Draft another QB

Dkollidas

8 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Think again. A guy by the name of Big Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Ohio) was drafted in the 1st round (#11 overall) in the 2004 draft. Last time I looked, Miami (Ohio) was in the MAC.

Thanks for pointing out the 1 QB that was drafted highly out of the MAC. 

8 hours ago, #34fan said:

I'd go ahead and grab both... Johnson in the 2nd, and Jackson around the 4th...  Some see Tyree as a 3rd, but that seems a bit high... Depends on how the MAC shakes out for UB, and how Tyree does in UB's Bowl game...

I could get behind this 

Here is a list according to Spotrac of 2019 FA QBs:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

The list....is ugly, to say the least.

Out of that list, Trevor Siemian and Nate Sudfeld interest me the most for different reasons. The rest of that list, is not...ideal. Fitzy is on this list, but if  you're getting a back-up QB that could possibly need to lead your team for weeks or like Foles did into the playoffs last year, as much as I love the guy - he's not it. 

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Depends on how FA goes for us. Drafting another QB is not a need if we can get a solid back up in FA, which is what I expect us to do.

McCown, Fitz, Siemian, Fales, Cassell are all available. 

I'd take one of the first 3. Less so the last two. The problem with Fitz is if Josh struggles or gets hurt Fitz is the kinda guy who can, even if only briefly, give you a QB controversy. 

Still I think I might start a "Bring Fitz Home" campaign. 

• Like (+1) 1

We should be drafting a QB every single year until we are sure we found a "franchise" guy.  I wouldn't want a guy in the first or second or anything quite yet, but after the 2nd, absolutely.

28 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thanks for pointing out the 1 QB that was drafted highly out of the MAC. 

I could get behind this 

How about Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington?  Also first round picks back when Marshall was in the MAC.  Charlie Batch 2nd Round.  Just sayin.

I've seen Jackson projected in the first by some...but I don't buy it.  I think he's looking like a 3-5 guy right now, but he has potential to blow people away in workouts / combine.

Edited by Mark80

Guest Mike147
11 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

The Bills literally have the worst offensive line and wide receivers in the league. That is not an exaggeration. Steve Young looked like crap playing with the same kind of bottom feeder talent in his first two years in Tampa Bay.

The owner made his choice of head coach and GM,...they in turn made their choice of future franchise QB in Josh Allen. The next step in this progression is getting a big upgrade in talent around Josh Allen. This is the one and only answer.

If someone doesn't like it, or doesn't have any belief it will happen for Josh Allen, then they will have to simply wait for the whole darn thing to fail and that won't happen until 2020 at the earliest.

I think fans forget how bad the talent level is on offense. Tom Brady would look bad here.

Tom Brady might not be MVP Tom Brady here, but he is the type of player that can raise his teammates up to a level that other quarterbacks simply couldn't. He's got more out of average receivers than anyone else could have done. How many elite receivers has Brady had in New England? He had Randy Moss for a short spell, and Wes Welker was an elite slot guy, but he's had to make do with a lot of average receivers that wouldn't have got half the yardage they did elsewhere.

I suspect Brady could come here and perform with at least 90+ QB rating, compete 60+ percent of his passes, and throw more TDs than INTs even with our O-line and receiving core.  He's that good. We'd be an above .500 team with Brady.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that Allen needs more support on the O-line and receiving core. He's not Brady and never will be. He's more likely to be a Cam Newton caliber passer, someone that will throw for 3500 yards and complete less than 60 pct of their passes, and utilizes his running ability. But as long as he gets us wins that's all that matters. 

11 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Please stop overreacting.  he has zero supporting cast around him.  Let's be real, Tom Brady wouldn't be that successful with our "O" line and our Receiving Corps.  Remember that Peyton Manning was absolute garbage during his rookie year and so were many others.  When are we gonna have the mentality to stop jumping ship every year for 1st year players/coaches?  Dynasties do NOT happen over night.  I know it's been growing pains for a while now, but it's difficult to build a franchise when we clean house almost every year.  Be patient and let Josh Allen develop.  He will be successful! 

