Could Pulling the Trigger to Soon Have Changed the Path of the Future ?

T master

With in a football game they say it only takes one or 2 plays to cause the game to be won or lost as we saw last week, when the back up QB was called on & after throwing a TD to win the game threw a pass to also lose the game.

I believe that the same can be said about coaching decisions with in a season can cause a totally different out come by just a couple of moves. McD made one IMHO this year that may have made this season & the maturation process of Allen be in a totally different place than it is right now . Not to mention Allen's injury .

At the beginning of the season they brought in what this fan thought was the guy to possibly be the starter at QB this year while Allen & quite possibly Petermen sat & learned that guy being McCaron, but seeing as Petermen did all the right things to win the starting job they bailed on the original plan or "Process" as it's called  ! 

As it stands now we all know where the Bills QB situation is but by one decision it could be totally different & i hope McD & Bean are the kind that learn from their mistakes ! I know a lot of you will think & rightfully so this is a could of, should of, would of, post & it is i think it is relevant to where the team is now not to mention the maturation of our coach & GM .

I know a lot of people here didn't like the AJ move because of his lack of "on field playing time" but given what's transpired to this point it would have been good to keep him around longer than they did or at the very least to see what Petermen could or could not do which could have put the Bills in a totally different place to this point .

If some common sense & patience was used prior to Petermen imploding the first time AJ would have been put in as the #2, Allen would still be 3rd on the list learning as they supposedly wanted him to be to learn . Then if AJ would have gotten dinged in any way like the last game Petermen would have been put in only to implode again but Allen would have had 6 more games to learn from .

Following what i thought at the beginning of the year was a plan laid out (or at least what looked like the plan in this fans eyes) to have a veteran with a little bit more experience than the other QB's on the roster to at least to be there incase something like what has happened, happens could be there to steady the ship but instead here they are !

To throw it all to the way side only to find them selves where they are in a situation to have to go out & now bring in a QB that's older, less athletic, that hasn't played in more than a few years & that doesn't know the play book makes no sense what so ever !! Which with this one decision at the beginning of the season could have changed the out come of not only a season but for our QB of the futures career in some ways .

I like to this point a lot of things McBean has done & think they will get to where they are headed with this team but i hope this one move doesn't define their time here or Allen's future I also hope the Anderson decision will be a good one !! 

Buffalo has had a couple decent QB's here over the years which "could have" had different out comes possibly if certain decisions were made differently & i hope this one isn't another one that has put the Bills QB future in jeopardy once again by possibly pulling the trigger to quickly !

Bash away Bills fans !! 

10 minutes ago, T master said:

With in a football game they say it only takes one or 2 plays to cause the game to be won or lost as we saw last week, when the back up QB was called on & after throwing a TD to win the game threw a pass to also lose the game.

when a friend would get a 48 on a math test and moan he failed by 2% some teachers would say he failed by 52%

It's too late for McBeane to learn from their mistakes.  They're in with both feet now on Allen.  

The bigger question, or questions, are A, if they whiffed so badly in assessing Peterman, who IMO was never anything other than a 5th-round QB, at best, why should anyone think that their assessment of Allen was any better?  Granted, Allen's the better QB, but who knows by how much, and frankly, that's not the question.  

The question is whether Allen was worth turning 6 day 1/2 picks into three with one being Allen at essentially the cost of four of those picks, or whether he wasn't.  Given the riskiness with the pick, enter B, has McBeane's approach to rebuilding the team been a good one?  

I have no idea how anyone can support the notion that they're rebuilding strategy has been anything other than abjectly horrid.  10 picks next year aren't going to help them much since they're all, other than one-per-round, on day 3.  Those aren't the kind of spots where starters are frequently found, they're spots where role-players and depth players are drafted.  You can package 'em all up but you're still not getting enough to rebuild the team by any significant measure.  That opportunity was this past Draft.  

