Going Through WORST Possible Scenario With Allen

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Well, that's not the ONLY reason I'm discrediting it. Just the easiest one.

There is ZERO chance McDermott's being fired after this year. That's all just a fantasy of the people who never liked him to begin with.

If the owners sell the team to trump McD will history ?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Well, that's not the ONLY reason I'm discrediting it. Just the easiest one.

There is ZERO chance McDermott's being fired after this year. That's all just a fantasy of the people who never liked him to begin with.

I have been a very big McDermott supporter but the whole Peterman thing makes him look kind of clueless.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, PolishDave said:

You think a few games on the bench are going to make him a decent NFL starting QB?

I don't.   I think being thrown in the deep end of the pool without a lifejacket will make him either learn to swim or drown.   Either way Bills know which direction to go after this year.   But, only if he has enough playing time.

I see both points of view, but tend to agree with you.  A lot really depends on the individual.

I think Allen has a lot of mental toughness, just based on what I’ve seen.  I like that he is getting a breather here for a few games - he can take his experiences so far and see how a vet handles similar situations.  But I’d want to see him back in as soon as he’s able to play again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Its possible this is 2013-2014 with EJ Manuel all over again.

Project QB, garbage QB's on the roster, not impressive in the games he'd played outside of one (EJ-Carolina, Allen-Minnesota), hurt midseason, not impressive, team invests in WR to "help" young QB, young QB still sucks and is benched 4 games into second year for a veteran QB who was talked out of retirement.  

Things certainly aren't in great order right now with Bills' QB's but gosh it's waaaayyyyyy too early to be making the EJ and 2013 comparison.   The Bills simply need another off-season to plug some holes and for their young players to be further along. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I have been a very big McDermott supporter but the whole Peterman thing makes him look kind of clueless.

Really. Well, if you think back to pre-season, which of the three QBs had the best look over the pre-season?

Peterman.

Look, I get it. The dude sucks. But if you look at it through that lens, it makes some kind of sense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

That was true before he bungled the QB situation as badly as he possibly could.  I thought after ending the drought he would get a full 4 years but depending on how the rest of the season goes, I could see McDermott being gone after the season.  Also I don't necessarily think that means Beane would be gone too.

I honestly think right now it is close to 50/50 whether we keep McDermott or not and like I said it depends on how the rest of the season goes.  If we finish say 4-12 with the offense looking this bad all season I think he is gone.

This whole thing was just done so badly from the get go.  It is exactly the opposite of what any credible NFL front office person would say to do when drafting a potential franchise QB early in the draft.  They did not make offense a priority in free agency and what we have now would put any QB in a tough position.  But come on, you draft Josh Allen who everyone whether they liked him or not would say is a raw prospect and go into the season with Nate Peterman as the only other QB on the roster?  A total of one start in the NFL between them and in that one start Peterman had to be pulled after a historically bad 5 interception first half. 

Looking at this mess now, how can the current state of the offense and QB situation not shake the confidence Pegula has in McBeane.  It is a total embarrassment.  McDermott has let Peterman embarrass him 3 times and I am sure Pegula is getting pretty tired of his teams making national headlines only when they do embarrassing things.  McDermott til this day leaves himself open by having Peterman on the roster.

McDermott has gone out of his way to try and make Peterman the starting QB of this team to his own peril.  McDermott was looking for a reason to make Peterman the stater and a preseason that good teams now consider meaningless was all the excuse he needed.  Our defense looks great but that can only take you so far in today's NFL.  I expect that defense is going to have some rough days when the go up against the better QB's and our offense can't get a first down.  We might end up having the worst offense in the NFL in a decade or longer.  If that happens nobody should be safe.

A player evaluation of one player does not trump a playoff birth.....it just does not.

Now if Josh doesnt work out?   That is a different scenario

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Things certainly aren't in great order right now with Bills' QB's but gosh it's waaaayyyyyy too early to be making the EJ and 2013 comparison.   The Bills simply need another off-season to plug some holes and for their young players to be further along. 

Honestly, what if the Bills bucked convention and drafted another QB? 

Especially if Allen gets back in this season and is still not impressive.

Anderson will not be here next year, and neither will Peterman if our Coach is being honest.

8 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Honestly, what if the Bills bucked convention and drafted another QB? 

Especially if Allen gets back in this season and is still not impressive.

Anderson will not be here next year, and neither will Peterman if our Coach is being honest.

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Really. Well, if you think back to pre-season, which of the three QBs had the best look over the pre-season?

Peterman.

Look, I get it. The dude sucks. But if you look at it through that lens, it makes some kind of sense.

He got the gift start in San Diego, and threw 5 picks. 

Managed the game effectively against the Colts. 

Came in against Jacksonville and immediately threw a pick (on an outside throw). 

Once it became apparent that McCarron plays like Matt Cassel and checks down relentlessly, why would the Bills waste time with Peterman? 

I was in favor of Allen starting immediately. It always made sense that after giving up Glenn, #12, #53 and #56 that he needed to be the only focus of the organization. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:27 PM, joesixpack said:

Good god. People really need to get a grip.

There is a zero point zero chance of the bills drafing another qb next year. 0.0.

Reading this board has become unbearable.   There always has been the teeth gnashing after losses but these hot takes over the past few weeks has been insane.  I dont even enjoy coming here as much as I used to.  They're ruining the board.

