NFL worried about Chargers viability in LA

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

-other leagues played 18 game seasons.

-game situation would be mitigated with my 2 byes etc etc I noted earlier.

-draft being later is absolutely no factor as season ends only one week later so no factor. draft stays on week it is.

season now runs Sept 9 to Dec 30 and Super Bowl is 2-3-19 = 22 weeks

I start 18 game season w 2 byes Labor Day weekend like it did for decades Sept 2. Skip the two week layoff before Super Bowl. So early start and no break only adds one week to end of when season ends now. Season ends only one calender week later on Feb 10.

my season runs Sept 2 to Feb 10. 

Can't stand 18 games. 

It waters down the product. The rosters expand, so players that normally would be cut are now playing.

Before the NFL changed scheduling to emphasize Divisional games late in the year, the good teams that had already clinched were resting guys 2 weeks before the Playoffs started. 

Its a stupid money grab to sell more commercials and dilutes the importance of winning in a tighter 16 game schedule. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

7 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I haven't, but some of the NFL's renovation jobs (Soldier Field and Joe Robbie/Hard Rock for instance), are essentially new stadiums.  I could see them doing that if it were a cheaper alternative to a new stadium.

Soldier was not a remodel. There is essentially nothing left of that stadium except the outer ring. The inside was gutted and a completely new stadium was built w/in its confines. Toured it this spring. Ugly!! 

They talked about fan engagement being important in the Dodgers series and they weren't wrong. This is the NLCS!!

Los Angeles is an attractive city in many ways, but their fans are the worst.

I live in Vegas and it's gonna be even worse. The hockey team had a miracle run last year, so a lot of people jumped on board. I could probably buy a Knights jersey for .50 cents now. 

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I mean who would have thunk it?

Seth WickershamVerified account @SethWickersham
FollowFollow @SethWickersham
More

A major discussion topic among NFL owners/executives at this week’s league meetings is the Chargers’ viability in LA. PSL sales have been a struggle and team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number: $400m to around $150m, per sources

Yeah, I don't remember why the Raiders and Rams left back in the 90s, but they go 20 years without a team and then think it's a good idea to try again, but with 2 teams, instead of one.   The only part that made sense was building only one stadium to share.  That way, if one team, like the Chargers, doesn't draw enough interest, they still have one team to play in the stadium.

Now, from a marketing strategy, having PSLs is a good idea if demand far exceeds supply.  Otherwise, if they're counting on PSLs to fund the stadium build, and fans decide they'll just buy individual games, they're screwed.   Actually, despite the wealth in Southern California, expecting people to shell out a few thousand for the right to buy tickets that are already $200+ each, along with parking and $15 beers was risky.

57 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They talked about fan engagement being important in the Dodgers series and they weren't wrong. This is the NLCS!!

Los Angeles is an attractive city in many ways, but their fans are the worst.

I live in Vegas and it's gonna be even worse. The hockey team had a miracle run last year, so a lot of people jumped on board. I could probably buy a Knights jersey for .50 cents now. 

Ive heard the opposite about vegas. Is it just becoming a tourist attraction rather than getting locals this year?

11 hours ago, yungmack said:

This is exactly the opposite of the truth. For decades, the Rams were always among the attendance leaders. They began to lose their mojo when Frontiere took over the team. In spite of Al Davis's bizarre behavior and attempts to extract ever more money out of the area, the Raiders were -- and remain -- wildly popular in the area. Sc and UCLA have rabid followings and pull in large crowds when the teams are good. High school football is huge throughout the area. I don't know why people keep making these knuckleheaded statements. It's right up there with "Trump's a fantastic businessman." In other words, it's a belief that flies in the face of facts, history, reality.

Those chargers games looked packed in the 20k seat stadium. Word has it they almost sell out.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I’ve said this ever since I lived in LA, it is not an NFL town.  

It really isn't. Wait until the Rams have been in town for a few years and the novelty wears off, spending $5B on that stadium could be a financial train-wreck.

14 hours ago, LFC24 said:

the state of Oregon should really think about acquiring an NFL team. Portland is a huge city and can financially back it up. 

