We finally have a great chance at the #1 overall pick

LFC24

I think Arizona has this one wrapped up.

Maybe they will draft another QB seeing how Rosen is a bust ;)

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Surely the Bills can’t be worse than the Cardinals this year?

We already have double their win total and I can see them as sellers( or is it cellars) at the trade deadline.

Historically, when players show up and become the starter in a week they really struggle. If Derek was here through all of training camp I would have some confidence he could win a few games, but that is not the case. At this point I’d be shocked if we won any with Derek. He should make it a lot easier on the eyes than Peterman though.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

If they take a defender anywhere near the top 10 in this draft, it's going to be awful

Fans would throw a fit, but it would probably be the correct move at the end of the day.

You don't reach for need, when a generational talent is staring you in the face.

And if you are looking long-term, you only have 1-2 years before Jerry Hughes' contract runs out.  Someone like Nick Bosa would be a valuable addition.

You do your best to upgrade the roster in Free Agency, hope that Josh Allen develops, cross your fingers that Shady doesn't take a big step back, and go for the most talented players available in the draft regardless of position.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:28 PM, Fadingpain said:

why does that seem familiar to me?

:unsure:

a few losses away from a dozen threads telling me if the Bills win out and 248 games go their way a tiebreak for the wild card should be favourable.

I actually would have little problem if we ended up with the top pick, especially since (rightly or wrongly- time will be the deciding factor) we would probably trade it to a QB-needy team like the Giants or Broncos, both of whom will end up will 10+ losses (even Denver despite last night).  But I don't know how anyone can see how the last 4 games have played out and think that we'll end up with the top pick.

Despite having quite arguably the toughest schedule in the league to start with 4 of our first 6 games (actually, 5 out of our first 7) on the road, including to Minnesota, Green Bay, Baltimore, and Houston, and despite a scarcely existent offense we've still managed two wins... and came a collapse away on Sunday from being at .500.

With the schedule seemingly easing up- Patriots' games aside- in the second-half, with a top-5 defense that will keep us in MOST games... how can anyone still expect us to go 3-13 and get the first overall selection in the 2019 Draft?

This has more the makings of a 5-7 win team, even if it's probably better long-term that we're drafting higher than that.

Edited by Midwest1981

12 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

I actually would have little problem if we ended up with the top pick, especially since (rightly or wrongly- time will be the deciding factor) we would probably trade it to a QB-needy team like the Giants or Broncos, both of whom will end up will 10+ losses (even Denver despite last night).  But I don't know how anyone can see how the last 4 games have played out and think that we'll end up with the top pick.

Despite having quite arguably the toughest schedule in the league to start with 4 of our first 6 games (actually, 5 out of our first 7) on the road, including to Minnesota, Green Bay, Baltimore, and Houston, and despite a scarcely existent offense we've still managed two wins... and came a collapse away on Sunday from being at .500.

With the schedule seemingly easing up- Patriots' games aside- in the second-half, with a top-5 defense that will keep us in MOST games... how can anyone still expect us to go 3-13 and get the first overall selection in the 2019 Draft?

This has more the makings of a 5-7 win team, even if it's probably better long-term that we're drafting higher than that.

I personally see us going 4-12. Pats will sweep us and I think we steal a win vs the Jets/Dolphins. There is no way in hell this team wins over 5 games. 

4-12 will get us into the top 5. 

3 minutes ago, LFC24 said:

I personally see us going 4-12. Pats will sweep us and I think we steal a win vs the Jets/Dolphins. There is no way in hell this team wins over 5 games. 

You say that with no equivocation but- honestly- did you see us even having two wins at this point?  I actually thought 0-8 at the midway point was eminently on the table.

Again, I have no problem if you're right- it'll serve us better ultimately, most likely.  But given our schedule and the road/home disproportion, plus how well our defense is playing, I just can't be as confident in you that "no way in hell this team wins over 5 (total) games" the rest of the season.

Edited by Midwest1981

3 minutes ago, LFC24 said:

Colts, Bears, Jets x 2, Dolphins x 2, and Lions are all winnable without much of a stretch in thinking.  That's 7 winnable games.  Even going 3-4 in those 7 gets them to 5 wins.

I don't see a top-5 pick in this team's future.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Midwest1981 said:

You say that with no equivocation but- honestly- did you see us even having two wins at this point?  I actually thought 0-8 at the midway point was eminently on the table.

Again, I have no problem if you're right- it'll serve us better ultimately, most likely.  But given our schedule and the road/home disproportion, plus how well our defense is playing, I just can't be as confident in you that "no way in hell this team wins over 5 (total) games" the rest of the season.

Agreed

If the Bills DO get the top overall pick -- and I really doubt that's going to happen -- they HAVE to take Bosa. Have to. I realize edge rusher isn't the top "need", but it doesn't matter. You just can't pass on this guy.

More likely, they pick in the 6-11 range, like usual. My hope is that there's an offensive tackle or wide receiver at that spot that fits the value. My fear, however, is that there won't be. If that winds up being the case, they may have no choice but to take the top DE or DT or CB on the board. I know, I know. I'm just saying, you have to go where the value is, and it may not be at OT or WR, as much as we fans want it to be.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Colts, Bears, Jets x 2, Dolphins x 2, and Lions are all winnable without much of a stretch in thinking.  That's 7 winnable games.  Even going 3-4 in those 7 gets them to 5 wins.

I don't see a top-5 pick in this team's future.

why do so many ppl think this defensive performance can last the rest of the season?

Every top offensive team we have faced they blew us out. We have played 2 mediocre offenses in a row 

10 minutes ago, LFC24 said:

why do so many ppl think this defensive performance can last the rest of the season?

Every top offensive team we have faced they blew us out. We have played 2 mediocre offenses in a row 

This defense has demonstrated it's well beyond it's first 6 quarters of the season.  Even non-Bills' fans are buying into that, but I guess you're not.

I'll throw out Tennessee- they're devolving into a mess, offensively.  But holding the Vikings to 7 points on the road is a very laudable effort- they're scored 133 points in their over 5 games (26.6).  Holding the Packers to 22- with absolutely no offensive help and in fact the offense having a detrimental effect on its own defense- is notable as well.  Finally, holding Houston's offense to 13 points on the road (that's excluding Joseph's pick-six but not discounting the special teams miscues which produced Texans' points) is a strong effort, too.

It's not like we generally face too many dynamic, potent, and unstoppable offenses the last 10 games, not with the Jets, Dolphins, and Jaguars making up 5 games alone.

I don't think we're suddenly good, overall, just not 1st overall or even top-3 bad.  More like 5/6 win and top 8-10 win bad.

Edited by Midwest1981

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Historically, when players show up and become the starter in a week they really struggle. If Derek was here through all of training camp I would have some confidence he could win a few games, but that is not the case. At this point I’d be shocked if we won any with Derek. He should make it a lot easier on the eyes than Peterman though.

That’s what I’d thought, but then I looked back at some recent examples - see my long (well, too long) post on Derek Anderson, Replacement Level QB. Bottom line: I found 7 recent mid season veteran “off the street” signings, including our own Thad Lewis. I determined that there was no apparent drop off in performance in all but one of them, and an actual improvement in performance in 2 or 3, mostly because the guys they were replacing were so bad (likely because the emergency guy got signed because the backup got hurt). So I don’t expect anything great or even very good from Anderson, but there’s no reason to think he (1) won’t be better than Allen; (2) will be anything other than his reasonably competent backup self after 10 days or so itch the team. 

• Like (+1) 1