I have to sift through all this garbage to read a few interesting posts here and there.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is so laughable......the man took his team to the playoffs last year for the first time in 17 years

He is not going ANYWHERE.....at least not this year or next

Then he traded his QB without a plan.  Traded the other QB with experience at camp and has created an absurd situation at the position  As much as I am impressed with last season and his defense this mistake has been basically career killing.  I think he gets one more year too.  I am ok with that. I wish him the best obviously.  He is a great defensive mind.  They have done some good with the draft.  But one more mistake like this and its over I think. 

On 10/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, TaskersGhost said:

Where they whiffed is in team-building.  Too many fans think that simply having a QB will do it despite the notion that it STILL all starts in the trenches to borrow an overused cliche`.  

The fact that the front-office thinks like says little for them and frankly, they're both OJT types, Beane in his role and McD in his.  

They are responsible, but how many people and fans applauded what they traded to get "their guy?"  Be honest.  When you take such risks your career necessarily hinges on those risks.  They could easily have had Edmunds, who was a great pick at 12th overall.  So in essence their other 4 picks between 16th overall through the 65th (1st in the 3rd round) is what it took to get Allen.  

Think of the team that they could have begun building with those picks, hell, they could have completely revamped the O-line to the extent that any average QB would have looked better than Allen, Peterman, Taylor or anyone else, then used their 1st next year to get a QB.  

But NOOOOO!  They've gotta do it their way with much support from the fans, many here, about "their guy."  Well Manuel was "their guy" too under a different tag-team.  

The bottom line is that they clearly don't know what they're doing in the same manner that anyone that foolishly thinks a new stadium is forthcoming.  Neither do the Pegulas, but that's another matter altogether.  

What the franchise doens't need right now is this.  It'll be a minor miracle if they can turn this around by the end of 2020 much less keep their jobs til then.  At that point we'll be in the option years for the lease when I doubt that any respectable coach or GM will want to touch this franchise and its 20+ years of abject misery.  

This is a classic example of what happens in style-over-substance management.  

As I started, they whiffed miserably at team building, actually, seemingly going in reverse, oddly.  At this point it's simply a question of who's next and when and whether they'll be the next two undeserving candidates or whether they'll actually know what they're doing.  

on the other hand...the one you're not sitting on.....they shed some bad contracts and avoided overpaying guys who didn't wanna be here.

they are bearing through almost 60 mil. in dead money this year.....twice as much as the nearest team.

they have 10 picks in the next draft and by the time that gets here we may have 2 picks in each of the first 3 if not 4 rounds.

they will have 90 mil.? in cap space to add free agents.

so...take a deep breath.....actually what you described above is what happened for 3 yr.s under whaley.....and russ.

edit: sorry if this has been pointed out. i didn't read through all the posts.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 minutes ago, Looper said:

We have one - give him a chance

Fairly certain he'd rather Josh Allen fail than be wrong. I am hopeful, but I don't have a lot of confidence McD has a clue about offense. Next offseason is critical in terms of putting folks around Josh to give him a chance to succeed.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Fairly certain he'd rather Josh Allen fail than be wrong. I am hopeful, but I don't have a lot of confidence McD has a clue about offense. Next offseason is critical in terms of putting folks around Josh to give him a chance to succeed.

Critical indeed - Josh needs an OL, better WRs and another RB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, Warcodered said:

Huh I didn't realize people in the front office disguised themselves as Texan players to deliver that late helmet leading hit to his elbow.

Everyone knew there was no way Allen survived this season without injury behind that offensive line. Your comment makes me believe you are very narrow minded. 

13 minutes ago, Looper said:

Critical indeed - Josh needs an OL, better WRs and another RB.

He also needs to get substantially better first and foremost. We could give him the chiefs offense and he wouldn’t succeed right now. It would help him develop but only Josh Allen can fix all the issues that he needs to fix

Edited by Rebel101

On 10/17/2018 at 6:11 AM, MAJBobby said:

And ABSOLUTELY the reason the heat on McD seat gets warmer as the season goes on rightfully so. 

His seat isn't getting any warmer this year, who says that? You? Do you think you could carry nearly 60 million in dead cap without the owner being on board? That would kinda raise some questions. You don't start that far behind everyone else and think you won't make major strides backwards.

He's only halfway through building the team. It's painful for everyone to watch but using logic instead of emotion states he'll need at least another year year to finish what he started. 

Just as you can't throw Allen to the curb yet because on this offence no rookie would win.

Look how spectacularly the right Josh played last night and he has at least some talent on offence. Can't imagine he would have turned this team around either.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, PolishDave said:

You think a few games on the bench are going to make him a decent NFL starting QB?

I don't.   I think being thrown in the deep end of the pool without a lifejacket will make him either learn to swim or drown.   Either way Bills know which direction to go after this year.   But, only if he has enough playing time.

Maybe.  Josh has looked a little lost at times.  Overwhelmed even.  

More time in the film room will help him diagnose defenses.  That'll lead to more confidence and quicker decisions.  

He shouldn't be allowed back on the field until he can make a good pre-snap read 19 times out of 20.  

I disagree.  He got some much needed game experiance.  You can see the physical ability.  Also you can see the areas he needs to work on.  At this point of the year Allen would just be playing and trying to make things happen for an offense that lacks play makers.  The injury in my estimation is a blessing.  He can watch and see what decisions Anderson makes and why.  Pick up somethings and know how to better attack when he is back in there.