Depression vs Introversion

Another Fan

My Dads currently dealing with depression at the moment.  Doesn’t want to leave the house.    Ive certainly felt elements of it but it never got to be that bad.  Sometimes I wonder though if part of it is just not wanting to deal with people.  

To to lighten the mood no this post isn’t a result of watching Peterman ?

Tough call based on your description.  A person who is introverted socially can also experience depression.  Conversely, a person who is introverted can sometimes present as being depressed when they actually are not.  You say "at the moment."  Is there anything environmentally which may have triggered a change in his behavior or mood?  Is his current state drastically different than the way he typically functions?

• Like (+1) 1

as an introvert, with some depressive bouts through the years....

introversion means you need to isolate in order to recharge your batteries. 

Choosing not to interact with others, except when you really need to recharge alone, isn't good.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Tough call based on your description.  A person who is introverted socially can also experience depression.  Conversely, a person who is introverted can sometimes present as being depressed when they actually are not.  You say "at the moment."  Is there anything environmentally which may have triggered a change in his behavior or mood?  Is his current state drastically different than the way he typically functions?

Well he needs to get surgery for his prostate. It’s not cancerous thankfully.  I think though it can be weighing on him 

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Well he needs to get surgery for his prostate. It’s not cancerous thankfully.  I think though it can be weighing on him 

There you go.  I would keep a close eye on the depressive symptoms, however, as they may persist post-surgery and may require some form of assessment/treatment.  My Father, for example, ended up experiencing depression related to ongoing complications subsequent to a very serious back surgery.  He was essentially bound to his chair/bed for several months, and his personality and mood was greatly impacted to the point that he didn't want to eat regularly or have visitors.  He ended up seeing a psychologist (reluctantly) and was prescribed a SSRI antidepressant medication which helped him a great deal.  Not saying that meds is the answer for everything, but definitely keep a close eye on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

It would greatly improve his lifestyle to have this surgery done.  It just doesn’t exactly sound like the most pleasant stuff in the world 

it's has been a great stride to stop putting us through the sheer torture of this biopsy when it wasn't remotely required

Get Him to join this Forum, bring Him to a tailgate....

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Just have it removed and stop sweating the "sex" thing.  My father had his removed @ 70.  It was cancerous.

He said: "He wasn't getting any anyway.  Take that thing out."  That was over a decade ago... He's still kicking!  LoL.

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It would greatly improve his lifestyle to have this surgery done.  It just doesn’t exactly sound like the most pleasant stuff in the world 

I'd be trying for a 2nd opinion.  Might not change anything but maybe it might make the situation easier.

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

My Dads currently dealing with depression at the moment.  Doesn’t want to leave the house.    Ive certainly felt elements of it but it never got to be that bad.  Sometimes I wonder though if part of it is just not wanting to deal with people.  

To to lighten the mood no this post isn’t a result of watching Peterman ?

Depression has nothing to do with just not wanting to deal with people.

They're two different things and if you don't have enough experience with depression to see the difference, you are lucky!

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Depression has nothing to do with just not wanting to deal with people.

They're two different things and if you don't have enough experience with depression to see the difference, you are lucky!

A common symptom of clinical depression is losing interest in social interactions, but you probably already know that because you know everything, right?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A common symptom of clinical depression is losing interest in social interactions, but you probably already know that because you know everything, right?

Whoa....

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’m sure this has to be weighing on him. I play tennis with a guy a few times a month who’s going through this. Sometimes the fear and the unknown is worse than the reality. My guy is doing fine after fretting for a long time over all the best options. Life comes to you as it is meant to. God doesn’t hand you anything you can’t handle. I’m thrilled it’s not cancerous. Best wishes. 

• Like (+1) 1