Canada celebrates legalization day

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

condo and rental apartments structures have the right to forbid smoking ANYTHING on their properties, including your own dwelling

so as of today my building has forbidden the smoking of tobacco, pot, anything at all

the only argument by the government is that it will:

- get rid of the mafia (yeah right)

- lower the deficit by taxation (just like lotteries)

- keep kids away from bad elements (they have to be shitting us, right?)

no thought at all has been put into this, it will be completely reversed shortly

What is wrong with this?  The owner has the right to dictate what goes on his/her property.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah.  I guess some air is mind altering.  ?

Also: I hope You are breathing when You are sleeping. ?

I am not anti-weed.  I am just anti-idiot doing weed.  Which is probably like 98% of the people.

I am also anti-malaise, which will surely set in.  

Most of the other adults I socialize with who use marijuana are very successful, intelligent people.  Then again, I knew a lot of idiot stoners growing up who ended up being idiot stoners as adults.  

I guess if you’re going to be an idiot...you’re going to be an idiot.  Legal pot or no legal pot.  In this case I would say that correlation is not causation.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Most of the other adults I socialize with who use marijuana are very successful, intelligent people.  Then again, I knew a lot of idiot stoners growing up who ended up being idiot stoners as adults.  

I guess if you’re going to be an idiot...you’re going to be an idiot.  Legal pot or no legal pot.  In this case I would say that correlation is not causation.

There are all kinds of stimulants, some worse than others. But pot is where the line gets drawn. Why can't adults make their own personal choices? 

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It's not so much how some use it... It's the message that it sends to the young ones.

That You need chemicals to relax?  Not passing judgement, but you can see why parenting, education has gone downhill into the wasteland that exists.  The soul crushing world and the chemically induced state... Adds to the malaise.  Maybe You aren't at ground zero, maybe You were, maybe You escaped... But it's a factor, especially in places that have poor working class.

Trying not to be a buzzkill. I don't agree with prohibition either... But what the world, and especially children need is structure.  High or drunk parents, etc... "Blowing off steam" from the soul crushing world is simply NOT the cop out message the Young ones need to see.  The "little tape recorders" are always in record.

I understand the need to relax, I am not a stick in the mud... Yet, the dangers are very real and the results are showing.  At least from what I see.

Give it time.  I cringe at being this conservative... But that's the structure Youth should see.

Sorry for going deep.  Does Canada even begin to have 1/50 of the inner city problems we do in The US?

What usually fuels this?  Dependency, which then causes employment issues or employment issues causing dependency.  They fuel each other.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There are all kinds of stimulants, some worse than others. But pot is where the line gets drawn. Why can't adults make their own personal choices? 

Sure they can... They are usually wrong choices.  Why temperance took off so much in the 18th & 19th century... Production also dropped.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Regarding marijuana, I agree.  I don’t know one person who had their life ruined solely because they smoked weed regularly.  I knew plenty of people, however, who are dead now because of alcohol or tobacco.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Your face is so myopic ?

He he... Yes it is.  I am nearsighted in eyesight only.

I really don't know what the answer is but unleashing weed on the underprivileged certainly will NOT make them more energetic.  That's My biggest concern.  Maybe we just need sacrificial zones... And enter them, leave them when it suits our needs.

Again... My biggest concern is dependency.  Sit outside any gas station in America and watch what moves in and out.  Once again, not judging but just looking @ the empirical evidence of what is taking place.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Up to 4 plants

There isn't going to be a CCBO? Can't see any Canadian government letting this opportunity go to fleece their citizens.

Edited by Dante

24 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I really don't know what the answer is but unleashing weed on the underprivileged certainly will NOT make them more energetic.  That's My biggest concern.  Maybe we just need sacrificial zones... And enter them, leave them when it suits our needs.

Again... My biggest concern is dependency.  Sit outside any gas station in America and watch what moves in and out.  Once again, not judging but just looking @ the empirical evidence of what is taking place.

I got news for ya, brotha.  Legalizing weed is not “unleashing” anything on the “underprivileged.”  They can already get weed really, really easily.

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exill waxes poetic on the ghetto.   Take 24 

??????

Unleashing weed ?????

Its been there for decades ??‍♂️

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'm with JH on this. I know lots of people who use marijuana like some people have a cocktail once in a while. It's not a gateway drug. It's not addictive, physically anyway. Grownups ought to be able to use it as long as they use it safely. Not to excess and not when driving or doing anything important.  With the people you describe, marijuana isn't the problem. If it wasn't pot it would be meth or crack or cough syrup.

And besides, it's not like these people will suddenly start smoking weed just because it's legal. It's pretty widely available now. The idea behind legalization is to get the millions spent on pot out of the black market. Studies have shown that in states where it's been legalized, marijuana use barely increased. That's because most people don't decide to take it up just because of legalization. So that argument is a red herring.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I got news for ya, brotha.  Legalizing weed is not “unleashing” anything on the “underprivileged.”  They can already get weed really, really easily.

Of course.

44 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Exill waxes poetic on the ghetto.   Take 24 

??????

Unleashing weed ?????

Its been there for decades ??‍♂️

Of course.

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm with JH on this. I know lots of people who use marijuana like some people have a cocktail once in a while. It's not a gateway drug. It's not addictive, physically anyway. Grownups ought to be able to use it as long as they use it safely. Not to excess and not when driving or doing anything important.  With the people you describe, marijuana isn't the problem. If it wasn't pot it would be meth or crack or cough syrup.

And besides, it's not like these people will suddenly start smoking weed just because it's legal. It's pretty widely available now. The idea behind legalization is to get the millions spent on pot out of the black market. Studies have shown that in states where it's been legalized, marijuana use barely increased. That's because most people don't decide to take it up just because of legalization. So that argument is a red herring.

We shall see.

I for one, think it's great that it's been legalized, and hope it all works out well for them.

How has it been going, in the states where it's legal?

My old friends back in Colorado haven't mentioned any really negative issues with it, apart from all the people moving into the state. 

We're supposed to have a public referendum down here in a year or two. 

I'm really interested to see how our parliament proposes to manage the system. 

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

this is it.  it has zero to do with legalization, and everything to do with the person.  i know a large number of professionals who do it, and unless you smoked with them, you would absolutely never know.  

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

agree with all of this, especially the bolded.  you don't exactly have to be a super criminal to find pot.