McCoy's days are over and they have no one to backfill on a team that has relied on rushing.  We all know the rest, they essentially need an entire cadre of WRs, particularly after whiffing on Jones last year while letting Smith-Shuster pass, they'll need a better TE, and almost an entire OL.  That's an impossible scenario for any GM, Polian had more to work with back then and it took him several seasons.  

They're going to sink (likely) or swim on Allen now.  But more importantly, doesn't one have to question the methodology of selling the farm to draft a risky QB that has the same exact traits of past major busts (Locker, Russell, Leaf, et al), while putting that same QB on an island as if, even if he were good, he'd succeed without the protection and passing options?  Then factor in this ridiculous and unhealthy reliance on the GM's and coach's old team's players, players that are average on a good day.  

Well, that's this "process" that we keep hearing about ad nauseum to the extent that the phrase has become all but anathema to Bills fans and soon will be entirely anathema with absolutely no one wanting to hear it anymore.  

Either way, McBeane has this team going in reverse, and honestly, who thought that that was even possible when they got here.  

But make no mistake, a crescendo of terminal criticism is going to hit them sometime during or immediately after next season if they don't start producing noticeable positive results, and I wouldn't bet much that they're even in a position to make that happen, and right now, unless Allen steps up his passing play they have no chance.  It shouldn't have been difficult for a QB to at least match Taylor's passing numbers, even with sub-par receivers and a sketchy OL, but as of now Allen's simply an expensive "poor man's Taylor."  He doesn't run any better than Taylor, comparably, and his passing isn't even what Taylor's was, astoundingly.  Again, not sure "where to from here," it's not a mess that I would have made for myself so don't ask me for solutions to a seemingly unsolvable problem, but it doesn't bode well for the future, any aspect of it.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’d go back further and say they should have kept TT. He was a known quantity and his contract was not unreasonable. Why get rid of your QB before you are certain you have someone that it better. I was never a big TT fan but c’mon man. He was halfway decent and at least a very good backup.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, T master said:

I believe that the same can be said about coaching decisions with in a season can cause a totally different out come by just a couple of moves. McD made one IMHO this year that may have made this season & the maturation process of Allen be in a totally different place than it is right now . Not to mention Allen's injury .

At the beginning of the season they brought in what this fan thought was the guy to possibly be the starter at QB this year while Allen & quite possibly Petermen sat & learned that guy being McCaron, but seeing as Petermen did all the right things to win the starting job they bailed on the original plan or "Process" as it's called  ! 

As it stands now we all know where the Bills QB situation is but by one decision it could be totally different & i hope McD & Bean are the kind that learn from their mistakes ! I know a lot of you will think & rightfully so this is a could of, should of, would of, post & it is i think it is relevant to where the team is now not to mention the maturation of our coach & GM .

I know a lot of people here didn't like the AJ move because of his lack of "on field playing time" but given what's transpired to this point it would have been good to keep him around longer than they did or at the very least to see what Petermen could or could not do which could have put the Bills in a totally different place to this point .

If some common sense & patience was used prior to Petermen imploding the first time AJ would have been put in as the #2, Allen would still be 3rd on the list learning as they supposedly wanted him to be to learn . Then if AJ would have gotten dinged in any way like the last game Petermen would have been put in only to implode again but Allen would have had 6 more games to learn from .

Following what i thought at the beginning of the year was a plan laid out (or at least what looked like the plan in this fans eyes) to have a veteran with a little bit more experience than the other QB's on the roster to at least to be there incase something like what has happened, happens could be there to steady the ship but instead here they are !

To throw it all to the way side only to find them selves where they are in a situation to have to go out & now bring in a QB that's older, less athletic, that hasn't played in more than a few years & that doesn't know the play book makes no sense what so ever !! Which with this one decision at the beginning of the season could have changed the out come of not only a season but for our QB of the futures career in some ways .

I like to this point a lot of things McBean has done & think they will get to where they are headed with this team but i hope this one move doesn't define their time here or Allen's future I also hope the Anderson decision will be a good one !! 