Peyton Manning still threw 26 TDs as a rookie to 28 INTs. Ok that's pretty bad and his PCT was sub 60, but Peyton did show an ability to throw TDs and due to good coaching he retained that prolific scoring rate and reduced his turnover rate, and competed 60+ PCT of his passes for the rest of his career (minus his final year when his arm was gone). In college he was prolific and accurate. Josh Allen was not prolific or accurate in college, and inaccuracy is very difficult to fix and tends not to improve in the NFL in most cases. So while it's early days for Josh, he is going to have to buck the trend by becoming a 60 plus PCT guy as a pro when he's not showed that in college or school, and also become a more prolific passer. It's not impossible but it's going to be very difficult for him.

As for Brady, he'd have success here because he raises the performance level of those around him. He makes average players into good players, and good players into great players. He's made players like Danny Amendola look better than they really are, and he's made Julian Edelman look special when he's just a decent receiver. Brady's decision making and getting the ball out are superior, which would help his O-line.  So while I wouldn't expect MVP caliber production, I think he'd still be very good with us.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd take one of the first 3. Less so the last two. The problem with Fitz is if Josh struggles or gets hurt Fitz is the kinda guy who can, even if only briefly, give you a QB controversy. 

Still I think I might start a "Bring Fitz Home" campaign. 

I'd be good with a Fitz return to Buffalo as our backup QB. 

Why is everyone so sensitive about bringing in another qb?  It doesn’t have to be a 1st but why keep neglecting the most important position in sports?  Allen wasn’t that great in the MWC.  Obviously it’s way too soon to cut bait but you should do whatever you can to solve this.  Best case scenario is both guys develop and you have a great trade chip. 

I was a big defender of EJ and JP.  I thought it was stupid how quickly some fans wanted to give up on them.  Well, we passed on Rodgers because we had JP and Derek Carr because we had Manuel.  And EJ had a better start to his career than Allen.  Think about that.

no other position matters as much as qb.  Instead of trading up to take Zay, they could have takenJuJu (who I loved) or Cooper Kupp.  Instead of taking Ray Ray, they could have taken ESB who is making plays in Green Bay.  And guess what helps all receivers? A good qb.

19 minutes ago, Mike147 said:

Tom Brady might not be MVP Tom Brady here, but he is the type of player that can raise his teammates up to a level that other quarterbacks simply couldn't. He's got more out of average receivers than anyone else could have done. How many elite receivers has Brady had in New England? He had Randy Moss for a short spell, and Wes Welker was an elite slot guy, but he's had to make do with a lot of average receivers that wouldn't have got half the yardage they did elsewhere.

I suspect Brady could come here and perform with at least 90+ QB rating, compete 60+ percent of his passes, and throw more TDs than INTs even with our O-line and receiving core.  He's that good. We'd be an above .500 team with Brady.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that Allen needs more support on the O-line and receiving core. He's not Brady and never will be. He's more likely to be a Cam Newton caliber passer, someone that will throw for 3500 yards and complete less than 60 pct of their passes, and utilizes his running ability. But as long as he gets us wins that's all that matters. 

Peyton Manning still threw 26 TDs as a rookie to 28 INTs. Ok that's pretty bad and his PCT was sub 60, but Peyton did show an ability to throw TDs and due to good coaching he retained that prolific scoring rate and reduced his turnover rate, and competed 60+ PCT of his passes for the rest of his career (minus his final year when his arm was gone). In college he was prolific and accurate. Josh Allen was not prolific or accurate in college, and inaccuracy is very difficult to fix and tends not to improve in the NFL in most cases. So while it's early days for Josh, he is going to have to buck the trend by becoming a 60 plus PCT guy as a pro when he's not showed that in college or school, and also become a more prolific passer. It's not impossible but it's going to be very difficult for him.

