NFL worried about Chargers viability in LA

Reed83HOF

14 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Ive heard the opposite about vegas. Is it just becoming a tourist attraction rather than getting locals this year?

They had about 8 real fans and the rest were riding a bandwagon.

I'm doing a bit of projection, but I don't believe these people are going to be die hards for the long run. I think it will still be an event to go to games because the arena is awesome and they put on a great show, but the number of people who had been fans of an expansion team "for 20 years" was through the roof!

If there's one thing I hate in sports, it's bandwagon fans. We'll see what they're like when the team is not very good.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

They had about 8 real fans and the rest were riding a bandwagon.

I'm doing a bit of projection, but I don't believe these people are going to be die hards for the long run. I think it will still be an event to go to games because the arena is awesome and they put on a great show, but the number of people who had been fans of an expansion team "for 20 years" was through the roof!

If there's one thing I hate in sports, it's bandwagon fans. We'll see what they're like when the team is not very good.

?? It is too early to call the Knights fans, bandwagon fans, a fan of a new expansion team/season tix holders etc etc, that went to many games the very first year and sold out the arena are more likely to be a die hard fan as the team had no expectation of winning.

Based on everything I can find the Knights fan interest has gone up this year even to the point they revoked some season tix when fans sold or gave to family/friends as few as 10 of their 40+ season games and team classified them as ticket broker activity. So they do not show bandwagon characteristics.

Did they drop off now?

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

?? It is too early to call the Knights fans, bandwagon fans, a fan of a new expansion team/season tix holders etc etc, that went to many games the very first year and sold out the arena are more likely to be a die hard fan as the team had no expectation of winning.

Based on everything I can find the Knights fan interest has gone up this year even to the point they revoked some season tix when fans sold or gave to family/friends as few as 10 of their 40+ season games and team classified them as ticket broker activity. So they do not show bandwagon characteristics.

Did they drop off now?

It was rockin' in the first home game of the year against the Sabres on Tuesday.

51 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

LaLa Land has too much else going on to warrant support of two football teams.

It also has about 12 million people, about 10 of which aren't doing any of those "too much else going on" things on Sunday afternoons at 1 pm.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Did they drop off now?

Ticket sales are fine for now as far as I know. My brother is the beat writer for the team so I get most of my info from him. I think they will continue to draw because of the experience and venue size in relation to say, the NFL. My take has very little to do with the economic viability of the team. The Raiders may be a different story when you need to draw 60k.

We've had minor league teams here (AFL, IHL) which started out great and fell off rapidly. The minor league baseball team doesn't draw at all, but the stadium is a hellhole.

The problem I have with Vegas and LA fans is that they're fair weather. They would never ride passionately for a struggling team like real fans in places like Buffalo.

I HATE bandwagon fans and I HATED that the Knights had instant success and these people who've never suffered through losing seasons had such a wonderful run. Thankfully, they fell short in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

I lived in LA and they don't really care about the NFL. It's nothing like Buffalo. They should never have left San Diego, but the fans have no say in it. St. Louis would also be a better option.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:23 AM, uticaclub said:

Qualcomm is too far gone. There hasn’t been a coat on the paint on the place since the 90s, let alone any structural improvements. It’s an OSHA hazard at this point

OSHA? I doubt it. They only use these uberexpensive stadiums once a week during football season. I think the "need" for new stadiums is exaggerated. I'd imagine ours is still structurally sound.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ticket sales are fine for now as far as I know. My brother is the beat writer for the team so I get most of my info from him. I think they will continue to draw because of the experience and venue size in relation to say, the NFL. My take has very little to do with the economic viability of the team. The Raiders may be a different story when you need to draw 60k.

We've had minor league teams here (AFL, IHL) which started out great and fell off rapidly. The minor league baseball team doesn't draw at all, but the stadium is a hellhole.

The problem I have with Vegas and LA fans is that they're fair weather. They would never ride passionately for a struggling team like real fans in places like Buffalo.

