Peter King with Murph & Tasker Today: Bills' QB Situation is Lunacy

Fadingpain

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Differences

Teddy and McCown are veteran QBs with much experience in the league as starting QBs. They have even had success as starters

McCarron and Peterman have less than half a season combined as starters in the league. Aj had some success in a couple of games, Peterman has started a game without getting a mercy pull around halftime and putting up historically bad numbers.

Darnold was expected to be a QB that could come in and compete for a starting job. He had flaws but was polished enough that he could start from day 1 with expected blemishes occasionally

Allen was expected to have to sit and learn for a while as he was not as polished or ready to play immediately, if at all this season. He had the highest potential for being a bust, but if it worked out, they also felt he had the highest potential/ceiling.

Its painful to say it, but the Jets did this the right way, the Bill's created a huge mess that could potentially set the franchise back a long time......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is WAY worse than 2013!! The Bills got a guy in 2013 to be the caretaker and he got hurt. The Bills CHOSE to get rid of the caretaker that they signed this year (McCarron) because they thought Peterman could do the job. They created this mess by choice while 2013 was created by an injury to Kolb. You rail on Whaley every chance that you get but don’t distort the facts. The Bills were unlucky in 2013. The Bills were stupid in 2018.

They also drafted receivers in rounds 2 and 3 in 2013 to support their young QB. Those receivers played along side Stevie who was young as well. They tried to give their QB some weapons. The job done this year was infinitely worse.

Kevin Kolb was injured a week before the 1st preseason game in 2013. Dimwit Doug had over a month before week 1 to bring someone in but instead chose to roll with EJ :lol: and Tuel. That defines clown show.

McCarron was beaten out by Peterman in pre-season and was traded for another asset. I see no problem with that logic. Unfortunately, Peterman was not up for the challenge. All the changes on the OL during the off-season for Week 1 didn’t help, and the Ravens D is no joke, but yes, that was a mistake trusting him with the job. Above all else, I blame Peterman.:thumbdown:

And I will continue to rail against Whaley as long as I see people on this board wishing that he was still here. He was a chump who left this franchise in a huge mess. 7 years of FAILURE. This regime is already 1-0, with 1 bad play away from being 3-3 in their 2nd season. We can agree to disagree though. :D

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree give them Shady and a 2nd rd pick and Peterman if they want him. I think Foles is a solid QB, he runs hot and cold but if he gets hot he is hard to beat. Plus I think he hates Tom Brady.

Not even in the realm of possibility. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Tasker said that Derek Anderson did not want to go through a training camp at 35yrs old, and he wanted to spend time with his family. 

And it was reported that Josh McCown’s preference was to stay with the Jets and wanted to be promised the starting role (which the Jets did do initially). 

And the others. 

54 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Peterman cant even prevent himself from making basic mistakes, how is he supposed to help Allen learn to not make them? There is nothing special about Peterman that you cant get from any other street FA QB. Even the idea that 'he was the only one with experience in the offence' was wrong because a brand new OC was hired this offseason meaning none of the QBs bad an advantage because none of them played for Daboll before. That might be the only excuse for him staying on the roster now is that he knows the playbook over any one they bring in now

Peterman is here and stays on the roster cause the coach has a man crush on him and they see something in him that no one else can see apparently

Once again, I am 100% sure that Peterman could teach Allen SOMETHING good that would help him develop, and I am also 100% sure that Peterman will never be a successful #1 QB on any team in the NFL.  I agree that Peterman is not special, he was drafted in the 5th round, and has shown why he was a 5th rounder.... But he IS smart, and is cheap (Which is important considering our cap situation), and he supposedly looked best throughout TC and Preseason.  I never said that they kept him this year because he played in this offense last year, I realize Daboll was not here and it is a new system.  

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Kevin Kolb was injured a week before the 1st preseason game in 2013. Dimwit Doug had over a month before week 1 to bring someone in but instead chose to roll with EJ :lol: and Tuel. That defines clown show.

McCarron was beaten out by Peterman in pre-season and was traded for another asset. I see no problem with that logic. Unfortunately, Peterman was not up for the challenge. All the changes on the OL during the off-season for Week 1 didn’t help, and the Ravens D is no joke, but yes, that was a mistake trusting him with the job. Above all else, I blame Peterman.:thumbdown:

And I will continue to rail against Whaley as long as I see people on this board wishing that he was still here. He was a chump who left this franchise in a huge mess. 7 years of FAILURE. This regime is already 1-0, with 1 bad play away from being 3-3 in their 2nd season. We can agree to disagree though. :D

I firmly believe that Whaley did a better job than these guys. Those teams had WAY more talent. They just had Rex. I hold coaches to record and GMs to talent. The Bills had the 21st best point differential last year and went to the playoffs. They executed in close games. It is the complete opposite of the Ryan era. The Bills are well coached now (like they were with Marone).

They are the least talented roster in football and bungled the QB position in epic fashion. If Allen turns into a player it will mask the mistakes. If he doesn’t the failure will multiply. So far the Bills have have a historically bad offense. You don’t get credit for trading up for a project QB and then trading the vet because of Peterman. You don’t give your rookie QB this OL and these weapons. That is complete failure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Money wouldn’t have been an issue at all in adding Bridgewater. They wanted to keep the path clear for their 1st round guy. They bungled the situation and there really is no way around it. 