Buffalo has had a couple decent QB's here over the years which "could have" had different out comes possibly if certain decisions were made differently & i hope this one isn't another one that has put the Bills QB future in jeopardy once again by possibly pulling the trigger to quickly !

Bash away Bills fans !! 

Bit too soon though you have some points. In all honesty the QB situation could've been handled better once they knew AJM wasn't the guy they thought he was. But the injury gave them an excuse to do what they've been too scared to do since the season started, yet had planned to do all along: let him sit and develop. While I agree he was our best and likely only option with Peterman playing the way he did, they could have sat him at any time. If this was a kid drafted with known development needs, and they were clear that he would sit out the first season so the Bills coaches and FO could figure out what was needed to help him succeed and be the QB we need, then they could have done that at any point and just owned it.

I was watching the pressers earlier this week and how we handled the QB questions and everything just seems so defensive. Any realistic fan could tell the playoffs were a bit of a pipe dream this year, and they were clear they were still building a team for the future. So commit to it, own it, bench your future QB when you need to and start him whenever you want to if it's all for his development and progress and the future. If he is the project kid with the mental toughness he's reported to have, why does his development have to be all or nothing? 

It generates a media circus blowing this out of proportion. Our offense is not performing well regardless of the QB, so whatever decision you make just own it and go with it.

Edited by ctk232

36 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

It's too late for McBeane to learn from their mistakes.  They're in with both feet now on Allen.  

The bigger question, or questions, are A, if they whiffed so badly in assessing Peterman, who IMO was never anything other than a 5th-round QB, at best, why should anyone think that their assessment of Allen was any better?  Granted, Allen's the better QB, but who knows by how much, and frankly, that's not the question.  

The question is whether Allen was worth turning 6 day 1/2 picks into three with one being Allen at essentially the cost of four of those picks, or whether he wasn't.  Given the riskiness with the pick, enter B, has McBeane's approach to rebuilding the team been a good one?  

I have no idea how anyone can support the notion that they're rebuilding strategy has been anything other than abjectly horrid.  10 picks next year aren't going to help them much since they're all, other than one-per-round, on day 3.  Those aren't the kind of spots where starters are frequently found, they're spots where role-players and depth players are drafted.  You can package 'em all up but you're still not getting enough to rebuild the team by any significant measure.  That opportunity was this past Draft.  

McCoy's days are over and they have no one to backfill on a team that has relied on rushing.  We all know the rest, they essentially need an entire cadre of WRs, particularly after whiffing on Jones last year while letting Smith-Shuster pass, they'll need a better TE, and almost an entire OL.  That's an impossible scenario for any GM, Polian had more to work with back then and it took him several seasons.  

They're going to sink (likely) or swim on Allen now.  But more importantly, doesn't one have to question the methodology of selling the farm to draft a risky QB that has the same exact traits of past major busts (Locker, Russell, Leaf, et al), while putting that same QB on an island as if, even if he were good, he'd succeed without the protection and passing options?  Then factor in this ridiculous and unhealthy reliance on the GM's and coach's old team's players, players that are average on a good day.  

Well, that's this "process" that we keep hearing about ad nauseum to the extent that the phrase has become all but anathema to Bills fans and soon will be entirely anathema with absolutely no one wanting to hear it anymore.  

Either way, McBeane has this team going in reverse, and honestly, who thought that that was even possible when they got here.  

But make no mistake, a crescendo of terminal criticism is going to hit them sometime during or immediately after next season if they don't start producing noticeable positive results, and I wouldn't bet much that they're even in a position to make that happen, and right now, unless Allen steps up his passing play they have no chance.  It shouldn't have been difficult for a QB to at least match Taylor's passing numbers, even with sub-par receivers and a sketchy OL, but as of now Allen's simply an expensive "poor man's Taylor."  He doesn't run any better than Taylor, comparably, and his passing isn't even what Taylor's was, astoundingly.  Again, not sure "where to from here," it's not a mess that I would have made for myself so don't ask me for solutions to a seemingly unsolvable problem, but it doesn't bode well for the future, any aspect of it.  

