Why the handling of the QBs wouldn't have changed anything

oldmanfan

16 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Let's not really review this whole QB thing, and pretend that no matter what we did, our record would be 2-4.

No. Let’s not. Instead let’s consider what a competent organization would do. Then maybe, by osmosis, the actual program would do it.

So at this point of the season would you rather have a guy that can step in that has been in & knows the offense or a guy that hasn't & only knows a small piece of it in a game while he is scrambling to learn it on the run add to it that he is older & hasn't played in 2 yrs ? brilliant deduction ...

It would have made a lot more sense to sign Bridgewater to a prove it deal by now he would have known the offense if they got him when he was traded at least there would have been some one that has shown he can still play at a high level & if he would have worked out you have a option to keep& play him or a trade chip next year to work with . 

On 10/18/2018 at 7:33 AM, oldmanfan said:

Let's review this whole QB thing, and see if things would have actually changed much if some of the things fans wanted had actually happened.  

1.  We keep McCarron and have him start the first 6 games.  Two things would have happened.  One, our record is no better and maybe worse, based on his play in preseason. People say Peterman wasn't as good as he showed in preseason.  Does that mean the reciprocal was true, i.e. McCarron would have been better?  Doubt it.  

2. McCarron doesn't do well, so people would have been screaming that Allen should be playing.  So Allen would have been playing anyway.

Or:

3.  We sign a guy like Anderson when we traded McCarron.  That should have been done IMHO.  Would our record be different?  Doubtful but maybe the same.  Would people be screaming to start Allen?  Yes.

4.  We should have kept Taylor, or spent a ton of $$ on a FA QB.  A short term benefit but illogical when you knew you were taking a young guy high in round 1.

So really it boils down to this:  the only real difference we have between where we are this week and if we had signed a guy at the end of camp is the guy, Anderson, would have a few more weeks to prepare.  And Allen would be sitting this week as he is anyway, only with 4 fewer starts to date.  Would that have changed things appreciably?  Can't say for sure but I tend to doubt it.

And fans would be screaming either way

I read something somewhere that the Bills actually reached out to Derek Anderson quite a while ago.  I think he was enjoying the time, not having to go through the rigors of training camp and being with his family.  Option #3 may not have been available to Buffalo.

All 4 rooks came out strong. Then teams got the tape and it's been downhill since for the mighty 4 with a few climbing back. Baker obviously has done the best job and there's a reason he went #1 and the rest fall in order of their pick. Allen does have the most upside and if he realizes his potential, he may climb over Darnold to #2. I think Baker will have a Brees like career.  

10 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I read something somewhere that the Bills actually reached out to Derek Anderson quite a while ago.  I think he was enjoying the time, not having to go through the rigors of training camp and being with his family.  Option #3 may not have been available to Buffalo.

They did! Steve Tasker stated on his show that the Bills were in talks with Anderson before they signed AJ McCarron and he was weighing options of which team to choose to sign with. The Bills FO knows Anderson from his time at Carolina and that he did well in mentoring Cam Newton. So this is the Veteran QB the Bills were eyeing all along. They also knew that he wasn't going to give them a hard time while being a backup like McCarron would have done as he wanted to start.

As far as Peterman is concerned I can see why this FO went with him as the starter for the season/Ravens game as he did so well in preseason as he had an insanely good completion percentage of 80% and was fourth in passing with 440 yards. McCarron stunk in preseason especially for most of the game against the Bears until they brought in their third stringers. Although, the FO has no excuse for keeping Peterman as a backup QB after that horrid performance against the Ravens week one. 

This FO did it right considering the options at hand at that time in terms of QBs at the start of the season, IMHO. The bigger problem is with the offensive line, WR corps and I can only think that there weren't what they considered better options out there.

The Bills are very lucky that Josh Allen's injury wasn't more severe. Let's hope that Anderson does well enough and the Bills OC simplifies the offense while calling more running plays so that Allen can sit, learn and develop properly.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, John from Riverside said:

Crusading is a TOS Violation

Got it, hall monitor.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Well, with your choice of name it’ll be tough for JA to ever win you over, eh? Kind of limits the ceiling he can ever have in your book without you looking silly. But hey, let’s revisit @ end of this year, maybe you’ll be the smart one! 

I already know that I am.  McBeane will be gone in 2 years and Allen will be the latest Bills QB bust.  Another 3 seasons wasted because the FO went against ALL odds and drafted a project QB that had no business being taken in the 1st round.  Can't get any more BIllsy.

Edited by AllenWillBust

46 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Got it, hall monitor.

I already know that I am.  McBeane will be gone in 2 years and Allen will be the latest Bills QB bust.  Another 3 seasons wasted because the FO went against ALL odds and drafted a project QB that had no business being taken in the 1st round.  Can't get any more BIllsy.

So are you ready to say the same thing about Josh Rosen after his last epically historically bad performance? Just curious if the same hot take standards apply across all of the rookies or just for JA?

42 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So are you ready to say the same thing about Josh Rosen after his last epically historically bad performance? Just curious if the same hot take standards apply across all of the rookies or just for JA?

