We finally have a great chance at the #1 overall pick

LFC24

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Derek Anderson could very well perform better than Allen in the short term, so hold on thar bobba boy!

If the defense holds this pace Anderson is going to come in and protect the ball. I'm with you, we probably win 1 or 2 more than we would have with JA. Unless something happens on the defensive side of the ball there is no way this team ends up at #1 overall.

1 minute ago, Juice_32 said:

If the defense holds this pace Anderson is going to come in and protect the ball. I'm with you, we probably win 1 or 2 more than we would have with JA. Unless something happens on the defensive side of the ball there is no way this team ends up at #1 overall.

Do you watch other teams?  The best teams?

they don’t care about D at all

never mind, maybe a 7-3 win is in the cards....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Yes, I do. My only point here is that our D is going to allow us to play in slug fests (like we already have). Those kinds of games we are going to eek out some wins in thus lowering our chances of landing the #1 overall pick. 

Whether we pick #1 or just in the Top 5-10, it's going to be interesting to see how the Bills approach this draft.

By most accounts, the 2019 class is going to be one of the strongest Defensive Line drafts in the history of the NFL.  The top 2-3 prospects all play on the D-Line, and it would not be surprising if 75% of the First Round picks are either Defensive Ends or Tackles.  Regardless of where our team needs are, it's going to be ridiculously tough for any GM to pass on the D-Line talent staring them in the face at the top of the draft.

On the flip side, this draft looks very weak on the offensive side.  There are hardly any standouts at Wide Receiver, Offensive Line or even Running Back.  Maybe a few guys will rise into mid-First Round consideration by next April.  But nothing to get really excited about if you are picking at the top of the draft.  Worse yet... It's going to be really tough to get a nice haul trading down, because the Quarterback class also looks mediocre.  And the top prospect (Justin Herbert) could very likely stay in school another season. 

Bottom line -- It's going to be really tough to convince teams to trade into the Top 5, when the top picks are going to be D-Line and there are bound to be excellent D-Line guys still available 20 picks later.  And if we are really determined to upgrade the offensive side of the ball, that could very likely mean passing on a generational defensive talent and reaching too high for a receiver or blocker.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I think they do "care about D". Yes - the best teams can all score points, but the best teams stop teams scoring too. What they don't "care about" is giving up yards. Here are New England's defensive PPG rankings the past 10 seasons (** represents Superbowl Champions):

2017 - 5th

2016 - 1st **

2015 - 10th

2014 - 8th **

2013 - 10th

2012 - 9th

2011 - 15th

2010 - 8th

2009 - 5th

2008 - 8th

That is one year outside a top 10 scoring defense in 10 seasons. Believe me the Patriots "care" about defense. Maybe it is just them, maybe it is Belichick's defense first background? So I looked at the defensive rank of Superbowl Champs since 2008

2017 - Philadelphia - 4th

2016 - New England - 1st

2015 - Denver - 4th

2014 - New England - 8th

2013 - Seattle - 1st

2012 - Baltimore - 12th

2011 - NYG - 25th

2010 - Green Bay - 2nd

2009 - New Orleans - 20th

2008 - Pittsburgh - 1st

So there are two outliers there where teams won the Superbowl giving up a lot of points in the regular season. But the best teams care about both putting up points and giving up as few as possible. I'm not saying that in this day in age you should build to win on defense.... most of those teams were well balanced with good offenses and good defences Denver (good defense, awful offense) and New Orleans (good offense, average defense) might be the two that I'd pick out has heavily skewed one way or the other.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Whether we pick #1 or just in the Top 5-10, it's going to be interesting to see how the Bills approach this draft.

By most accounts, the 2019 class is going to be one of the strongest Defensive Line drafts in the history of the NFL.  The top 2-3 prospects all play on the D-Line, and it would not be surprising if 75% of the First Round picks are either Defensive Ends or Tackles.  Regardless of where our team needs are, it's going to be ridiculously tough for any GM to pass on the D-Line talent staring them in the face at the top of the draft.

On the flip side, this draft looks very weak on the offensive side.  There are hardly any standouts at Wide Receiver, Offensive Line or even Running Back.  Maybe a few guys will rise into mid-First Round consideration by next April.  But nothing to get really excited about if you are picking at the top of the draft.  Worse yet... It's going to be really tough to get a nice haul trading down, because the Quarterback class also looks mediocre.  And the top prospect (Justin Herbert) could very likely stay in school another season. 

Bottom line -- It's going to be really tough to convince teams to trade into the Top 5, when the top picks are going to be D-Line and there are bound to be excellent D-Line guys still available 20 picks later.  And if we are really determined to upgrade the offensive side of the ball, that could very likely mean passing on a generational defensive talent and reaching too high for a receiver or blocker.

That is pretty much what I make of this class at this point too mjt. 

