Peter King with Murph & Tasker Today: Bills' QB Situation is Lunacy

Fadingpain

4 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I can’t blame the FO for what has transpired. It was fairly clear in preseason that it Peterson won the job. And Allen was also playing very well for a rookie. McCarron was the worse QB on the roster. What the FO didn’t know, and what was their job to know, was that Peterman would completely destruct during the season. Allen is playing pretty much as expected. As for signing Anderson, looks like they had little other choice. 

McD rigged it so it would appear that NP "won" that competition by shielding him from essentially any opponents starting D.  Against bums, the sum of his performance was enough to give McD cover when he made the announcement that NP would be the week 1 starter.  

Of course, the result was completely predictable.  A preventable disaster.   How anyone can claim, now, that "the FO didn't know that Peterman would completely destruct during the season"...is laughable.  Most fans on this site knew this was the only possible outcome of this decision.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beane had rational reasons to make each of the decisions that he made.  But with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, we can see that Peter King is right.  The QB position - in its entirety - was mismanaged.  Given where we're at now, you can't argue the point.

Here we are with our only healthy QBs being Nate Peterman and his sub-30 career passer rating, and mediocre journeyman, Derek Anderson, who's barely had a week to learn the offense.     

Feels a bit like '68 when the awesome trio of Dan Darragh, Ed Rutkowski and Kay Stepenson were in the QB room and each of them had starts.    

from an outside standpoint it legit looks like Beane has no ***** clue what he is doing. 

he has mishandled so many positions..QB, OL, WR, CB. He basically traded away, let go all of our talent to clear up capspace to get Allen and bring in whatever FA's that will come here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If this season is a total wash as you say and doesn’t matter at all, why con Kyle Williams into playing? Why keep Shady and likely waste one of his last two good years? Why keep Lorax? 

It always amazes me how malleable the "these guys see the situation the way I do" phase of fan relationship with the new HC/GM is.

It's entirely clear by action that McBeane do not see things the way fans who were anticipating "tank" last year and "step back" this year do and yet they continue to reach for that defense.

4 hours ago, Hurricane said:

Because hes a 5th round pick that doesnt belong in the NFL and probably would of been cut already of he was on another team..

There have been plenty of later round picks that have made it in the NFL, so I really don’t think that’s the reason. As I recall Brady was solidly back end of his draft too, to cite an extreme example. I think NP’s deal is a bad combination of horrible situational football (his starts have mainly been on the road against great D’s) and play calling that offers him little in the way of using his strengths vs. minimizing his weaknesses, and yes, a pressure pipe of some kind bursting at the worst times causing him to forget everything he’s worked on during the week seemingly. I hate it for him, and us as the fans. Wish him well wherever life’s winding road leads him post-Buffalo, as that break will be happening soon.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I can’t blame the FO for what has transpired. It was fairly clear in preseason that it Peterson won the job. And Allen was also playing very well for a rookie. McCarron was the worse QB on the roster. What the FO didn’t know, and what was their job to know, was that Peterman would completely destruct during the season. Allen is playing pretty much as expected. As for signing Anderson, looks like they had little other choice. 

You can’t blame the FO? Who was surprised Peterman has played this poorly? Did the Chargers’ game last year never happen? 

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Not as bad as EJ & Tuel :doh:, but not good. I blame Peterman.

Actually Tuel and EJ were clearly better statistically.    It is amazing the parallels to 2013.  Peterman and Tuel are basically the same guy.    And EJ and Allen are both big athletic guys who look the part but can’t read

a Defense and aren’t accurate enough.

McCarron and Kolb had similar experience levels and both seemed like they could develop into solid NFL QBs when the Bills signed them, Only to look Terrible in preseason / training camp, suffer pre-season injuries and never play for the Bills in the Reg. Season.  Both EJ and Allen end up forced into action in week 1 before they are ready.

Throw in Thad Lewis getting picked up mid-season and starting a game on 1 week of practice.  Welcome Derek Anderson.

Obviously McDerrmott studied Marrone’s expert handling of QBs and said, “that’s the way to do it.”  At this rate McD will quit on New Year’s Eve after his 2nd season

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There is one thing that you left out. The ONLY other guy that the Bills ended up keeping was off to the worst start that a QB has ever had. While Keenum, Bradford, Kolb and McCarron have all had varying degrees of success in this league Peterman had not. The decision would be much easier to defend if they kept someone like Anderson to begin with. Having confidence in Peterman is where this thing got sideways. That’s on the FO.

AMEN.

