Jerry Hughes frustrated with Bills offense after Texans game

Rebel101

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In 2015, we were 6th worse in 3 and out percentage.

In 2016, we were 2nd worst.

Cant find 2017 but we know we were bad.

In 2017, we were 30th in time of possession.

In 2016, we were 25th.

2015, we were 8th.  That was good.

Every year we regressed.

Every year Taylor regressed.  Look at how bad he was in Cleveland...regression continues.

Not sure where exacty your numbers came from, but FootballOutsiders' Drive stats say we were:

2015: 32nd in 3&Out, 14th in TOP, 20th in Drive Success Rate

2016: 20th in 3&Out, 18th in TOP, 10th in Drive Success Rate

2017: 12th in 3&Out, 22nd in TOP, 21st in Drive Success Rate

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Okay, Peterman lost the game on the INT, but it wasn't like our offense didn't have ample time or opportunities to put up points before then. While Peterman needs to be off the team, he isn't the only reason we lost that game. 

Our Defense cannot win us games where the offense puts up less than 14 points. We've scored 25 points in the last three games, and Peterman, that's right, Peterman, threw our first TD pass in what, 8 quarters? likely more. Issues extend far beyond who our backup QB is, and frankly, I couldn't care less who we marched out there - it's a backup trying to salvage a rebuild year, not a super bowl season. 

Whether or not he meant this against our offense or the Texans running the jet sweep on the goalline, I'd be frustrated regardless if I were Hughes. He's having a career season, and at his age he won't be having many more years of those. It's difficult to watch, albeit necessary for the rebuild.

Great post! Actual football talk, I like it!

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

If the offense continues to be a "NO SHOW", I can't see the defense continuing to play it's heart out.

"Why Bother" will rule the day.

For GOD's sake something has to happen on offense. Some measure to make players and fans alike believe that McBeane is at least trying to field an NFL level offense.

YES, McBean seems very close to losing the whole locker room.

From your bat phone I assume?

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I am pretty sure he was talking about Houston running the jet sweep on the goal line stop.  I don't know why he that's what was going through his head, but he wasn't talking about the Bill's offense.  

Yep. I said that straight away on Sunday when the video first emerged. The Texans did run it multiple times. We didn't run a jet sweep that I recall. 

Okay, Peterman lost the game on the INT, but it wasn't like our offense didn't have ample time or opportunities to put up points before then. While Peterman needs to be off the team, he isn't the only reason we lost that game. 

Our Defense cannot win us games where the offense puts up less than 14 points. We've scored 25 points in the last three games, and Peterman, that's right, Peterman, threw our first TD pass in what, 8 quarters? likely more. Issues extend far beyond who our backup QB is, and frankly, I couldn't care less who we marched out there - it's a backup trying to salvage a rebuild year, not a super bowl season. 

Whether or not he meant this against our offense or the Texans running the jet sweep on the goalline, I'd be frustrated regardless if I were Hughes. He's having a career season, and at his age he won't be having many more years of those. It's difficult to watch, albeit necessary for the rebuild.

The offense absolutely sucked on Sunday.  It wasn't all allen or peterman either.  We had a ton of penalties.  Holds, multiple illegal formations - these were drive killers.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not sure where exacty your numbers came from, but FootballOutsiders' Drive stats say we were:

2015: 32nd in 3&Out, 14th in TOP, 20th in Drive Success Rate

2016: 20th in 3&Out, 18th in TOP, 10th in Drive Success Rate

2017: 12th in 3&Out, 22nd in TOP, 21st in Drive Success Rate

I knew you were going to respond!

I googled it...it wasn't Football Outsiders.  

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hughes' obvious frustration is exhibit A of why Peterman can no longer take the field.  He's strictly break glass in case of emergency.  I hope they finally waive him after Allen returns to health. 

in Peterman's defense, it is not entirely his fault. you see, his eyes are too close together. thereby making the ability to see opposing players within radius to snag interceptions out of the realm of his abilities.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

The offense absolutely sucked on Sunday.  It wasn't all allen or peterman either.  We had a ton of penalties.  Holds, multiple illegal formations - these were drive killers.   

It's most definitely the unit as a whole - those penalties absolutely killed us. There were one or two questionable calls, and certainly some big time no calls against the Texans defense (I think we all know which ones), but the game was always winnable regardless of how the flags flew, or didn't, too.

It's most definitely the unit as a whole - those penalties absolutely killed us. There were one or two questionable calls, and certainly some big time no calls against the Texans defense (I think we all know which ones), but the game was always winnable regardless of how the flags flew, or didn't, too.

Would've been cool if np could get the... 40 yards needed to win that game. 