I am in the same boat as far as displeasure with Beane and his insecure tear down.   It's not a rebuild, it is a tear down IMO.  Adding two players with first round picks does not signal a rebuild.  The cap is in the worst position it has ever been for the Bills.   And before you say that he had to cut the previous contracts you may want to research it - 50%+ of the dead cap are contracts from Beane's own doing.  The real problem with Beane is he hasn't even learned the hardest lesson of being the Buffalo Bills GM.  It is difficult to lure free agents to Buffalo as a destination and on top of that New England runs our division.  Posters are going to say they go where the money is but then why are we the only team in the league where guys don't even show up when claimed and/or quit at halftime.  Most of us were born in Buffalo and love it, but 22 yr old soon to be millionaires who only see it on TV when there is a snowstorm have different opinions.  Unless Carolina's entire offense has their contracts expiring I don't see how Beane can rebuild this offense next year no matter how much cap space.   Especially with a stronger defensive as opposed to offensive free agent pool and draft class.  

I do think you went too far in writing off Zay Jones and Shady already though.            

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I am in the same boat as far as displeasure with Beane and his insecure tear down.   It's not a rebuild, it is a tear down IMO.  Adding two players with first round picks does not signal a rebuild.  The cap is in the worst position it has ever been for the Bills.   And before you say that he had to cut the previous contracts you may want to research it - 50%+ of the dead cap are contracts from Beane's own doing.  The real problem with Beane is he hasn't even learned the hardest lesson of being the Buffalo Bills GM.  It is difficult to lure free agents to Buffalo as a destination and on top of that New England runs our division.  Posters are going to say they go where the money is but then why are we the only team in the league where guys don't even show up when claimed and/or quit at halftime.  Most of us were born in Buffalo and love it, but 22 yr old soon to be millionaires who only see it on TV when there is a snowstorm have different opinions.  Unless Carolina's entire offense has their contracts expiring I don't see how Beane can rebuild this offense next year no matter how much cap space.   Especially with a stronger defensive as opposed to offensive free agent pool and draft class.  

I'm sorry, this is a terrible take. Like truly awful. There was no insecurity in the "tear down." It was done purposefully, and with a concept in mind. Get rid of over-paid average, take the hit this year, spend next.

That's ALL part of a rebuild.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

Wow ! I'm going to do 2 for 1 to buffalostu2 it's never to late to learn from our mistakes you can always learn its the seeing & admitting the mistake that is the hard part but we can always learn from our past !!

I don't see how you can not say that the team is in a better place as far as contracts go, sure this year is tight but that is not at the doing of Bean he isn't the one that had written up or agree'd to the contracts that are now paying off dead money on the cap he is the one that is rectifying the situation left by the previous man in charge .

As far as it taking 4 picks to get Allen i'm not seeing where or how that came into play sure Bean & company had to trade a couple picks a 1st & a later round pick to get Allen but that was better than trading 2 consecutive 1st round picks for a WR especially with who was still on the board at the time !! Mack being selected the pick after the Bills in that draft .

I'm with joesixpack this post & the one prior aren't anywhere even close to making sense IMHO !! 

Just to add to it the D is now in the #3 spot in the NFL if this rebuild isn't working then where does that stat fit in along with the players they have gotten the past 2 seasons (White, Phillups, Edmunds,Johnson,Milano,Neal,)  to boast the defensive play for years to come just saying !! 

If they focus on offense in next years draft to add to what they picked up this year & last (Dawkins,Jones,Allen,Teller) along with the cash they will have freed up by getting rid of the bad contracts they should be in much better shape !!

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

McCarron, in mini camp, camp, practice & preseason played himself off the team.  There were also rumors that he refused to mentor Allen.

Bad in practice, bad on the field, bad in the locker room=off the team.  

Then he needed to be replaced with a different veteran who could offer what we thought McCarron was capable of.

