The people marching to the boarder ???

mead107

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No no no he lived here and watches TV so he knows. 

Irrigation causes wildfires.  "Hey, while I'm watering my almond trees, I'm going to irrigate the hills, so the brush grows nice and thick..."

Jesus...  :wallbash:

20 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

California is mostly just an irrigated desert which allows for it to be populated. Obviously there must have been an  incredible amount of fuel to allow what happened in Paradise. It wasn't because of branches overhanging roofs or a little brush here and there. My guess is (from looking at an aerial and street view) that Paradise is at the edge of the foothills and is a heavily wooded community with a lot of pine trees and others. A fire was reported started from a campgrounds which I assume was in the foothills or mountains. So, it got started in the forest of pines and hit Paradise like an all out blitz. From the news I saw on TV overhanging branches or not, that town was doomed because of the intensity of the fire before it hit Paradise. The deadwood and the pines in the foothills are what did Paradise in.

Paradise is one fire. The majority of our wildfires are low lying scrub and not forests. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

It must have been caused by overhanging branches then.

Give up dude. You’re all over the place. 

Just now, DC Tom said:

Irrigation causes wildfires.  "Hey, while I'm watering my almond trees, I'm going to irrigate the hills, so the brush grows nice and thick..."

Jesus...  :wallbash:

That's not what I said and you know it. The areas where people live and the farmlands are what is irrigated, mainly from the snow runoff and reservoirs that collect that runoff. The rest of the land gets very little moisture and the higher elevations are populated by pines which can survive on less water, but get some from snowfall.

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Paradise is one fire. The majority of our wildfires are low lying scrub and not forests. 

Give up dude. You’re all over the place. 

Sarcasm.

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

That's not what I said and you know it. The areas where people live and the farmlands are what is irrigated, mainly from the snow runoff and reservoirs that collect that runoff. The rest of the land gets very little moisture and the higher elevations are populated by pines which can survive on less water, but get some from snowfall.

Sarcasm.

It’s irrigated but not a desert. Other than that you’re spot on. ?

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Actually, I didn't know there.  I stopped reading there because it was so stupid.  CA's not a desert, and irrigation has nothing to do with CA's wildfires.

Maybe if you read what I wrote instead of just trying to be a prick you might have understood what I was saying. Take southern CA for example, it can't prosper with only its own rainwater. It has to import it from elsewhere to support the population. The lack of water in the areas that are not irrigated and dead brush cause conditions that make those areas susceptible to wildfires.

Maybe if you read what I wrote instead of just trying to be a prick you might have understood what I was saying. Take southern CA for example, it can't prosper with only its own rainwater. It has to import it from elsewhere to support the population. The lack of water in the areas that are not irrigated and dead brush cause conditions that make those areas susceptible to wildfires.

One has nothing to do with the other, dumbass.

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I don't think we're really far apart on this. Tell me, what would the LA Basin be if it had to rely only on its own rainfall?

Unpopulated. I’m busting your nuts for saying California is a desert. 

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Here is the interesting thing. The fires are often worse the year after a heavy rainy season. Lots more fuel. 

Political jabber aside, I think it's widely understood CA has done a horrible job of properly handling the thinning of the forests. They simply cut resources and never brought them back.

Blame aside, lack of staff and resources, coupled with the last drought we had, makes many parts ofr CA a tinderbox...even beef you throw in the Santa Anas. I've got 3 firefighters in my Bible study group, and whenever we have warnings for winds, they know what's coming and how fast it moves. They're quick to point out how the forests have been neglected, and the role that plays in concerns for fighting those fires.

Again, blame aside, this state burns hot, fast, and out of control, and there's more to this than making sure your property is cleared.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for busting my nuts. You and Tom seem to be playing Obtuse and Obtuser.

Chef.jpg

Sorry. You lost this when you (and Donald) had the great idea to do a better job managing our “forests” and clearing brush. That was an awesome idea. LOL. 

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Sorry. You lost this when you (and Donald) had the great idea to do a better job managing our “forests” and clearing brush. That was an awesome idea. LOL. 

Don't attribute what Trump has said to me. I have thought for quite some time that CA needed to do a better job of clearing dead wood and brush from its wooded areas (sometimes called forests) and brush country. Clearing useless land around communities and fire breaks in the wooded areas (sometimes called forests) should help mitigate fire damage.

See the link:

http://calfire.ca.gov/fire_prevention/fire_prevention

Part of CAL FIRE’s mission is to prevent fires. The department’s Fire Prevention Program consists of multiple activities including wildland pre-fire engineering, vegetation management, fire planning, education and law enforcement. Common projects include fire break construction and other fire fuel reduction activities that lessen the risk of wildfire to communities.  This may include brush clearance around communities, along roadways and evacuation routes. Other important activities include defensible space inspections, emergency evacuation planning, fire prevention education, fire hazard severity mapping, implementation of the State Fire Plan, fire-related law enforcement activities such as investigations to determine fire cause and origin as well as arson  cases, and support for local government fire safe planning in the SRA.

Wildland Fire Engineering

Wildland fire prevention engineering processes reduce or eliminate fire hazards and risks, and change the environment by removing or reducing the heat source, modifying or reducing the fuels (this is where our defensible space program resides), and modifying the act or omission allowing the heat source to contact ignitable fuels.

Vegetation Management Program

The Vegetation Management Program (VMP) is a cost sharing program that focuses on the use of prescribed fire, and other mechanical means to reduce wildland fire fuel hazards. The use of prescribed fire mimics natural processes, restores fire to its historic role in wildland ecosystems, and provides significant fire hazard reduction benefits that enhance public and firefighter safety. VMP allows private landowners to enter into a contract with CAL FIRE to use prescribed fire to accomplish a combination of fire protection and resource management goals.

Fire Planning and Risk Analysis

Fire planning incorporates concepts of the National Fire Plan, the California Strategic Fire Plan and individual CAL FIRE Unit Fire Prevention Plans, as well as Community Wildfire Protection Plans (CWPP’s). Unit plans and CWPP’s outline fire situations at the local levels. Each identifies prevention measures to reduce risks, educates and involves the local community or communities, and provides a framework to diminish the potential loss due to wildfire. Planning includes other state, federal and local government agencies, as well as fire safe councils.