How much blame does Daboll deserve?

46 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

I'd give Daboll the same 2 years I am willing to give Allen.  It takes time to develop an offense just as it takes time for a QB to develop.  In 2019 with more talent on the team I feel we will get a more definitive answer on "do they suck". 

He will get two years because HC McD should NOT get another Crack at a OC. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This

He was going to be the patriots next  OC when McDaniels was supposed to go to the colts. He certainly didn't suck when he was with Alabama and the Patriots. But somehow he is an idiot when he was/is on no talent teams like the Browns and Bills. We were excited about him when reading about his offense but now hes a bum. 

I haven't agreed with all his calls but I believe he will much better when we redo the weapons.

You mean like the last two weeks??

Remember, when the Bills lose its "fire everybody now!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

The game plan vs Houston is an EASY win with any NFL caliber backup at the helm.

The Bills game plan is pretty clear... Strong defense + conservative offense.  But I guess it is his fault for not having Peterman just take a knee for the final few series of the game.

the talent on o is garbage, but the coaching isn't great either (it's actually terrible).

i can dig that some of his schemes and play calls sometimes work, and could work, but pre snap penalties, not being lined up right, holding removing big plays, all of that is on coaches.  we really should be 3-3, and given our putrid start that's woulda been pretty good, so we shouldn't can anyone yet, but we need to show some improvement.

i think indy stinks, and we should have a shot at winning that, but w our qbs i really don't know if we can pull it off.  i hope the monday nighter vs the pats gets cancelled, but somehow i think it has to happen.

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't buy that.  Proper scheming can mask talent deficiencies.  

Daboll doesn't even try.

Proper scheming can maximise the talent. I think Daboll might be maximising this talent (or at least close to it). The talent sucks. He has an offensive line of cast offs, a wide receiver group of 1 has been and a load of never will bes and a rag bag of tight ends beyond Charles Clay and his one good knee. Sean McVay wouldn't be able to make a productive offense out of this lot. They are hopeless.

1 hour ago, ricojes said:

Must be a complicated system.  For an offense that only produces about 10 points per game, there sure is a lot of confusion on where to line up. 

...remember when Al Saunders was OC for KC?.......Deadskins hired him and he showed up with a 700 PAGE playbook......then on to the Raiders.......with his 700 PAGES........now there's some real value in complexity.............

Al Saunders Is New Raiders OC: Will His 700-Page Playbook Help or Hurt Oakland?

Keff Ciardello-2/04/2011

7 minutes ago, colin said:

the talent on o is garbage, but the coaching isn't great either (it's actually terrible).

i can dig that some of his schemes and play calls sometimes work, and could work, but pre snap penalties, not being lined up right, holding removing big plays, all of that is on coaches.  we really should be 3-3, and given our putrid start that's woulda been pretty good, so we shouldn't can anyone yet, but we need to show some improvement.

I agree with that Colin - we should be careful to distinguish "scheme" from "coaching." The coaching particularly at wide receiver and offensive line needs to improve but the players are so below par that even great coaches aren't going to make stars out of them.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll be fair to him. He has nothing to work with, and many of his position coaches are either out of position, or never played the game at the NFL level. On the other hand, a better OC would get the most out of what little he has to work with.

Edited by BmarvB

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't buy that.  Proper scheming can mask talent deficiencies.  

Daboll doesn't even try.

...and adjusting your vaunted scheme to fit the "personnel you have to work with" is what GOOD coaches do......incoming Schwartz adjusted HIS scheme to fit the personnel he "had to work with" and I don't think the results were too bad (COUGH)........circa Top 5 defense................

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Proper scheming can maximise the talent. I think Daboll might be maximising this talent (or at least close to it). The talent sucks. He has an offensive line of cast offs, a wide receiver group of 1 has been and a load of never will bes and a rag bag of tight ends beyond Charles Clay and his one good knee. Sean McVay wouldn't be able to make a productive offense out of this lot. They are hopeless.

The reason I don't believe this is because it's Brian Daboll.  He isn't Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan.  Add him to the list of mediocre Bills offensive coordinators.

His usage, or lack thereof, of Shady all but confirms my suspicions.

7 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

In his previous stints as coordinator haven't all his offense's ranked last in the league?

This year it's the same story as the Bills rank dead last in offense. 

Do you think it could be the case that he's the main problem and that we need a better coordinator?

Thoughts?

It's really hard for me to tell.

Yes, Daboll in his previous stints as an NFL OC was NOT impressive.  But people do grow and learn.

I see good things and bad things. 

-He doesn't have much talent to work with

-Others have done more with the same or less - see Gailey, Chan for example

-He has more often been successful at getting his 'meh' WR corps open than people who aren't watching film film film realize because they are missed by the QB(s)

-Other OCs have done a much better job at using a rookie QB as a "game manager" and having them pass selectively and strategically, not expecting them to do too much

-He doesn't seem to be getting good coaching from his assistants (on other teams, the WR would be scared to come back to the sidelines after some of those routes)

-Some of his run blocking schemes have shown good creativity - Cover1 had a good article about what worked and why vs. Tenn

-That said, he has been slow to move away from blocking schemes, pass and run, that were failing time after time through the first 4 games

-He may be overly influenced by what QBs 'show and tell' in the QB room and offensive film sessions, which is night-and-day different from what they can execute on field (unless things are sicker and more dysfunctional than we thought in B'lo, he must have bought off on the notion of trading AJM and starting Peterman)

I give him a grade of "incomplete" at this point.

I am not sure its fair to put this on him, the QB's have not executed at all no matter what the call is.  I do blame the coaches for concluding Peterman was the starter and McCarron was expendable.  And Allen was ready when he was not.

However one area where the Bills are close to the bottom in the league is holding, illegal formation and false starts.  I think this is coaching, especially illegal formation.  They need to get that crap cleaned up ASAP.

Edited by mattynh

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We'll have to disagree here.   They aren't good, but from what I've seen he's been very slow to figure out what they can do well and utilize them to best advantage.