Ralph Wilson would have been 100 years old today; foundation invests 100 mill in WNY

YoloinOhio

Poor Ralph, he took a real beating over his supposed cheapness (when the team was losing, of course). That's the funny thing about sports, all people care about is winning. When you're winning you can be the biggest jerk on the planet, no one cares. Lose and it doesn't matter whether you kept your team in a small market despite having many offers to chase the buck and go elsewhere, and it doesn't matter how many millions you give to charity.

They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone, I think that's true with a hell of a lot of people when it comes to Ralph. 

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yep. I have seen the same as you elsewhere like the TBN link above. 

Perhaps I’m misreading their report? It says $100m for BOTH Buffalo and Detroit with $50m is going to LaSalle park. That may mean that the other $50m is earmarked for other parks, etc. They could have been clearer in their report, regardless.

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps I’m misreading their report? It says $100m for BOTH Buffalo and Detroit with $50m is going to LaSalle park. That may mean that the other $50m is earmarked for other parks, etc. They could have been clearer in their report, regardless.

On 2nd look it looks like a misread with WBEN being correct.  "Ralph C. Wilson JR. Foundation announces gifts of $100 million to both Western New York and Southeastern Michigan."

On 10/17/2018 at 7:07 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good stuff Yolo.... his Will stipulated that his entire estate must be 100% given to charities within 20 years of his passing....

Erik Brady, USA TODAY Sports Published 10:32 a.m. ET June 28, 2017

.."the Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation is in the process of giving away $1.2 billion over 20 years to improve quality of life in Southeastern Michigan, where Wilson lived, and Western New York, where he owned the Bills for 54 years... "

Assuming the foundation splits the donations in half for each community, in today's dollars, 500 million is left for each community.  I wonder what is in store over the coming years.  What a wonderful human being.

• Like (+1) 1