Speaking of "huge" cities, San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the country...granted some cities below it have larger have a larger metroplex, but it's still a huge market that could easily support a team. Cities like Houston & Dallas can EASILY support their own teams without cannibalizing San Antonio's market, as Texas is the 2nd most populous state in the entire country. It's not like they're short of people down here, and Dallas is already a national team anyway. And Houston is a massive city too, so no worries there. It's an over 3 hour drive, and has it's own territory carved out. 

It's the same distance from Houston to San Antonio as it is Buffalo to Cleveland, and those two teams coexist fine, with much smaller cities representing them. I don't understand the view that San Antonio just wouldn't work...It easily would, it's just the politics in the state (and Jerry Jones) that try to nix that idea.

1. New York

2. Los Angeles 

3. Chicago

4. Houston

5. Philadelphia

6. Phoenix

7. ***SAN ANTONIO***

8. San Diego

9. Dallas

10. San Jose

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

Before the Chargers moved, San Diego residents voted down a Hotel Tax which would have went up like three percentage points and would have paid for the city's contribution to the stadium and then some.  The only tax San Diego residents would have paid is if they stayed in a hotel themselves. 

Approximately 15 plus years ago, the Chargers offered to pay for the entire new stadium themselves if the city would grant them the land Qualcomm sits on.  The city council voted that down.

Sad situation.

Baseball team got what they wanted. Nice downtown site.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Wow you're from Utica and moved to SD? Wife and I did that too, although we are now in LA. 

I lived down the road from the stadium in SD, by far the worst in the league...

^that stadium is a cess pool.

14 hours ago, iinii said:

I have an interest in the Bills doing well but am very much against fracking and that puts Pegs in the no fly zone, so I am at some sort of Mexican standoff metaphorically speaking. Cheers 4

I hear ya.

For me, the Bills mean family, friends and community getting together to have a good time.

I just feel we’re past the point, as a society in general, of taxpayers bowing down to these sports entities that will never give it back financially to the community. Yes, pro sports are certainly a psychological boost to their respective communities, but they rarely provide economic benefit, if at all.  

If it weren’t for the Bills, I likely wouldn’t watch NFL at all.  I used to be a sports nut, especially NHL. But that product is so watered down, the regular season is unwatchable. The NFL, imo, is definitely trending that way with all the rule changes, and “sway” through inconsistent officiating.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s interesting to watch the sport evolve. Could it be that teams do better, attendance wise in smaller market Cities, where there’s more of a home town feel and fan allegiance? Contrast that with the tug of the television and merchandise dollars generated by the bigger population centers. For example, living in LA you wouldn’t believe the sheer number of Dodger hats and shirts. They’re everywhere! Big merchandise money! I’m guessing way way bigger than the gate revenues.

19 hours ago, kota said:

I live in LA.  It's the melting pot of the US.  YOu cannot move a team here and have it be successful.  The only way a team would be successful is if there was an expansion club where all LA residents could call their team.

I am a Bills fan but if there was a real LA team i would be inclined to watch and root for them if the Bills weren't playing.

Don't the Rams count? They were in L.A. for years. In fact I didn't learn they were from Cleveland originally until I was an adult.

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Speaking of "huge" cities, San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the country...granted some cities below it have larger have a larger metroplex, but it's still a huge market that could easily support a team. Cities like Houston & Dallas can EASILY support their own teams without cannibalizing San Antonio's market, as Texas is the 2nd most populous state in the entire country. It's not like they're short of people down here, and Dallas is already a national team anyway. And Houston is a massive city too, so no worries there. It's an over 3 hour drive, and has it's own territory carved out. 

It's the same distance from Houston to San Antonio as it is Buffalo to Cleveland, and those two teams coexist fine, with much smaller cities representing them. I don't understand the view that San Antonio just wouldn't work...It easily would, it's just the politics in the state (and Jerry Jones) that try to nix that idea.

1. New York

2. Los Angeles 

3. Chicago

4. Houston

5. Philadelphia

6. Phoenix

7. ***SAN ANTONIO***

8. San Diego

9. Dallas

10. San Jose

And they have an NFL-sized stadium sitting empty. Grant you it's not a Taj Mahal but totally functional.

• Like (+1) 1