Jerry Hughes frustrated with Bills offense after Texans game

Rebel101

34 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It's not stupid just because you don't agree. 

McDermott approaches the game almost the same way. Ride the running game, run clock, punt and play field position, ride the defense, and hope to win the turnover battle. 

When the Bills lose, its the Dick Jauron playbook - Watch tape and correct mistakes, throws he'd like to have back, delicate balance. 

The bedrock is McDermott is a conservative defensive minded Head Coach. Jauron was the same. Both loved the lunchpail guys, both overly obsessed with Special Teams. 

You know the Bills have 50 million in dead cap money right? You know The Bills offense has a payroll of 55 million dollars, second to last, in the entire NFL. (Oakland has the most at 98 million and they are a Trainwreck), right? You know the Bills released Tyrod Taylor who would be a Dick Jauron love child for his type of offense, right? You do know Beane and McD drafted the one QB in the draft which debunks the idea of a ball control offense as the franchise QB right? You do know that McD and Beane have a five year plan, right?

Look, you obviously aren't smart enough to understand how hard it is to break down an NFL football team and rebuild it and how long it should take (while making the  playoffs for the first time in 17 years IN YOUR FIRST YEAR AS HEAD COACH I might add) so would suggest you sit back, relax and enjoy the games until he has an opportunity to grow the offense like he has the defense (Top 5 right?).

46 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

You know the Bills have 50 million in dead cap money right? You know The Bills offense has a payroll of 55 million dollars, second to last, in the entire NFL. (Oakland has the most at 98 million and they are a Trainwreck), right? You know the Bills released Tyrod Taylor who would be a Dick Jauron love child for his type of offense, right? You do know Beane and McD drafted the one QB in the draft which debunks the idea of a ball control offense as the franchise QB right? You do know that McD and Beane have a five year plan, right?

Look, you obviously aren't smart enough to understand how hard it is to break down an NFL football team and rebuild it and how long it should take (while making the  playoffs for the first time in 17 years IN YOUR FIRST YEAR AS HEAD COACH I might add) so would suggest you sit back, relax and enjoy the games until he has an opportunity to grow the offense like he has the defense (Top 5 right?).

- Bills traded Tyrod Taylor, didn't release him - 

1. Dead Cap was their choice, not imposed on them. They chose to trade talent away for culture.

2. Agree, you get what you pay for and the Bills (McDermott/Beane) don't value offense seemingly. The FA's they have signed are the bottom of the barrel.  

3. Seemingly yes, the rocket armed QB debunks the checkdown offense. However, the WR's we have are slow possession guys with no vertical speed.  The entire group needs to be gutted and another Tight End is needed to phase out Clay. Also, RB has been non-inventive, as the plan is to run 30-year old McCoy into the ground or hand the ball to grinders like Mike Tolbert and Chris Ivory. Again, no speed, no crosses.  

4. I know I'm not smart enough. Of course I should just shut up and wait 5 years for results. Nevermind we've heard that crap forever in Buffalo. That rebuilding takes years and years and years. Too bad in the NFL you don't get 5 years. Making the Playoffs in 2017 gave the Bills the pass in 2018 and sets the table for 2019. But the tone around the Bills has already started to change with the Peterman debacle twice this season already. I don't care if Beane has a plan. If this team finishes the year with the worst offense in the league and the Bills get off to a slow start in 2019, then that seat is going to get really hot on Allen and McDermott/Beane.

It always comes down to just wait longer for the billievers. Just need to keep waiting and eventually the Bills will be dominating the league. I was as happy as the next guy the Bills made the Playoffs last season. But that was a game we could have won if not for a bonehead passing call on the goal line. With as bad as Bortles played we should have won. So you keep waiting and watching the league pass the Bills by. It's only been 23 years since the Bills last Playoff win and we're 2-4 this year, with the QB the Bills selected 7th overall struggling and now hurt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

So much this. Its like the coaches think: "Hey guys, that Minnesota game was great! Lots of quick hitting plays designed to get guys open, some screens, hell a fake screen! Man that was effective... so this week just to throw off the other teams we are going to do the OPPOSITE that wasnt working in our first two games. They will never expect it!"