As for Brady, he'd have success here because he raises the performance level of those around him. He makes average players into good players, and good players into great players. He's made players like Danny Amendola look better than they really are, and he's made Julian Edelman look special when he's just a decent receiver. Brady's decision making and getting the ball out are superior, which would help his O-line.  So while I wouldn't expect MVP caliber production, I think he'd still be very good with us.

Good post.  To add:

1) Manning was one of the best college players of the last 30 years.

2). Brady was a 60% passer in college.  

I think it shoild worry people mire that Allen was far from dominance in a sub power 5 conference.

12 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

The Bills literally have the worst offensive line and wide receivers in the league. That is not an exaggeration. Steve Young looked like crap playing with the same kind of bottom feeder talent in his first two years in Tampa Bay.

The owner made his choice of head coach and GM,...they in turn made their choice of future franchise QB in Josh Allen. The next step in this progression is getting a big upgrade in talent around Josh Allen. This is the one and only answer.

If someone doesn't like it, or doesn't have any belief it will happen for Josh Allen, then they will have to simply wait for the whole darn thing to fail and that won't happen until 2020 at the earliest.

I think fans forget how bad the talent level is on offense. Tom Brady would look bad here.

I understand Allen is a work in progress and that his supporting cast isn’t top of the line but a lot of the offensive problems start with Josh Allen. To say Tom Brady will be bad here is ridiculous. The patriots have won championships with bad receivers Tom Brady makes people better. The Oline wouldn’t be a factor he’d still pick a defense apart with short quick routes the same ones that Daboll doesn’t know how to run 

7 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I understand Allen is a work in progress and that his supporting cast isn’t top of the line but a lot of the offensive problems start with Josh Allen. To say Tom Brady will be bad here is ridiculous. The patriots have won championships with bad receivers Tom Brady makes people better. The Oline wouldn’t be a factor he’d still pick a defense apart with short quick routes the same ones that Daboll doesn’t know how to run 

Strongly disagree.  With better talent, Allen > Brady.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

i think this is correct, and IF the Front Office can't put together a better roster on offense, no amount of talent at QB is likely to make that much difference.

Let's see if they can put together an O-line and a good group of receivers.  So far, the answer is loud no.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Strongly disagree.  With better talent, Allen > Brady.

Haha you aren’t serious are you? Maybe one day in a few years, but you can’t possibly think that at this point in time. Allen can’t even read a defense pre or post snap. He has no pocket awareness or pocket movement. He is inaccurate, incapable of knowing which route is open against a certain coverage, and he doesn’t know how to beat pressure. I can continue but I feel like no matter what I say your mind is made up that Allen is better then Brady. Please tell me why

13 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I’m not saying it has to be a top-10 Pick, but if Allen misses major time and doesn’t show anything when he comes back, I think we need to either...

1) trade down, gather picks for 2020 and try again for a QB

2) draft a guy anywhere in rounds 2-4. Stidham, Jackson from UB are just s couple of the multitude of possibilities. 

Yes no or maybe? 

Their not drafting another $%#@!% QB in 2019!

13 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

These are my thoughts exactly. I am an Allen doubter and see the OP’s point but it just isn’t happening. The Allen experiment will either work or fail, I don’t see it being second guessed.

I like Josh Allen but he is a QB that will need 3 years to develop. The front office was negligent and showed their inexperience in not having quality depth at QB.

A QB needs to be attained via FA and the draft. McBeane will need to  gain draft picks to address the holes they created in the prior season. Teddy Bridgewater and a 3rd or 4th round QB can work. Our first round pick should be a highly desirable pick and should generate 1 or 2 additional picks. Unless there is a stud in the first that we can't say no to, start building the offense period. Lets get the T and G. Receivers that can compliment each other 2 solid possession guys and burner that can stretch the field (kind of like Woods, Watkins and Goodwin). Don't leave out a RB.

I think there will be more than one opportunity to move down but do they have the scouting that will allow late round success?