NFL worried about Chargers viability in LA

Reed83HOF

I mean who would have thunk it?

Seth WickershamVerified account @SethWickersham
FollowFollow @SethWickersham
More

A major discussion topic among NFL owners/executives at this week’s league meetings is the Chargers’ viability in LA. PSL sales have been a struggle and team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number: $400m to around $150m, per sources

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I mean who would have thunk it?

Right? Insert obligatory south park ski instructor meme here.

So tired of LA and NYC having multiple teams - NYC at least has historically had both teams long enough to create a base for each. LA couldn't care less about football, and while the Rams are being the Rams, why have the Chargers? Was never a good move.

Maybe Bon Jovi can finally have his Toronto NFL team...

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Move them back to San Diego and have private investors build a stadium or completely gut and renovate Qualcomm.  Why is this so hard to figure out?

Renovate Qualcomm? I'm guessing you haven't been to the stadium

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Wow you're from Utica and moved to SD? Wife and I did that too, although we are now in LA. 

I lived down the road from the stadium in SD, by far the worst in the league...

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, uticaclub said:

I haven't, but some of the NFL's renovation jobs (Soldier Field and Joe Robbie/Hard Rock for instance), are essentially new stadiums.  I could see them doing that if it were a cheaper alternative to a new stadium.

Chargers should move to Irvine, as should the Angels. They should just claim Orange County. The OC Angels and the OC Chargers. People would go, because the stadiums in Irvine would actually be nice, and the surrounding area would as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

I attended a game at the LA Coliseum in 1984 watching the Rams play the Falcons; Eric Dickerson in his prime yet the fans in attendance acted bored with many empty seats. Too much competition for the entertainment dollar, the Chargers should have stayed in San Diego, they had a strong and loyal fan base with lots of discretionary income.

• Like (+1) 2

Before the Chargers moved, San Diego residents voted down a Hotel Tax which would have went up like three percentage points and would have paid for the city's contribution to the stadium and then some.  The only tax San Diego residents would have paid is if they stayed in a hotel themselves. 

Approximately 15 plus years ago, the Chargers offered to pay for the entire new stadium themselves if the city would grant them the land Qualcomm sits on.  The city council voted that down.

Sad situation.

Edited by Wyo_Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Chargers should be allowed to return to San Diego, but only after Spanos is trussed up like a lamb being prepared to be slaughtered into souvlaki, and being carried in a forced march from LA to SD.

...Daddy built the empire and the kid is tearing it down................

14 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I haven't, but some of the NFL's renovation jobs (Soldier Field and Joe Robbie/Hard Rock for instance), are essentially new stadiums.  I could see them doing that if it were a cheaper alternative to a new stadium.

Qualcomm is too far gone. There hasn’t been a coat on the paint on the place since the 90s, let alone any structural improvements. It’s an OSHA hazard at this point

• Like (+1) 1