As I’ve stated, I generally am a fan of this FO and staff to this point. It’s hard to argue they didn’t bungle this whole QB thing, and it happens to be the MOST important “thing”. Still, I like the general directions. I hope Allen works out, and if this general direction continues, I hope they get the chance to find the new QB. I know....hard to say in light of the recent offense and other current events, but I can look down the road a bit. Short term thinking gets a guy fired every other year, then you start over. Then you suck again from scratch.  I don’t want to start from scratch. New everything, rinse and repeat. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

As I’ve stated, I generally am a fan of this FO and staff to this point. It’s hard to argue they didn’t bungle this whole QB thing, and it happens to be the MOST important “thing”. Still, I like the general directions. I hope Allen works out, and if this general direction continues, I hope they get the chance to find the new QB. I know....hard to say in light of the recent offense and other current events, but I can look down the road a bit. Short term thinking gets a guy fired every other year, then you start over. Then you suck again from scratch.  I don’t want to start from scratch. New everything, rinse and repeat. 

There has certainly been some good with some bad. That’s the case for EVERY FO. They’ve done well with the back 7 and they’ve bungled QB & WR. The book isn’t written yet but I’m not sure any of that is up for debate at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There has certainly been some good with some bad. That’s the case for EVERY FO. They’ve done well with the back 7 and they’ve bungled QB & WR. The book isn’t written yet but I’m not sure any of that is up for debate at this point. 

The D looks very good, the offense is putrid. (ST? Still not a Crossman fan...how does he survive?) I expected the offense to be bad, but not THIS bad! I’d give them at least one more year to work on building this into a whole team. They started with what they know best, but need help and luck correcting the rest. Since I have no control, I’ll watch and hope they get it right. ANYTHING is a step up from Rex. 

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Usually, I mostly agree with your take but I have a different perspective on this issue. When McDermott took over it was his intention to rebuild the roster and also the organization. He wasn't going to follow the incremental approach that Whaley took. He not only was going to tear the roster apart but also the organization. This was an intended nearly complete rebuild. With that as a backdrop it wasn't going to be a one or two year restructuring. This was going to be a four year task that was going to inevitably be painful, at least in the short run. The mistake that many people make is over-rating this team because it made the playoffs last year. That was not a playoff team! Making the playoffs with last year's stripped down roster was an astonishing accomplishment. 

Did McBeane fumble the qb issue? Probably so. What sidetracked the strategy was that Peterman outperformed McCarron in camp. In addition, what was learned from the King interview was that McCarron had no interest in mentoring a rookie. He came here to start. So he wanted out and was accommodated. The mistake that was made was that they shouldn't have brought McCarron in when there were other veteran qbs available who would have been more receptive to the mentoring role. 

Our offense is dreadful. That's as obvious as saying that it is dark at night. There was simply no way that a team that was jettisoning players for future cap relief was going to address the many holes on the offense. I don't care how adroit management is that when you are going through a major rebuild you can't do it in two years. 

I'm just more optimistic than you are. I see a direction and a plan that is being implemented. It's certainly a painful process to go through. But it's my view that doing it upfront instead of stringing it out is the right approach to take. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

All these people in this thread talking about preseason performance as if it means anything. Get with it. Preseason games are televised intersquad practices. Your good players either don’t play or don’t try. Their main focus is don’t get injured. Your coaches aren’t running anything, offensively or defensively, that they are going to use in the games that matter. The overall goal of a preseason game isn’t even the same as a regular season game. No one is trying to win. They may say so to get the suckers to attend, but it ain’t. 

They should have made the decision based on actual performance. By any measure, McCarron outplayed Peterman in actual, regular season games (limited sample size for both I know.) not glorified scrimmages.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

EJ > Josh Allen at this point.  Whaley’s teams > McBeane

keep dreamin’ lil’ Rico :)

58 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They are beyond dreadful with offenses.  Mike McCoy was their first choice for OC and he is about to get fired for like the 3rd time in 3 years.  If the Bills keep up this pace, Daboll should get fired. 3 OCs in 3 years!  Good times.

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is WAY worse than 2013!! The Bills got a guy in 2013 to be the caretaker and he got hurt. The Bills CHOSE to get rid of the caretaker that they signed this year (McCarron) because they thought Peterman could do the job. They created this mess by choice while 2013 was created by an injury to Kolb. You rail on Whaley every chance that you get but don’t distort the facts. The Bills were unlucky in 2013. The Bills were stupid in 2018.

They also drafted receivers in rounds 2 and 3 in 2013 to support their young QB. Those receivers played along side Stevie who was young as well. They tried to give their QB some weapons. The job done this year was infinitely worse.

No no no........2013 was nothing to do with luck at all...........signing Kevin Kolb and calling him their starting QB was a totally scripted sham by a sweet taikin' out-of-depth GM and a new HC who thought they were much more clever than they are.    

Kolb was signed because they knew he would be an empty tomato can that a rookie QB could kick aside.........but in the event that the rookie couldn't play well enough to convince the locker room..........the physically disabled Kolb would inevitably get hurt and "welp......guess we gotta' start the rookie".  

The Bills knew Kolb was glass.    Their own Alex Carrington nearly broke every bone in his body only months before with a seemingly harmless tackle and I have no doubt in my mind that situation planted the seed in Buddy's head.    There is no way possible they thought that he could make it thru any extended period of a season at that point.

In both cases the Bills were stupid.    Neither situation was bad luck.    If it had worked they'd certainly have gotten lucky but not the other way around.    

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1