Josh Allen looks on par with this year’s other rookie QBs

Troll Toll

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What evidence do you have exactly that this isn't true? I made this argument over and over, and it's holding true, just like it does 99% of the time. Allen is faltering.

If it's true all four rookie QBs will fail.  They are all under that I believe right now.

Is it your contention they will all fail?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Tebow had a 66.4 college completion rate. 

What is is your point here? 

My point is the same as it's always been. High college completion rate is NOT an indicator of NFL success. Poor college completion rate IS an indication of NFL failure.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

If it's true all four rookie QBs will fail.  They are all under that I believe right now.

Is it your contention they will all fail?

See above

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

My point is the same as it's always been. High college completion rate is NOT an indicator of NFL success. Poor college completion rate IS an indication of NFL failure.

Thats cool, I’m still standing in the give Josh some time and he’s gonna be a stud corner 

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Thats cool, I’m still standing in the give Josh some time and he’s gonna be a stud corner 

That's fine. It's not impossible. 2 QBs have done it with Allen-like issues (Favre and Moon). I'm not mortgaging the house for that bet.

For the record, I hope he turns it around, because the Bills obviously felt differently than I did when they burned the ships.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You sure about that?

100% positive. Backed up by the stats of every good- HOF QB over the last 40 years. Favre and Moon were the only two I found that defied the trend. I think there's one more but I forget. It's absolutely lopsided enough to be a major red flag during drafting.

Edited by BullBuchanan

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

See above

You realize if a guy throws 40 times a game (not far fetched for the college game) the difference between 60% and 56% is one pass, right?  And that could be like one dropped ball.  And statistically that's not really different.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You realize if a guy throws 40 times a game (not far fetched for the college game) the difference between 60% and 56% is one pass, right?  And that could be like one dropped ball.  And statistically that's not really different.

That may be the case, but check the numbers. You can search anyone you want here for their college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jared-goff-1.html

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Raw stats like that are less than worthless. If you put Allen on the Browns with Jackson and Haley and Landry and that line he would be doing far better, and if you put Mayfield with McD and Daboll and Culley and Benjamin and Zay he would be doing much worse. And I have watched every play of his and he is no better than Allen. 

Yes he is - way better and 5 years from now will still be way better. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not to mention that one WR screen counts as a completion when it is 95% complete for the best and the worst QBs, and some teams throw a lot and some teams don't. Allen threw downfield ALL the time last year. Didnt throw many screens or dump offs or bubble screens or five-yard outs. All a large factor in completion %.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

100% positive. Backed up by the stats of every good- HOF QB over the last 40 years. Favre and Moon were the only two I found that defied the trend.

Well then you missed a few key guys:

Matthew Stafford had a college completion rate of 57%

Matt Ryan was 59.9%

Carson Palmer was 59.1%

Drew Brees--the most accurate NFL passer of all time--was 61.1%

Russell Wilson was 60.1%, and that's only because he had an ultra-efficient senior season of 72% passing; in his first 3 seasons as a starter, he was 57%

Eli Manning was 60.8%

There's other guys that have had huge improvements in the pros too.  Josh McCown has been in the NFL for 15 seasons, and just had his most efficient season as a passer in 2017--he completed over 67% of his passes.  He was a 51% passer in college.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Well then you missed a few key guys:

Matthew Stafford had a college completion rate of 57%

Matt Ryan was 59.9%

Carson Palmer was 59.1%

Drew Brees--the most accurate NFL passer of all time--was 61.1%

Russell Wilson was 60.1%, and that's only because he had an ultra-efficient senior season of 72% passing; in his first 3 seasons as a starter, he was 57%

Eli Manning was 60.8%

There's other guys that have had huge improvements in the pros too.  Josh McCown has been in the NFL for 15 seasons, and just had his most efficient season as a passer in 2017--he completed over 67% of his passes.  He was a 51% passer in college.

This post kind of proves my point. Allen was 56.2 lower than everyone there by a lot.

I've said before that statistics are thrown around inappropriately in sports, especially football.  There are so many dependent and independent variables to throw into a proper analysis that simply looking at one number  such as completion percentage rarely can be correlated to much of anything.