virginia.  I was always in awe of him.  I think my dad was too.  I will have to get this book.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

An awesome defensive line. Then they had Stratton, Jacobs and Tracy to back them up. Incredible front seven 

Gotta take it to a third level, Moj. Edgerson, Saimes, Tommy Janik and the rookie George ‘Butch’ Byrd made a fantastic Secondary!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, that defense was truly great.  

If I'm recalling correctly, McDole was the guy the Bills had difficulty keeping at his playing weight.   He wouldn't stay on any diet.   

There was a story (again, I THINK it was about McDole) that at training camp they limited his calories and even then he gained weight.  Finally, the Bills actually put him under surveillance, and someone caught him sneaking out of camp at night and eating a half dozen burgers at McDonalds!  

There was a great video of Paul McGuire talking about McDole & Dunaway at an ‘All you can Eat’ wing place eating their number (72 & 78) in chicken wings at camp in Fredonia. The owner kicked them out! I’ve posted it before, but it’s since been taken down on YouTube..

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

My mom and dad used to go out and party with Ron and Paula.  They lived in that old school house on Sisson Highway in Eden, at the bottom of Schintzius Rd.  I used to baby sit Tammy and Ron Jr. while they were out.  (I was about 10 at the time).  I used to sleep on their couch and wake up in the AM there.  A year or two after he was traded, we went on a family vacation to DC and we stayed a night or two at their condo in Virginia.  I was always in awe of him.  I think my dad was too.  I will have to get this book.

Cool. I was 9/10 in '64/65 when my Uncle Joe turned me onto the AFL champion Bills in Bloomfield NJ (he was Giants fan). Ron McDole was one of my favorites.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

There was a great video of Paul McGuire talking about McDole & Dunaway at an ‘All you can Eat’ wing place eating their number (72 & 78) in chicken wings at camp in Fredonia. The owner kicked them out! I’ve posted it before, but it’s since been taken down on YouTube..

Not wings, they were lobster dainties!

• Like (+1) 1