Peter King with Murph & Tasker Today: Bills' QB Situation is Lunacy

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Can also rightfully Criticize going McCarron in offseason to begin with knowing you are about to draft a rookie. So your idea before draft is to put 2 5th round picks with a total what 5 games experience combined 

The alternative was paying Bradford $20 million or trading a 1st for Foles. If you want to nitpick i guess we should have signed Bridgewater, us and 30 other teams. But you know what I'm good with spending $5 million on a high 5th round pick. Yes even accounting for Peterman having to start 3 quarters of football. We'll get over it.

Just now, HappyDays said:

The alternative was paying Bradford $20 million or trading a 1st for Foles. If you want to nitpick i guess we should have signed Bridgewater, us and 30 other teams. But you know what I'm good with spending $5 million on a high 5th round pick. Yes even accounting for Peterman having to start 3 quarters of football. We'll get over it.

If this season is a total wash as you say and doesn’t matter at all, why con Kyle Williams into playing? Why keep Shady and likely waste one of his last two good years? Why keep Lorax? 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If this season is a total wash as you say and doesn’t matter at all, why con Kyle Williams into playing? Why keep Shady and likely waste one of his last two good years? Why keep Lorax? 

Every player you mentioned is important to building the culture here. Phillips and Edmunds will learn a ton from Kyle and Lorax. And they didnt con anyone. We traded up for a raw rookie QB - do you think Kyle Williams has his eye on the Lombardi this year? After all the Bills teams he's been with this is the one that will break his spirit? This season is about developing our young talent. Trading Shady without his approval means you lose the locker room. Trading McCarron for a 5th round pick doesn't mean anything. He was here for training camp and vomited all over himself against future insurance salesmen. For all we know he could have been as terrible as Peterman was.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, unclepete said:

Any rational person would agree. Except they should have picked up Bridgewater or Derek Anderson in the offseason instead of McCarron.

I agree about Bridgewater.  I think he can be a good QB in this league.  His knee didn’t look like it was giving him any problems in the preseason.  He would have been a great addition to this team.

Is Thad Lewis still in the league.  Call him up!

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Beane had rational reasons to make each of the decisions that he made.  But with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, we can see that Peter King is right.  The QB position - in its entirety - was mismanaged.  Given where we're at now, you can't argue the point.

Actually, yes you can … management decisions can not account for every possible variable so you have to end up taking calculated risks, and you can't judge past decisions using the benefit of hindsight. So if you agree that Beane had rational reasons to make each of the decisions that he made, than you can't possibly believe that the QB position - in its entirety was mismanaged.

I would agree that he could (or should) have handled it better by getting Anderson here the day after McCarron was traded, but that was a calculated risk that ended up biting them in the posterior. The only upsetting thing to me is why Anderson wasn't here the day after the first game when they knew (or should have known) Nate wasn't going to work out.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

"To trade your only slightly proven guy was a mistake and clearly if you look at this situation logically you would say that it's absolute lunacy that it's likely or even possible that in Week 7 of the NFL season, the starting QB for the rest of the season could be a guy they picked up off the street.  It's been a mismanaged position."

"This has turned into a disaster at the most important position in team sports."

Breaking news...the esteemed Peter King has determined that the Bills inexplicable faith in NP has put them in a bad position at QB.

I for one didn't need PK or a new thread for confirmation of any of this.

3 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

I can’t blame the FO for what has transpired. It was fairly clear in preseason that it Peterson won the job. And Allen was also playing very well for a rookie. McCarron was the worse QB on the roster. What the FO didn’t know, and what was their job to know, was that Peterman would completely destruct during the season. Allen is playing pretty much as expected. As for signing Anderson, looks like they had little other choice. 

Especially this^

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

A normal team coming off a playoff season would have kept Taylor, drafted Allen, and cut Peterman.  But that is not very Billsy, 

Wow.  Someone actually said it.  They made a huge mistake that will probably cost them their jobs.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

They look completely incompetent on the offensive side of the ball.

I agree.   

I know the Bills have the lowest paid roster in the NFL.  I wonder how that breaks down between offense and defense - because the D is actually playing well.   The O, on the other hand, is painful to watch.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If this season is a planned trainwreck, under no circumstances do you put Allen out there. 

They have no plan. It is just incompetence.

I disagree.  In just one year with Beane, the defensive roster is already on its way to being very good.  

And - according to Over the Cap - we have the 4th most available cap dollars in 2019 and the most in 2020.  That didn't happen by accident.  Beane very planfully got rid of the big contracts so he'd have some money to spend going forward.  

While I'm convinced Beane has a plan,  I don't know if it'll be executed successfully because I don't know yet if Beane knows how to draft well or how to capably spend FA dollars.  We'll see.  

Allen was out there to gain live reps.  He's unpolished and needs experience under center - though the circumstances have been far from ideal. 

I'm sure McD is trying to win every game.  Given how he's managed the cap, Beane clearly sees this is a rebuilding year -   kind of like an extended preseason for 2019.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Every player you mentioned is important to building the culture here. Phillips and Edmunds will learn a ton from Kyle and Lorax. And they didnt con anyone. We traded up for a raw rookie QB - do you think Kyle Williams has his eye on the Lombardi this year? After all the Bills teams he's been with this is the one that will break his spirit? This season is about developing our young talent. Trading Shady without his approval means you lose the locker room. Trading McCarron for a 5th round pick doesn't mean anything. He was here for training camp and vomited all over himself against future insurance salesmen. For all we know he could have been as terrible as Peterman was.

Then how come the same doesn’t apply to the offense? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree.   

I know the Bills have the lowest paid roster in the NFL.  I wonder how that breaks down between offense and defense - because the D is actually playing well.   The O, on the other hand, is painful to watch.

I disagree.  In just one year with Beane, the defensive roster is already on its way to being very good.  

And - according to Over the Cap - we have the 4th most available cap dollars in 2019 and the most in 2020.  That didn't happen by accident.  Beane very planfully got rid of the big contracts so he'd have some money to spend going forward.  

While I'm convinced Beane has a plan,  I don't know if it'll be executed successfully because I don't know yet if Beane knows how to draft well or how to capably spend FA dollars.  We'll see.  

Allen was out there to gain live reps.  He's unpolished and needs experience under center - though the circumstances have been far from ideal. 

I'm sure McD is trying to win every game.  Given how he's managed the cap, Beane clearly sees this is a rebuilding year -   kind of like an extended preseason for 2019.  

That's the one thing I'll give them. They have a plan to create as much cap space possible, and do it their way.

Defensively, can't argue with it at all. I'm just not sure I see any plan with the offense other than drafting some QB high. They just did nothing there outside of QB. Was the thought process maybe you take the LT in 17, he'll protect the QB in 18? It ended up being not enough and is being very generous to them.

So this next year they're going to build the whole offense? They just have so much to do on that side of the ball and completely ignored it. It just makes it tough for me to have faith in any sort of plan.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

But Peterman was clearly better than McCarron in preseason.  The mystery is why Peterman throws up on himself

Preseason means very little. It's been covered for years, no gameplan, vanilla defense, many players won't be in the league come opening day. Fans could get fooled year after year but pro personnel shouldn't be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Since before the draft???  Nope that was McCarron and Peterman. I notice you refuse to go when they started this entire mismanagement Free Agency

Actually, Tasker said that they tried to sign Anderson and ended up with McCarron (after Anderson turned them down). So yes, they did try to sign him before the draft. 

They tried to sign Josh McCown too (peter king was actually the one to first report it), but he chose the Jets. 

Edited by BillsFan4