The whole idea of having a veteran was to offer some stability, particularly keeping in mind that Nate had previously not been able to finish a game he started, he was so bad, and everyone on the planet has suggested, from Day 1, that Allen is raw, a project, and totally not ready to play in the NFL; the least "ready" QB off his draft class among the named guys.

So what did we do?  Acquire a 5th round pick, throw AJ off the team, prayed to Jesus, and went forward with Nate "The Human Turnover Machine" Peterman and Josh "I have no idea what I'm doing" Allen.

With the way this staff handled the QB position last year, and given that our HC is a glorified gym teacher who specializes in defense, who could ever have seen this fiasco coming?

:rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Then he needed to be replaced with a different veteran who could offer what we thought McCarron was capable of.

The whole idea of having a veteran was to offer some stability, particularly keeping in mind that Nate had previously not been able to finish a game he started, he was so bad, and everyone on the planet has suggested, from Day 1, that Allen is raw, a project, and totally not ready to play in the NFL; the least "ready" QB off his draft class among the named guys.

So what did we do?  Acquire a 5th round pick, throw AJ off the team, prayed to Jesus, and went forward with Nate "The Human Turnover Machine" Peterman and Josh "I have no idea what I'm doing" Allen.

With the way this staff handled the QB position last year, and given that our HC is a glorified gym teacher who specializes in defense, who could ever have seen this fiasco coming?

:rolleyes:

It was a little late by September to just dial up another veteran in time to start the season.  The Bills were looking for a bridge QB who wasn't going to cost the $10-20 million that Bradford & McCown cost.  When McCarron bombed, the Bills were pretty much stuck.  Take a look around the NFL, most teams are in bad shape if their starter goes down with an injury.  Here is all the QB depth charts in one place:  https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

23 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I'm sorry, this is a terrible take. Like truly awful. There was no insecurity in the "tear down." It was done purposefully, and with a concept in mind. Get rid of over-paid average, take the hit this year, spend next.

That's ALL part of a rebuild.

That is all well and good if you are an expansion team.  However in the NFL you inherit players when you get a job and that means coaching difficult personalities not just "your guys".  Recklessly moving every player from the previous GM and bringing in subpar talent from your old team is insecurity IMO.  Our baby GM has been begging for credit since he was serving coffee in Carolina and especially after he was intern GM and didn't get the job.  The NFL does not have the patience for Beane's approach.  This guy would be getting roasted if he did not have a fantastic coach bailing him out.  McD wins in spite of Beane.

We are Bills fans, how the hell could yo know what a  proper rebuild looks like?  Is this what the Rams did?  Aren't they the model?  

21 hours ago, T master said:

Wow ! I'm going to do 2 for 1 to buffalostu2 it's never to late to learn from our mistakes you can always learn its the seeing & admitting the mistake that is the hard part but we can always learn from our past !!

I don't see how you can not say that the team is in a better place as far as contracts go, sure this year is tight but that is not at the doing of Bean he isn't the one that had written up or agree'd to the contracts that are now paying off dead money on the cap he is the one that is rectifying the situation left by the previous man in charge .

As far as it taking 4 picks to get Allen i'm not seeing where or how that came into play sure Bean & company had to trade a couple picks a 1st & a later round pick to get Allen but that was better than trading 2 consecutive 1st round picks for a WR especially with who was still on the board at the time !! Mack being selected the pick after the Bills in that draft .

I'm with joesixpack this post & the one prior aren't anywhere even close to making sense IMHO !! 

Just to add to it the D is now in the #3 spot in the NFL if this rebuild isn't working then where does that stat fit in along with the players they have gotten the past 2 seasons (White, Phillups, Edmunds,Johnson,Milano,Neal,)  to boast the defensive play for years to come just saying !! 

If they focus on offense in next years draft to add to what they picked up this year & last (Dawkins,Jones,Allen,Teller) along with the cash they will have freed up by getting rid of the bad contracts they should be in much better shape !!

