Draft another QB

Dkollidas

Allen is week to week, not severely injured, lets get that out of the way.  The only way that drafting a QB makes sense in the next draft is  if a decently rated qb falls to the 4th or 5th round and they are drafted to be groomed as a backup/failsafe option.   Buffalo invested too much in Allen and people are giving up way too soon.    For better or worse, Buffalo isn't drafting another QB high for at least two more years.

I'm practically driving the "Allen is probably too raw to make it" bus and even I think we need to wait until after the season to make this kind of decision. We don't know that he won't come back much improved after the injury. The way I see it there are three outcomes:

1. Allen makes a leap in the second half of the year, and so all we need is a new back up going into next year.

2. Allen slowly improves but isn't where we'd hoped he'd be by year end. As a result we bring in a starting caliber QB and make Allen compete for the job in training camp. If he's the right guy he'll win that battle.

3. Allen continues to look terrible, and there's zero improvement start to finish. We bring in a starting caliber QB to compete for the job, and we draft another QB of the future perhaps even with our first round pick. 

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’m a fan of getting the kid from UB. 

I know they are playing lights out right now and mostly because of him. But where is he expected to go? I highly doubt a kid from UB in the MAC is getting drafted as early as round 3-5 no matter what he does. 

And yes, don’t bother reminding me about Mack. And yes, I already know the WR Johnson is slated to go in the first few rounds as well. 

Think again. A guy by the name of Big Ben Roethlisberger (Miami Ohio) was drafted in the 1st round (#11 overall) in the 2004 draft. Last time I looked, Miami (Ohio) was in the MAC.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’m a fan of getting the kid from UB. 

I know they are playing lights out right now and mostly because of him. But where is he expected to go? I highly doubt a kid from UB in the MAC is getting drafted as early as round 3-5 no matter what he does. 

And yes, don’t bother reminding me about Mack. And yes, I already know the WR Johnson is slated to go in the first few rounds as well. 

I'd go ahead and grab both... Johnson in the 2nd, and Jackson around the 4th...  Some see Tyree as a 3rd, but that seems a bit high... Depends on how the MAC shakes out for UB, and how Tyree does in UB's Bowl game...

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

please just stop this.

Jim Kelley went 4-12 his first year.  And that is after having 2 years to warm up in the USFL.

Way way way too early to start this discussion … again.

THIS 110%......my gawd peeps - stop drinking the koolaid and huffing the paint.

It.  Is.  Going.  To.  Take.  Time.  Sit back relax a bit - drink a beer, rake your freaking leaves but for the love of all things holy LEAVE YOUR KEYBOARD ALONE!  Yes this means YOU!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

To me this is not so much about Josh Allen as it is the fact that Peterman is a bust if you can call a fifth round pick that there needs to be another QB on the roster whether it be a veteran or a after the first round draft pick of a QB I don’t want to reach for a QB in this next draft I want to draft supporting cast for a QB because we just used a seventh overall pick on a rock UB he needs protection he needs A running game and he needs past catchers that not only will catch the ball if it’s not perfect but will break tackles and do something with it after they catch it

Guy, use a period once in awhile. You wonder why I look down at you, then you throw up this. 

The OP was clearly talking about Allen, Peterman won't be here next year.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Worst receivers?    No question.

Worst offensive line?   Very debatable.

Lot's of bad O-lines around the league.

Totally agree. I estimated last week about how many teams don't need pretty significant oline upgrade. I put the number at about 8. For a couple of years the cry here was "Dallas has a great oline they must have some backups who would be upgrades...." well now look at their line missing a couple of pieces and with a rookie and a backup filling in. It is still far better than ours but no longer anything like dominant. The NFL has a major oline talent issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Guy, use a period once in awhile. You wonder why I look down at you, then you throw up this. 

The OP was clearly talking about Allen, Peterman won't be here next year.

Chief.....where in the world would you ever think that you look down on me......I am beyond you.

Get over yourself

Being a dumb post but a good idea are not mutually exclusive. The OP is correct that they should draft another QB. Of course not in the first round but I would have no problem in any other round. How many QB have the Patriots drafted and traded away. Washington took two in one year.

But the idea of drafting another QB because of how Allen has played so far is insane. He is a rookie QB playing as well or better than the rookie MLB. 

I have no issue drafting a QB every year. Maybe they land Brees in the 2nd, Wilson in the 3rd, Brady in the 6th, or hell Romo after the draft. Keep going to the well until you find a superstar. If you find two then you trade one for more assets.

They have taken a QB in the draft the last 3 years. Not the right ones in my mind but that is still progress compared to the years when we almost steadfastly refused to pick Quarterbacks. 

They should take one in this draft if the opportunity arises. Not in the 1st... I am not giving up on Allen yet and I don't love this class anyway. But if there was a guy there in rounds 2 or 3 or 4 who made sense they should absolutely pick him. Your aim in every draft should be the find a QB that makes sense with one of your picks. 

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

It's not a terrible idea but it will never happen imo. These coaches and GMs have enormous egos, selecting a QB in rounds 1-2 would be them admitting they tailed with Allen and it's way too early for anyone to make that call.

the pats are always drafting qbs.  they took jimmy g in the 2nd. 

Depends on how FA goes for us. Drafting another QB is not a need if we can get a solid back up in FA, which is what I expect us to do.

McCown, Fitz, Siemian, Fales, Cassell are all available. 

Edited by H2o

8 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

please just stop this.

Jim Kelley went 4-12 his first year.  And that is after having 2 years to warm up in the USFL.

Way way way too early to start this discussion … again.

I don't know why everyone keeps throwing this out there.  Please go back and show me where he looked as awful as Allen in his first year. He averaged around 225yds per game and close to 60% completion. That was all in a different era of football that didn't favor the passing game. Also, can we stop using wins and losses as though this isn't a team game? You take away some garbage time GB stats and it's pretty clear that Allen isn't ready and isn't even close to Kelly's level. Hell, he isn't even on EJs level. EJ looked much better all season.