This post made me think...is Dabol trying too hard to do the New England thing and have a different game plan for each team each week rather than realizing that this is a young team that hasn't worked together much, so just run what they're good at and don't confuse them too much with major differences from week to week, until they're more experienced. Nuance can come later when they're ready for it. Sometimes you have to worry more about what you are doing rather than trying to guess what the other guy is going to do.

I guess I'd have to go back and look to see how different the play calls and personnel packages have been from week to week...but either way, as PolishPrince  and Koko said, continue running what's been effective.

16 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I am pretty sure he was talking about Houston running the jet sweep on the goal line stop.  I don't know why he that's what was going through his head, but he wasn't talking about the Bill's offense.  

He also said something like "Where y'all sorry a$$ coaches at" right after.  I think he was basically bragging about diagnosing the play.

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They look dejected. 

Nate Peterman cost them another game. 

Hence the report about losing the locker room. 

Hyde and Poyer were visibly upset too. 

Unfortunately, McDermott believes in the Jauron way of life. Ride defense and hope the other team makes a mistake. 

Or maybe he hasn’t gotten to fix and build the offense like he plans to yet

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

- Bills traded Tyrod Taylor, didn't release him - 

1. Dead Cap was their choice, not imposed on them. They chose to trade talent away for culture.

2. Agree, you get what you pay for and the Bills (McDermott/Beane) don't value offense seemingly. The FA's they have signed are the bottom of the barrel.  

3. Seemingly yes, the rocket armed QB debunks the checkdown offense. However, the WR's we have are slow possession guys with no vertical speed.  The entire group needs to be gutted and another Tight End is needed to phase out Clay. Also, RB has been non-inventive, as the plan is to run 30-year old McCoy into the ground or hand the ball to grinders like Mike Tolbert and Chris Ivory. Again, no speed, no crosses.  

4. I know I'm not smart enough. Of course I should just shut up and wait 5 years for results. Nevermind we've heard that crap forever in Buffalo. That rebuilding takes years and years and years. Too bad in the NFL you don't get 5 years. Making the Playoffs in 2017 gave the Bills the pass in 2018 and sets the table for 2019. But the tone around the Bills has already started to change with the Peterman debacle twice this season already. I don't care if Beane has a plan. If this team finishes the year with the worst offense in the league and the Bills get off to a slow start in 2019, then that seat is going to get really hot on Allen and McDermott/Beane.

It always comes down to just wait longer for the billievers. Just need to keep waiting and eventually the Bills will be dominating the league. I was as happy as the next guy the Bills made the Playoffs last season. But that was a game we could have won if not for a bonehead passing call on the goal line. With as bad as Bortles played we should have won. So you keep waiting and watching the league pass the Bills by. It's only been 23 years since the Bills last Playoff win and we're 2-4 this year, with the QB the Bills selected 7th overall struggling and now hurt. 

1 year and a great weekend where some amazing things happened including one of the great Bills moments put on tape of the locker room when they made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. One Bill great, Eric Wood made the playoffs before unexpectedly needing to retire and Wall of Fame shoe in Kyle Williams celebrating the playoffs with his kids. All with dumping the stink of Darius, Watkins et al. I'll take that year one. 

Drafting a franchise QB and watching a #3 defense with a franchise rookie middle linebacker, a 2nd year lock down corner, a possible franchise 2nd year Outside linebacker, what looks like a stud rookie nickle back and stud DL to replace Kyle Williams is a pretty good start to year 2. 

Look, I know the offense sucks, it's well documented. But it hasn't been addressed yet other than the QB and he's getting valuable playing time and IMO looks and sounds like the part in terms of intangibles and persona plus he's Uber talented. I just think it is way too early and completely unfair to even put McDs name and hot seat in the same sentence. Now the mantra seems to be "we haven't WON a playoff game in 23 years" and I think it's crazy to think McD and Beane can't do it and in fact in a year and a half, I think they are closer than they have been in 23 years.

21 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They look dejected. 

Nate Peterman cost them another game. 

Hence the report about losing the locker room. 