29 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I'm looking for him to be a veteran game manager who just doesn't screw games up with costly turnovers.

10 hours ago, LFC24 said:

With Allen out for at least 3-5 weeks we can finally start thinking about the #1 overall pick. I have no doubt we will be picking top 3. Our offense struggles to put up over 10 points a game and our defense is decent (not top 5 or even top 10 like everyone thinks). We have played 2 bad offenses in a row, every other good QB we have faced this season our defense got ripped apart. 

So what do we do? Trade back or take the top guy available? I doubt anyone has the draft capital to trade up for #1, especially for a defensive end. This is prob one of the worst drafts to own the #1 overall pick. There is no generational type player available, and no top QB's that other teams want to trade out of the pick. We will most likely draft one of the two top DE's. 

First, I don't think the Bills are so bad they overcome the Cards, Indy, or the Giants to be 1st overall. Second, you're factually inaccurate when you say the Bills Defense isn't top 10. In fact, most recently they are ranked 3rd overall in Defense. So, even if we take different sources of Defensive ranking, they're not out of the top 10. 

As for Drafting another QB in the 1st round, I don't see it and I don't think it makes a lot of sense. If you want to go all in on the QB position, trade for a good to great one to school Allen and go from there, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

Yes, I do. My only point here is that our D is going to allow us to play in slug fests (like we already have). Those kinds of games we are going to eek out some wins in thus lowering our chances of landing the #1 overall pick. 

Thats not going to lead to 7 wins even if all goes well

this is JV football without a QB who shows he has a clue what he is doing out there, doesn’t have to be elite

Bills won’t tank the season and will get the 9th pick

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that Bosa and Oliver could be generational players. If the Bills do have the #1 pick and those 2 are there they should take one.

The sad fact is that even if there is stud transitional pick out there, these Bills are more than 1 significant O starter away from having even an average team.

The facts are: we NEED:

1. At least 1 more and probably 2 starter quality players on the OL. Ducasse is simply not starter quality at G, neither Bodine or Groy is or likely to become Wood quality.  We can reasonably be hopeful about Dawkins and while reasonably expecting either Miller or Mills to up there game one cannot expect both to catch lightening in a bottle. Even if one likes Teller or McDermott to improve (I hope they do) "merely" becoming quality swingman back-ups ready to step in when the likely ding happens to an OL starter would in fact be a step-up for these players.

Get a stud with a #1 and you still are looking for a starter quality OL pick with your #2 AND

2. You still need at least 1 and probably 2 starter quality WRs.  I am sorry to say and most reasonable observers do not see statistical evidence beyond his long ago and several dings ago rookie season.  Zay Jones had a storied college career but does anyone reasonably claim he is a proven pro at #2.  Andre Holmes?  The Bills have got to be looking for two WR starter candidates at WR from FA and the draft BUT this needs to fit with us also needing at least 1 if not 2 OL starter quality players AND

3. The fact is that Shady next year is on the wrong side of 30 AND his off-field problems make me interested in adding a starter quality RB next year.  Ivory sometimes makes the play but as in Sundays loss he failed to bull his way to a 1st down which may well have won the game on a 3rd and 2.  RBs can sometimes be found in a late round pick but if the Bills look to next year's draft to fill this need a high pick until Shady gets injured and taking a flyer on a UDFA SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT.

4.  As far as the rest of the O, next year's draft is likely not a target to find a new QB or TE, however, this is not because all problems are solved with the quality demonstrated but we are pretty committed to working with what we got.

However, given our large # of needs if we get a top three pick we gotta trade down.

The Bills will win 5 of their remaining 6 home games. loss to pats,  this Def is the best in the NFL. 

So so that gets them to 7 wins. 

steal 2 more on the road indy and jets or miami 

and your at 9-7 same as last year. 

Not to hard to imagine with that killer defense. 

Edited by 17 Josh Allen

7 minutes ago, KingRex said:

However, given our large # of needs if we get a top three pick we gotta trade down.

I don't agree. The aim of the draft is not the fill holes. It is to acquire talent.... and ideally elite talent. You do not turn down an elite pass rusher to try and secure enough picks to fill all your holes. If it takes 2 drafts it takes 2 drafts..... if they are in position to take Bosa or Oliver they should do it.

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, 17 Josh Allen said:

The Bills will win 5 of their remaining 6 home games. loss to pats,  this Def is the best in the NFL. 

So so that gets them to 7 wins. 

steal 2 more on the road indy and jets or miami 

and your at 9-7 same as last year. 

Not to hard to imagine with that killer defense. 

holy cow, windowpane flashbacks 40 years after dosing...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Brilliant Post and spot on!

I will also add that Free Agency doesn't look to be great in regards to OL and WRs (#2s & 3s). An overall massive offensive upgrade for 2019 is not a certainty at all. If we are lucky enough to be at the top of the draft, you cannot pass on these defensive prospects.