• Like (+1) 1

I've always liked Peter King, but any d!ckbag with a functioning prefrontal cortex can already see that Beane and McDermott have butchered this thing, and they don't have the spine to admit it. And isn't accountability a part of the fabled "Process"? Didn't these yayhoos cut Jonathan Williams at the start of last season due to "ball security" concerns? Well Peterman is a walking, talking "ball security" issue. Where's the accountability in this situation? Oh that's right- he is a hard-working, kind, God-fearing young man...and all that bull****. I believe this is called hypocrisy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah but he consistently did well in preseason and earned a spot.  Then he just does what he does in games.  Just a mystery to me.

The games faster and magnifies shortcomings in the regular season. It gets worse in the 4th quarter, and then moreso in post season.

26 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Actually Tuel and EJ were clearly better statistically.    It is amazing the parallels to 2013.  Peterman and Tuel are basically the same guy.    And EJ and Allen are both big athletic guys who look the part but can’t read

a Defense and aren’t accurate enough.

McCarron and Kolb had similar experience levels and both seemed like they could develop into solid NFL QBs when the Bills signed them, Only to look Terrible in preseason / training camp, suffer pre-season injuries and never play for the Bills in the Reg. Season.  Both EJ and Allen end up forced into action in week 1 before they are ready.

Throw in Thad Lewis getting picked up mid-season and starting a game on 1 week of practice.  Welcome Derek Anderson.

Obviously McDerrmott studied Marrone’s expert handling of QBs and said, “that’s the way to do it.”  At this rate McD will quit on New Year’s Eve after his 2nd season

Yea, but mcd hired a qb coach. Granted, a wr coach to coach QBs... but progress.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

"To trade your only slightly proven guy was a mistake and clearly if you look at this situation logically you would say that it's absolute lunacy that it's likely or even possible that in Week 7 of the NFL season, the starting QB for the rest of the season could be a guy they picked up off the street.  It's been a mismanaged position."

"This has turned into a disaster at the most important position in team sports."

From Hour 3 of One Bills Live today.

Starts 2 minutes into the hour.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-16-hr-3-one-bills-live

I totally agree with Peter King... you have to be clueless to what has been going on the past 2 years to feel differently 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Peterman had 2 very good preseasons. I can also hit a great bucket of balls, but once I get out on the course it gets ugly...its simple he doesn't have the arm strength to throw an NFL out. That alone should disqualify him from ever stepping on an NFL field.

Some of these guys "reinvent themselves" like Fitz and make up for weak arm strength other ways like experience.  So wouldn't completely count Peterman out long term.  He may be another of these guys who hangs around for 10 plus years as a backup

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Some of these guys "reinvent themselves" like Fitz and make up for weak arm strength other ways like experience.  So wouldn't completely count Peterman out long term.  He may be another of these guys who hangs around for 10 plus years as a backup

Too many people mistake guys like Fitz with guys like Peterman. There is a world of difference in their arm strength and talent. Fitz can make every throw. Peterman cannot and never will. It’s a physical liability. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Ok.  They weren't going to spend a fortune in a guy knowing they were drafting a guy. 

That simply calls for the question to be asked "why not?"

The Browns traded for Tyrod Taylor with his 3 yrs of starts, signed vet Drew Stanton with his 17 starts - then drafted a guy

The NY Jets had a capable, proven vet on the roster in McCown AND signed Teddy Bridgewater for only $0.5M guaranteed - then drafted a guy

The Arizona Cardinals signed a capable proven starter in Bradford, signed vet Mike Glennon with his 22 starts - then drafted a guy

I don't think either Taylor or Bradford worked out as their respective teams hoped, but the fact remains that if their precious high draft pick guy were injured, they wouldn't be sifting through scrap heaps to find a vet then hoping a guy who was sitting on his porch 2 weeks ago can speed-read the playbook, or facing the unpalatable alternative of hoping Mr Speed Reader can shake the cobwebs off in time, or starting a 2nd year player who got the hook halfway through 2 of his 3 starts and who rocks a mighty 0.33 TD/INT ratio and 4.3 ypa to accompany his 44.3% completions.

The Bills have been under-investing in QBs for literally 2+ decades.   We know the results.  It continues.

Why is this OK?

2 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

I've always liked Peter King, but anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex can already see that Beane and McDermott have butchered this thing, and they don't have the spine to admit it. And isn't accountability a part of the fabled "Process"? Didn't these yayhoos cut Jonathan Williams at the start of last season due to "ball security" concerns? Well Peterman is a walking, talking "ball security" issue. Where's the accountability in this situation? Oh that's right- he is a hard-working, kind, God-fearing young man...and all that bull****. I believe this is called hypocrisy.

It's kind of scaring me to find myself agreeing with you, but When You're Right, You're Right.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2