Hyde and Poyer were visibly upset too. 

Unfortunately, McDermott believes in the Jauron way of life. Ride defense and hope the other team makes a mistake. 

No, no, no!  McDermott is nothing like Jauron because he's gambled a few times on 4th down and he's way more animated on the sidelines!  //sarcasm off

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

No, no, no!  McDermott is nothing like Jauron because he's gambled a few times on 4th down and he's way more animated on the sidelines!  //sarcasm off

We wouldn't have drafted a QB at #7, especially trade up for one if we didn't want our offense to produce at a higher level.

If we just wanted to ride the defense, we would have taken Mason Rudolph later on and drafted defense with our first two picks.

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We wouldn't have drafted a QB at #7, especially trade up for one if we didn't want our offense to produce at a higher level.

If we just wanted to ride the defense, we would have taken Mason Rudolph later on and drafted defense with our first two picks.

Russ Brandon was still head honcho on the Bills during the 2018 draft.  I have little doubt that he's the one who decided the Bills would draft a first round QB in 2018, and set McDermott and Beane to doing it ... just like he set Whaley to drafting a first round QB in 2013.  The similarities in the moves the Bills made in handling the QB situation in 2013 and 2018 are so remarkable that it suggests coming from the same source:

• shedding the competent albeit low level starter from the previous season well before the draft (Fitzpatrick and Taylor)
  • drafting a "project" QB in the first round  (Manuel and Allen)
  • failing to address serious deficiencies on the offense in the draft or FA (in 2013, the Bills had Glenn and Wood on the OL but not much else;   their TE was Lee Smith; and CJ Spiller was their starting RB)
  • adding a veteran backup QB who was almost guaranteed to fail so that the first round QB would have to start some time during the season: Kevin "Glass" Kolb who couldn't even stay healthy enough to make it to the preseason in 2013 and AJ McCarron who undoubtedly objected to being third string behind Nate Peterman and was shipped out to Oakland
  • Replacing veteran QBs with trash QBs who shouldn't even be in the NFL: Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis, both UDFAs, in 2013 and Nate Peterman, fifth rounder, and street FA Derek Anderson in 2018.
  • The Bills even drafted a LB high in the 2013 draft: Kiko Alonso in the 2nd round.

Brandon was a marketing guy, and since he took over the team, it's been run on a "money ball" philosophy.  Cutting Fitzpatrick and trading Taylor saved the Bills millions in current salary.  Signing bottom feeder replacements or rookies for the good young veterans the team developed, for good veteran players who retired, and other veterans who were traded or cut also saved millions.  More importantly, drafting a first round QB insured additional ticket sales for several years as the fans waited for said first round QB to "develop" and provided the FO and coaching staff with cover if their great plans for domination by defense don't pan out.

Even though Russ Brandon is gone, his ghost lives on in the like-minded assistants he hired, including McDermott and Beane.

That's a pretty cynical view, but the current Bills team is so similar to so many previous Bills teams since 1999 that there's really nothing about them that indicates things will get any better any time soon.  If Allen develops into a good NFL QB, it's going to be despite the Bills FO and coaching staff.

I think MCDermott greatly overestimates what he can do as a coach.  He's running the offensive side of things like he is McGyver, trying to win with ducttape/bubblegum and hat pins.  Looking back one thing that baffles me is how to Daboll/McDermott put the game on Nate's arm against the Texans.  In the Titans game at the end they put it on the O line by running the ball.  McDermott continued to baffle me with his  inexplicable trust in Peterman

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Russ Brandon was still head honcho on the Bills during the 2018 draft.  I have little doubt that he's the one who decided the Bills would draft a first round QB in 2018, and set McDermott and Beane to doing it ... just like he set Whaley to drafting a first round QB in 2013.  The similarities in the moves the Bills made in handling the QB situation in 2013 and 2018 are so remarkable that it suggests coming from the same source:

• shedding the competent albeit low level starter from the previous season well before the draft (Fitzpatrick and Taylor)
  • drafting a "project" QB in the first round  (Manuel and Allen)
  • failing to address serious deficiencies on the offense in the draft or FA (in 2013, the Bills had Glenn and Wood on the OL but not much else;   their TE was Lee Smith; and CJ Spiller was their starting RB)
  • adding a veteran backup QB who was almost guaranteed to fail so that the first round QB would have to start some time during the season: Kevin "Glass" Kolb who couldn't even stay healthy enough to make it to the preseason in 2013 and AJ McCarron who undoubtedly objected to being third string behind Nate Peterman and was shipped out to Oakland
  • Replacing veteran QBs with trash QBs who shouldn't even be in the NFL: Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis, both UDFAs, in 2013 and Nate Peterman, fifth rounder, and street FA Derek Anderson in 2018.
  • The Bills even drafted a LB high in the 2013 draft: Kiko Alonso in the 2nd round.

Brandon was a marketing guy, and since he took over the team, it's been run on a "money ball" philosophy.  Cutting Fitzpatrick and trading Taylor saved the Bills millions in current salary.  Signing bottom feeder replacements or rookies for the good young veterans the team developed, for good veteran players who retired, and other veterans who were traded or cut also saved millions.  More importantly, drafting a first round QB insured additional ticket sales for several years as the fans waited for said first round QB to "develop" and provided the FO and coaching staff with cover if their great plans for domination by defense don't pan out.

Even though Russ Brandon is gone, his ghost lives on in the like-minded assistants he hired, including McDermott and Beane.

That's a pretty cynical view, but the current Bills team is so similar to so many previous Bills teams since 1999 that there's really nothing about them that indicates things will get any better any time soon.  If Allen develops into a good NFL QB, it's going to be despite the Bills FO and coaching staff.

This is a total crock of **** and you know it.

The Bills are going to let him make crucial draft decisions to only fire him one week later?  Yes I know he resigned but don't be naive he was on his way out.

Paul Hamilton reported that McDermott banned from football operational meetings and wanted nothing to do with him.

You really think Beane accepts a GM role with us if Brandon is calling the shots?  McDermott accepts this HC position when Brandon has full control?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This is a total crock of **** and you know it.

The Bills are going to let him make crucial draft decisions to only fire him one week later?  Yes I know he resigned but don't be naive he was on his way out.

Paul Hamilton reported that McDermott banned from football operational meetings and wanted nothing to do with him.

You really think Beane accepts a GM role with us if Brandon is calling the shots?  McDermott accepts this HC position when Brandon has full control?

You're confusing Doug Whaley with Russ Brandon.  The HC cannot ban his boss from football operational meetings.   Brandon wasn't fired immediately after the draft, and his firing had nothing to with football but with other issues in the Bills FO.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

You're confusing Doug Whaley with Russ Brandon.  The HC cannot ban his boss from football operational meetings.   Brandon wasn't fired immediately after the draft, and his firing had nothing to with football but with other issues in the Bills FO.

The draft was the last week of April and Russ Brandon was gone  by May 1st.  

It doesn't matter what the reason why he was fired, he was on the outs prior to that.  

It was only Beane and McDermott for the pre-draft press conferences...where was Brandon who you are saying calling the shots? 

I'm not confusing anyone, you're just being ignorant.

10 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They haven't shown anything to make fans think they do.

1. Benching Taylor last season for a 5th round rookie who threw 5 picks in one half, then saying you regret the outcome of the decision, not the decision itself. He appears to be a blind spot for this Coach.

2. Their FA acquisitions and trades are unimpressive. Mike Tolbert being kept as the only backup last season to McCoy, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Corey Coleman (I didn't hate the trade) but then cutting him a few weeks later, cutting Jeremy Kerley one day before Allen's first start, keep Kahari Lee for what, trading for Matthews who slow, fixating on Chris Ivory, quickly phasing out Cordy Glenn and trading him. They have an offense made up of fringe NFL players and overall the skill positions are slow. Kaolin Clay, Joe Webb - a lot of ex-Panthers. 

3. They didn't inherit a disaster, they opted to eat dead cap. Dareus didn't have to be traded, neither did Watkins, neither did Darby, neither did Glenn. They didn't have to ask Incognito to take a pay cut. Clearly they put focus on phasing out Doug Whaley. Now you've got to convince FA's to come to this offense. 