I don't violently disagree with your points.  I don't mind the draft day trades to get a QB or Edmunds.   The cap situation however is Beane's mess more than Whaley's.  Go to Sportrac and look up the dead cap.  50% of those are contracts Beane and 50% are Whaley.  In just two years.  He is not just cleaning it up.  Do the research and you will see. 

I love what we have done on D.  But that D ranking is only for yards.  The #3 D in the league doesn't get blown out two games in a row do they?  Granted they are playing better and headed in the right direction.   I go with scoring which I have been criticized for only using one stat.        

On 10/17/2018 at 8:15 AM, TaskersGhost said:

This was a well thought out post

I dont agree with all of it.....I think that it is way to soon to think that Allen is going to fail.   I will say this.....if Beane and McD are smart they will use a lot of resources to improve the offense around him going into next year AND they need to make sure that they have a viable backup QB in place whether that be Anderson or not.....

It is amazing how good a QB can look when he has playmakers around him......all QBs make mistakes with the ball....all of them....but a lot of that is covered up by

Strong running games

Receivers that have the ability to break tackles/make ppl miss

Receivers that fight for balls.....dont pop them into the air....dont alligator arm them or body catch them

etc etc etc

I'm not putting blame on anyone but our QB situation has turned into a disaster.  You can says its because of this or that but the truth remains the same.

Who would have thought going into this week our QBs would be Derek Anderson and Nathan Peterman?

The QB situation seems from the outside to have been horribly mismanaged.   It's almost laughable.

Allen is now injured...this staff has repeated started Peterman and everytime it's been a league wide joke how bad he is..now we bring in DA off the street.  Iys almost reminiscent of EJ and Orton.  Young raw QB...veteran brought in immediately improves offense...where does that leave Allen?  Does he go back in when healthy?  Does he only go in if we are out of the hunt?  If he does go in and doesnt out play DA do people then say..we traded up and took a QB 7th overall and he cant out perform a journeyman back up?

I dont know.  I try not to be overly critical of this coaching staff but this whole QB situation has turned into a big mess imo.  You trade all those assets to move up and get a QB and this is the situation now.  

1 minute ago, Skins Malone said:

I'm not putting blame on anyone but our QB situation has turned into a disaster.  You can says its because of this or that but the truth remains the same.

Who would have thought going into this week our QBs would be Derek Anderson and Nathan Peterman?

The QB situation seems from the outside to have been horribly mismanaged.   It's almost laughable.

Allen is now injured...this staff has repeated started Peterman and everytime it's been a league wide joke how bad he is..now we bring in DA off the street.  Iys almost reminiscent of EJ and Orton.  Young raw QB...veteran brought in immediately improves offense...where does that leave Allen?  Does he go back in when healthy?  Does he only go in if we are out of the hunt?  If he does go in and doesnt out play DA do people then say..we traded up and took a QB 7th overall and he cant out perform a journeyman back up?

I dont know.  I try not to be overly critical of this coaching staff but this whole QB situation has turned into a big mess imo.  You trade all those assets to move up and get a QB and this is the situation now.  

At the end of the day the thing that looks like a glaring mistake is the trust in Nathan Peterman......

Your backup QB should be the most popular guy on the team....the relief guy that defenses do not game plan for who comes in and looks great for a couple of games.....then teams get film and start shutting him down....that is why your starter is the better player.

The thing that is frustrating about Nathan is he can make throws that make you go "Ok....this kid could be a good backup here" then BAM he makes that throw he should NEVER attempt for the pick....and he literally cannot stay away from it.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, T master said:

Bash away Bills fans !! 

Not bashing but A.J. McCaron was beat out by Nate Peterman fair and square, the guy looked lost behind center imo and would have been yet another bad QB taking heat this week if he were still here and again just my opinions.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Not bashing but A.J. McCaron was beat out by Nate Peterman fair and square, the guy looked lost behind center imo and would have been yet another bad QB taking heat this week if he were still here and again just my opinions.

And that's why the pre season is the per season.  How does Peterman look now?