I would have to pay as much attention to the other rookie QB's as I do Allen, as much attention to the other teams and their FO's, and what they have done in the last few drafts etc, I do not.

What's damning about Allen being selected is the pre-draft info on him, yet the Bills selected him anyways, now they have to deal with the consequences. So far Allen is what all the pundits said he would be, what his college career projected he would be.

Edited by AllenWillBust

28 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

I would have to pay as much attention to the other rookie QB's as I do Allen, as much attention to the other teams and their FO's, and what they have done in the last few drafts etc, I do not.

What's damning about Allen being selected is the pre-draft info on him, yet the Bills selected him anyways, now they have to deal with the consequences. So far Allen is what all the pundits said he would be, what his college career projected he would be.

The same pundits that thought the Browns were gonna draft him at 1 ? 

Quit being a clown with an agenda.    Pretty funny how you were MIA after Allen killed the Vikings. 

Edited by Teddy KGB

Once Wentz was healthy back week 3 and playing the obvious choice for me would have been Foles and still could be if Beane wanted to after seeing the week 1 debacle with Peterman. I wanted us to pursue him last offseason. 

He would have been absolutely perfect at age 29 for Allen as a mentor and beyond if he tore it up for us. 

For some reason Beane and half of Bills fans will say no to a Super Bowl MVP that absolutely shredded the Patriots with straight lasers for 373yds and 4tds on the biggest stage in the NFL like it's some kinda fluke.

Right now I bet McCoy and a 2nd rounder gets it done. 

Handling of the QB position absolutely could have changed things when our D basically handed us 3 wins this year as we sit here 2-4 with one of the worst O's statistically the league has seen in the modern era.

Edited by Real McCoy

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, oldmanfan said:

Let's review this whole QB thing, and see if things would have actually changed much if some of the things fans wanted had actually happened.  

1.  We keep McCarron and have him start the first 6 games.  Two things would have happened.  One, our record is no better and maybe worse, based on his play in preseason. People say Peterman wasn't as good as he showed in preseason.  Does that mean the reciprocal was true, i.e. McCarron would have been better?  Doubt it.  

2. McCarron doesn't do well, so people would have been screaming that Allen should be playing.  So Allen would have been playing anyway.

Or:

3.  We sign a guy like Anderson when we traded McCarron.  That should have been done IMHO.  Would our record be different?  Doubtful but maybe the same.  Would people be screaming to start Allen?  Yes.

4.  We should have kept Taylor, or spent a ton of $$ on a FA QB.  A short term benefit but illogical when you knew you were taking a young guy high in round 1.

So really it boils down to this:  the only real difference we have between where we are this week and if we had signed a guy at the end of camp is the guy, Anderson, would have a few more weeks to prepare.  And Allen would be sitting this week as he is anyway, only with 4 fewer starts to date.  Would that have changed things appreciably?  Can't say for sure but I tend to doubt it.

And fans would be screaming either way

The biggest gamble was NP being the bridge over troubled waters.  Some would say Bridgewater could've been the answer, but, just wishful thinking.  Coach put his hopes on NP.  The miscalculation was the college-level receivers and O line.  Bridgewater or anyone would be running for his life.  Like in golf, we are a 18 handicapper going against a scratch golfer, and not getting enough strokes in the bet on the first tee.  Let's just be happy with seeing the process get us 4 wins, and a high draft pick.

6 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

I’m not trying to pick on you or get into an extended back and forth with both of our minds already made up, but you’re kind of making my point—Rosen was one of the ones declared most “pro ready” and that he was incredibly accurate, etc. The knock on him was potentially attitude but not his abilities under center. And yet, here we are. Draft prognosticators are fumbling around as much in the dark as you or I from the outside looking in. The Bills took a swing for the fences which I applaud, because for too long the Bills gave us nothing but playing it safe and look where that got us. The Bills selected the QB (of the ones left on the board at 7) with the most physical tools objectively, and most upside for his ceiling. I can’t fault them for going for the home run. If we had Rosen and he turned in his performances in a Bills uni, you’d probably be one of the fans saying something about how the Bills got it wrong again too, so really, where would that leave us? Lamar? Mason? No thanks. I’m still cautiously optimistic that we’ve got good things coming our way after JA comes back. 

8 hours ago, AllenWillBust said:

Got it, hall monitor.

Nobody is going to pay attn to a poster who is never here after the team wins

45 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

ooh, one decent game so far, well done by Allen.  I'm not on these forums all the time.

What a lame excuse

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

...EVERY damn kid in this QB class is a long, long, LONG way off from determining whether they will be good, bad or indifferent at this level.......when talking about Kaep during his rise, circa 20+ games in, an NFL exec said the "standard window of evaluation is roughly 50 games".....but what the hell would he know versus TBD?...........

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

ooh, one decent game so far, well done by Allen.  I'm not on these forums all the time.

Did you attend the University of Wyoming? 

Did all the girls want to talk to Allen instead of you ? 

I don’t get the super stan avatar schtick