I HATE bandwagon fans and I HATED that the Knights had instant success and these people who've never suffered through losing seasons had such a wonderful run. Thankfully, they fell short in the end.

The AFL was not a minor league. They won 2 of the first 4 SB's.

33 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I lived in LA and they don't really care about the NFL. It's nothing like Buffalo. They should never have left San Diego, but the fans have no say in it. St. Louis would also be a better option.

OSHA? I doubt it. They only use these uberexpensive stadiums once a week during football season. I think the "need" for new stadiums is exaggerated. I'd imagine ours is still structurally sound.

The AFL was not a minor league. They won 2 of the first 4 SB's.

Arena football pro. I think the entire state of Nevada had less than 150k people in the 60's. Vegas definitely wouldn't have been a viable American Football League city.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:02 AM, sullim4 said:

Move them back to San Diego and have private investors build a stadium or completely gut and renovate Qualcomm.  Why is this so hard to figure out?

It's not that hard and that's exactly what they should do. None of the charger fans in San Diego had any intention of following their team up to LA. And the Chargers can't even sell out at 20,000 capacity soccer stadium.  They'll end up back in SD sooner or later.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

Before the Chargers moved, San Diego residents voted down a Hotel Tax which would have went up like three percentage points and would have paid for the city's contribution to the stadium and then some.  The only tax San Diego residents would have paid is if they stayed in a hotel themselves. 

Approximately 15 plus years ago, the Chargers offered to pay for the entire new stadium themselves if the city would grant them the land Qualcomm sits on.  The city council voted that down.

Sad situation.

I just can't feel bad for the poor billionaire owners when tax payers won't give them free land and/or free money for facilities improvements. Sorry. I'm not opposed to this happening but I think it should be evaluated on a case by case basis and there should be no expectation that it will happen on the part of the owners or league.

Edited by vincec

They could just go the rest of the way and put a team in London. It’s going to happen eventually. Just get it out of the way. I’m also surprised St. Louis never tries to get back in. When San Diego was messing around with the stadium stuff, I wondered why St. Louis didn’t jump in and offer them a shot. Steal a team back after the Rams left them. It’s a big enough area. You would think they would want a team back. The Chargers should do an auction style bid to whichever city wants an NFL team and would be willing to get them a stadium and just go there. I’m sure there are markets that feel left out and would support a team better then the fair weather LA fans. San Antonio always comes up. I’m sure the Chargers have options.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They could just go the rest of the way and put a team in London. It’s going to happen eventually. Just get it out of the way. I’m also surprised St. Louis never tries to get back in. When San Diego was messing around with the stadium stuff, I wondered why St. Louis didn’t jump in and offer them a shot. Steal a team back after the Rams left them. It’s a big enough area. You would think they would want a team back. The Chargers should do an auction style bid to whichever city wants an NFL team and would be willing to get them a stadium and just go there. I’m sure there are markets that feel left out and would support a team better then the fair weather LA fans. San Antonio always comes up. I’m sure the Chargers have options.

Putting that homeless team in London is not a bad idea. The owner would obviously have to be all in favor of course.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Putting that homeless team in London is not a bad idea. The owner would obviously have to be all in favor of course.

I guess the Jaguars are probably going to end up there at some point. Maybe they can work something out where a team stays in Jacksonville and the Jags go to London or something of that sort. Send the Chargers there to ease the blow

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, Reed83HOF said:

Wow you're from Utica and moved to SD? Wife and I did that too, although we are now in LA. 

I lived down the road from the stadium in SD, by far the worst in the league...

There's nothing wrong with the Land... Dean didn't like the plan for Mission Valley/Qualcomm because he's a greedy idiot... Chargers belong in SD.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Chargers signed a 20 year lease for a stadium that’s not even built yet so they’re kinda stuck in LA. 

They could ask the Raiders if they want to buy the lease from them, that was their first relocation  choice before announcing the move to Vegas.......