11 hours ago, no name said:

when there done. I'll pass judgement. am I pleased, not really but I know there is still some time to right the ship. 

I still see no jauron in McD unless you mean defensive mind, then you could compare him to a few others as well. thing is, you and those others comparing to jauron are comparing a 3 year tenure to one season and six games. not done yet and even if they do fail, I'll still not compare them to jauron.

no, it was not. it's stupid to compare this regime to that of jaurons, in my opinion.

It's not stupid just because you don't agree. 

McDermott approaches the game almost the same way. Ride the running game, run clock, punt and play field position, ride the defense, and hope to win the turnover battle. 

When the Bills lose, its the Dick Jauron playbook - Watch tape and correct mistakes, throws he'd like to have back, delicate balance. 

The bedrock is McDermott is a conservative defensive minded Head Coach. Jauron was the same. Both loved the lunchpail guys, both overly obsessed with Special Teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

The Texans...

Apparently great minds think alike and are smart enough to get out of Western NY.

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It's not stupid just because you don't agree. 

McDermott approaches the game almost the same way. Ride the running game, run clock, punt and play field position, ride the defense, and hope to win the turnover battle. 

When the Bills lose, its the Dick Jauron playbook - Watch tape and correct mistakes, throws he'd like to have back, delicate balance. 

The bedrock is McDermott is a conservative defensive minded Head Coach. Jauron was the same. Both loved the lunchpail guys, both overly obsessed with Special Teams. 

Personally i cut all coaches and GMs of the Wilson erra some slack.

9 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Any team that has 1 side of the ball so far ahead of the other will lean on that side to try and win games.   No different than KC leaning on their offense this year.  They won’t stop anyone so they have to outscore teams to win.  We aren’t going to outscore anyone so we need to play strong defense to win.  Play to your strengths and right now, that is clearly our running game and defense.  That conservative nature helps keep the strength of our team from being put into bad positions.

Are you really saying that you only need 1 offseason’ s worth of moves to have all the evidence needed to come to the conclusion that McD & Beane cannot build an offense?  You like so many others appear to be making final decisions without really giving them a chance.  I wish the offense was better as well but just because it's not good right now, I'm not going to conclude that it never will be.  It appears that 50% of the players we've taken in the past 2 drafts (I'm not including Allen) could be 10+ year contributors and a few of those could be stars.  That bodes well for this group's ability to identify talent in the draft.  Considering the cap situation they inherited, I'm not sure what you expected out of FA this past offseason.  As for the trades, did you prefer the days of old when we'd just let guys walk for nothing?

They haven't shown anything to make fans think they do.

1. Benching Taylor last season for a 5th round rookie who threw 5 picks in one half, then saying you regret the outcome of the decision, not the decision itself. He appears to be a blind spot for this Coach.

2. Their FA acquisitions and trades are unimpressive. Mike Tolbert being kept as the only backup last season to McCoy, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Corey Coleman (I didn't hate the trade) but then cutting him a few weeks later, cutting Jeremy Kerley one day before Allen's first start, keep Kahari Lee for what, trading for Matthews who slow, fixating on Chris Ivory, quickly phasing out Cordy Glenn and trading him. They have an offense made up of fringe NFL players and overall the skill positions are slow. Kaolin Clay, Joe Webb - a lot of ex-Panthers. 

3. They didn't inherit a disaster, they opted to eat dead cap. Dareus didn't have to be traded, neither did Watkins, neither did Darby, neither did Glenn. They didn't have to ask Incognito to take a pay cut. Clearly they put focus on phasing out Doug Whaley. Now you've got to convince FA's to come to this offense. 

4. Nix ended the Bills constantly letting their best players walk by resigning Steve Johnson.

Fans will point to the pile of money next season and draft picks. But those things are not unique to the Bills. Other teams will have money, and draft picks, and the Bills will have to convince good players to join their offense. McCoy is slowing down at 30, Charles Clay is 29. 

5. You listen to McDermott speak about his ideal offense. Sorry, it sounds like Army in 1914. Running the ball with physicality in snowy Buffalo. How about making big plays happen, having a fast team. Instead its the cliche's about playing smart, respecting the football (even though the QB you love doesn't do that), even though our team has constant false starts and pre-snap penalties. Nothing about McDermott and Beane's team building looks congruent, thought out. Now we're signing a 35 year old who was on vacation and a week later he's starting now. 

6. To me, it's clear, McDermott and especially Beane, have their heads in Carolina. I think Allen is here because he looked like Cam Newton. The day after  the draft Beane on an WGR interview referenced Cam Newton by name when describing all the reasons Allen was drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1