Buffalo Bills losing to a CFL team

So according to Wikipedia and some random guy commenting on Youtube that referenced this fact on August 8, 1961 the Tiger-cats of Hamilton beat the Buffalo Bills in a exhibition game 38-21. I consider myself a die hard Buffalo Bills fan and I have never in my life heard this before. Prior to that there were 2 other exhibition games against Steelers and Cardinals where both CFL teams lost. So adding to the fact that we are the only team to lose 4 Superbowls in a row, we are also the only NFL team to lose to a Canadian team. Go Bills! 

Heres a link : 

Did you see the episode when Thunderlips played an exhibition against the Bills? Three quarters, was 45 minutes, he played every position, offense and defense by himself and beat the Bills 56-2? It was a really good game. 

Not that you care cause it seems your making a willfully dumb thread, but in the 60s the CFL was much more like the USFL of the 80s, it was a true alternative league to the NFL , was full of NFL talent and players often chose the CFL over the NFL or at a minimum it was just a notch below.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Not that you care cause it seems your making a willfully dumb thread, but in the 60s the CFL was much more like the USFL of the 80s, it was a true alternative league to the NFL , was full of NFL talent and players often chose the CFL over the NFL or at a minimum it was just a notch below.

Eh......you overstate your case ol' timer.

A CFL team hadn't beaten an NFL team in over 20 years and after that game the AFL refused to play any more games against the CFL.

It was an abject disgrace for the AFL and basically the highlight of the CFL season.?

But yeah the CFL of then was better than today(relative to their US counterparts)..........and the Ti-Cats were very good by CFL standards.

Being a Ti-Cats fan is something of the CFL equivalent of being a Bills fan though........not been very good(but playoffs this season baby!).

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

So according to Wikipedia and some random guy commenting on Youtube that referenced this fact on August 8, 1961 the Tiger-cats of Hamilton beat the Buffalo Bills in a exhibition game 38-21. I consider myself a die hard Buffalo Bills fan and I have never in my life heard this before. Prior to that there were 2 other exhibition games against Steelers and Cardinals where both CFL teams lost. So adding to the fact that we are the only team to lose 4 Superbowls in a row, we are also the only NFL team to lose to a Canadian team. Go Bills! 

Heres a link : 

Wouldnt the bills have been an afl team at that point?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This is bizarro land.  Who gives a flying ***** about a game that took place in 1961?  ***** Derek Anderson is our starting QB on Sunday, and he’s almost as old as our head coach!

It’s all in the details.....Derek Anderson WAS starting for the CFL team that day.

But I could be wrong on that.....

41 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Wouldnt the bills have been an afl team at that point?

Yes. They were in their second year of existence as a team, an AFL team.

At that point, the NFL and AFL drafts were separate so players could play the two teams that drafted them off against each other. And the more established league, the NFL, won most of those faceoffs, so you could easily draft a guy and not get him. In their first draft the Bills chose Norm Snead, for example. So the AFC teams tended to pick early guys who they thought they had a better chance at getting. 

The AFL was the junior league, and for a reason. They were facing disadvantages, getting better, but that was their second year.

And the game was played under Canadian rules, and in Canada.

And again, as you say, the Bills were not an NFL team at that point. They were in a junior league that couldn't even play in the Super Bowl. The first Super Bowl was in '66, and he's talking about '61. Not to mention that the games took place in the AFC preseason, and in the middle of the CFL season.

It still wasn't a high point for the Bills but not all that much of a low point either, looking back.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Talkin Proud said:

Did you see the episode when Thunderlips played an exhibition against the Bills? Three quarters, was 45 minutes, he played every position, offense and defense by himself and beat the Bills 56-2? It was a really good game. 

That one was good, but the one where it was supposed to be an exhibition but Drago broke the Bills’ neck anyways was better.

19 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

That one was good, but the one where it was supposed to be an exhibition but Drago broke the Bills’ neck anyways was better.

I like to put an asterisk next to that one cuz Drago* was juicin'

• Haha (+1) 2

Another factor could be that the Bills were more than a month from the regular season while Hamilton was already into it's regular season. This favors them in two ways: the obvious one that we all see in the present day is that execution is often a mess in preseason; the other issue is pro football players had jobs in the offseason back then and couldn't work out 7 days a week, so they really needed the longer training camp and extra games to get in shape.

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

Bit of a stretch to call a lack of knowledge concerning 1960's CFL football of all things "willfully dumb", eh? Chill, I had no idea either.