4. Nix ended the Bills constantly letting their best players walk by resigning Steve Johnson.

Fans will point to the pile of money next season and draft picks. But those things are not unique to the Bills. Other teams will have money, and draft picks, and the Bills will have to convince good players to join their offense. McCoy is slowing down at 30, Charles Clay is 29. 

5. You listen to McDermott speak about his ideal offense. Sorry, it sounds like Army in 1914. Running the ball with physicality in snowy Buffalo. How about making big plays happen, having a fast team. Instead its the cliche's about playing smart, respecting the football (even though the QB you love doesn't do that), even though our team has constant false starts and pre-snap penalties. Nothing about McDermott and Beane's team building looks congruent, thought out. Now we're signing a 35 year old who was on vacation and a week later he's starting now. 

6. To me, it's clear, McDermott and especially Beane, have their heads in Carolina. I think Allen is here because he looked like Cam Newton. The day after  the draft Beane on an WGR interview referenced Cam Newton by name when describing all the reasons Allen was drafted. 

I'm with you on a few things but not on some others. 

Tyrod needed to be benched based on his play the few weeks prior.  That benching pulled this team out of the downward spiral, albeit for different reasons that anticipated.  It lit a fire under Tyrod and he played much better down the stretch.  I don't believe we make the playoffs had we just rolled with Tyrod.  I do not understand at all why Peterman & Allen were the only 2

The FAs signed have been hit and miss...just like with just about every other team.  Some guys don't adjust well to the new environment, some just get old.  As for all the Carolina guys, that happens all the time when a coach leaves 1 team for another.  It helps build the locker room in the image the coach wants it to be.  Mike Tolbert was only on the team the full season for his veteran leadership in the locker room.  Having those types of guys is valuable to a 1st year coach.  Helps him know who is all in and who is not.  This is a team game.  IMO it's much harder to win when not all 11 or 22 or 53 players are in it for the same reason.  Having elite talent is great but if all the talent is pulling in different directions, it'll pull the team apart.  Building that culture is having all 53 moving in 1 direction and playing for the guy next to him moreso than himself. 

They absolutely did inherit the cap hell.  The contract Whaley & Co signed some players to was insane and we've been up against the cap for years as a result.  Think of all the dead money over the years due to the contracts given to Fitz, Mario, etc.  Do you think the unmotivated Dareus was a $100M man?  IMO McBeane had the foresight to eat all that dead cap money now to just get out from underneath it rather than just kicking the can down the road.  That will allow us to start fresh for once.  As I said, they've hit on a decent # of their draft picks so far and cutting the dead weight now will help ensure that we can resign Tre White, Edmunds, etc when the time comes.  I don't fault them for recognizing that Sammy would want ridiculous money that they did not feel he was worth and trading him.  It's like a baseball trade.  Get what you can before he walks for nothing.  You're right that we're not the only team with money but if Cleveland can get some FA's, then we can too.  You are also right that we need more speed on offense...a lot more speed.

I love the passing game for sure but over the years, more teams have won the Super Bowl playing strong defense with a ball control offense than with a high powered offense so I have no problem if that's the direction we go.  I also do believe that that type of play is more sustainable on a week to week basis over the coarse of a full season.

If after they've actually addressed the offense we are still only scoring 12 points a game, then I'll be ready to come to the same conclusion that you seem to have already come to.

Cheers, go Bills!!!

On 10/18/2018 at 11:16 PM, Bills Pimpin' said:

You do know that McD and Beane have a five year plan, right?

How’d The Process look today Bills Pimpin’? 

Since I’m not smart enough to understand anything hopefully you had a relaxing day on the wrong side of a 37-5 blowout. 

So happy McDermott and Beane have a plan.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

How’d The Process look today Bills Pimpin’? 

Since I’m not smart enough to understand anything hopefully you had a relaxing day on the wrong side of a 37-5 blowout. 

So happy McDermott and Beane have a plan.

That one must have really stuck to you this week.  That’s an A-1 post disaster thread bump.

Glad today was a positive for a few fans.