Is hitting QB's on the arm roughing the passer?

BBills88

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

A flag was thrown???

You are now the dictator on illegal hits?  

Get over yerself and quick 

Are you okay? Like, you really seem to take this whole opinion of others stuff overly serious. It is a message board, man. I honestly have no reply.

giphy.gif

Edited by Paulus

The guy got hit in a fast paced, physical sport. 

The 15 yards from the flag on that play are irrelevant and don't change anything. I'm not sure what anyone is complaining about.

Flag or no flag, Allen is still hurt, which is more of a concern. Or as they've said, maybe a blessing in disguise, and I'm not disagreeing with that possibility.

I don't know why everything has to be one extreme or the other these days...

Extremes #1: Either the refs cost us the game or there is no bias what so ever in NFL officiating

Can't we agree that, generally, the Bills get the short end of the stick from the officials, but that is usually not why we lose the games...usually it is because we are the less talented team or we shoot ourselves in the foot. Still it can be frustrating feeling like you're facing an uphill climb sometimes with the officials.

Extremes #2: Brady gets every call/there is no bias towards protecting Brady or other star QBs

Tom has taken a lot of hits that don't get called...but they also made a new rule after he got his knee blown out and I do remember Jerry Hughes getting called for unsportsman like conduct against Brady after Tom got sacked in one game for simply patting his teammate on the helmet to congratulate him.

And to the hit on Allen...I don't think it was a dirty hit, but I do think they were late hits that should have been flagged (and may have been for a star QB). Remember the incident with Cam a couple of years ago, where the ref basically told him he hadn't been in the league long enough to get those calls yet (doesn't help to be a running QB either, though I don't think that played a part in the hit on Allen).

Sometimes you have to acknowledge both sides of an argument.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Yeah...sorry pal, not speaking of "this" season as a history lesson. Speaking vaguely of history in general. What we've ALL seen time and time again. 

The only whining is coming from you, who takes this quip and tries to make it "politically correct". Get over it man, I wasn't speaking necessarily as fact, just calling it as I, and I alone, see it. 

Thanks for comment tho?

And you're still wrong.  This has been debunked here many times.

21 hours ago, K-9 said:

Looking at Brady cross-eyed while he’s in the pocket is considered roughing the passer.

Soon D-lineman will have to chew minty gum so their breath will not offend Brady. 

Perfect scenario: Pats are 1st and goal at the Bills half yard line. Send the village.....beat the crap out of Brady. UN-SPORTSMAN-LIKE CONDUCT, TARGETING, ROUGHING THE PASSER....still first down, half the distance to the goal. Make sure it's 3rd stringers who get suspended.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, COTC said:

It’s a fact the refs favor patriots* especially Tom.  

In this scenario, yes, 100% a penalty.  

If we are playing the Jets, it could go either way. 

Refs have long been suspected of doing everything in their power to change the outcome of our games. 

Bills are at the very bottom of the totem pole. 

Bills are the Washington Generals of the NFL

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

Tom Brady doesn't get calls that no other QB gets in the last 15 years? Ok. Lol

Why not just look it up before you ask an easily answerable question? (it's all been posted here in the past)

In the past 10 years:

Brady has been the beneficiary of 25 RTP flags.  That's good for the #8 spot for QBs over the past 10 years. 

Brady has gotten a RTP call on 0.40 times per 100 pass attempts.  That puts him at #27 on the list.

Brady has been sacked 293 times in 10 years.  That's 9th most. 

And who is the king of drawing RTP penalties (and it's not even close)?  None other than Ryan Fitzmagic, with 38 over 10 years.  His RTP per 100 attempts is a whopping 1.04, which places him at #3 over the past 10 years----and he's only been sacked 195 times in 118 games.

So, you should really be posting that Magic Fitzbeardy gets the calls that no other QB gets, right?

Get to work!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why not just look it up before you ask an easily answerable question? (it's all been posted here in the past)

In the past 10 years:

Brady has been the beneficiary of 25 RTP flags.  That's good for the #8 spot for QBs over the past 10 years. 

Brady has gotten a RTP call on 0.40 times per 100 pass attempts.  That puts him at #27 on the list.

And who is the king of drawing RTP penalties (and it's not even close)?  None other than Ryan Fitzmagic, with 38 over 10 years.  His RTP per 100 attempts is a whopping 1.04, which places him at #3 over the past 10 years----and he's only been sacked 195 times in 118 games.

So, you should really be posting that Magic Fitzbeardy gets the calls that no other QB gets, right?

Get to work!

Switching between rates and hard numbers is a pretty obvious tell that youre full of poo with your "statistics." I mean, base your info off one form of measurment and reach a sound conclusion, accordingly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Paulus said:

Switching between rates and hard numbers is a pretty obvious tell that youre full of poo with your "statistics." I mean, base your info off one form of measurment and reach a sound conclusion, accordingly. 

A. It's not "my" info. 

B.  You're new to statistics, aren't you?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the past 10 years:

Get to work!

FFS....I didn't say a damn thing about stats. Nor did I intend to. I ain't doing a lick of work to prove that Marsha has gotten calls that nobody else has throughout his entire career. It was a quip. And it had nothing to do with you, or ANYBODY. So kindly Stfu and stop trying to prove me wrong for something I stated  in passing humor.

If I said the sky was blue, you'd try to give me science proving that its actually just how the human eye sees it in relation to optical nerves and gases in the atmosphere. Kindly end your misguided crusade sweety. Your being an annoying drag

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

FFS....I didn't say a damn thing about stats. Nor did I intend to. I ain't doing a lick of work to prove that Marsha has gotten calls that nobody else has throughout his entire career. It was a quip. And it had nothing to do with you, or ANYBODY. So kindly Stfu and stop trying to prove me wrong for something I stated  in passing humor.

If I said the sky was blue, you'd try to give me science proving that its actually just how the human eye sees it in relation to optical nerves and gases in the atmosphere. Kindly end your misguided crusade sweety. Your being an annoying drag

Wow, look at you!!

You should stick to "speaking vaguely, in general".  You're really good a it!

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A. It's not "my" info. 

A) Your cherry picking is just so obvious, and sad.

B) Your "facts" are weak, and "logic" flawed.

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

giphy.webp

He showed that Fitz has drawn more, draws them at a higher rate.

fewer attempts and far fewer sacks (presumably fewer hits) and more flags. 

He blends some formatting but are you even alleging?

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A. It's not "my" info. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story. They don’t tell when the penalties occurred and what effect they had. Don’t say if they were game changing or called after the game was settled. In this context, your stats are useless...

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

giphy.webp

It's not cherry picking.  Here are all the numbers.  Have someone help you go through it...I've tried my best to help you.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php

3 hours ago, Fred Clause said:

Stats don’t tell the whole story. They don’t tell when the penalties occurred and what effect they had. Don’t say if they were game changing or called after the game was settled. In this context, your stats are useless...

See above.  For Brady, it works out to 2.5 call per season.  It's a rare event.  So far, in 6 of those seasons, he has had only 1 or 2 for an entire season.  How much "game changing" do you imagine in your mind resulted from these rare calls (since "stats are useless" for you)? 

Come on, bring us your best stuff and settle this for us.  

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

He showed that Fitz has drawn more, draws them at a higher rate.

fewer attempts and far fewer sacks (presumably fewer hits) and more flags. 

He blends some formatting but are you even alleging?

I was literally reading a published spreadsheet for them.  This is what happens when a tired old cliché gets popped--they just refuse to believe the obvious.