How much blame does Daboll deserve?

He deserves a lot of blame, expecting an extremely raw QB lead an aerial attack is naive. This offense should be predicated on pounding the football with Allen occasionally airing it out to keep defenses honest. 

Shady is also being completely misused, guy should be used much more strategically than what he has. Murphy and Ivory should be in on 1st and 2nd down, not Shady. You put Shady in within the 20 and crucial 3rd down situations where we need to convert. Also, there is no creativity in run designs, it's like we're still in the preseason. Daboll wants to throw all the time when he should be trying to pound the ball.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The main problem is a lack of talent. 

This

He was going to be the patriots next  OC when McDaniels was supposed to go to the colts. He certainly didn't suck when he was with Alabama and the Patriots. But somehow he is an idiot when he was/is on no talent teams like the Browns and Bills. We were excited about him when reading about his offense but now hes a bum. 

I haven't agreed with all his calls but I believe he will much better when we redo the weapons.

30 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He deserves a lot of blame, expecting an extremely raw QB lead an aerial attack is naive. This offense should be predicated on pounding the football with Allen occasionally airing it out to keep defenses honest. 

Shady is also being completely misused, guy should be used much more strategically than what he has. Murphy and Ivory should be in on 1st and 2nd down, not Shady. You put Shady in within the 20 and crucial 3rd down situations where we need to convert. Also, there is no creativity in run designs, it's like we're still in the preseason. Daboll wants to throw all the time when he should be trying to pound the ball.

You mean like the last two weeks??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While not wishing to make Daboll blameless, it would be nice to see what he could do with both better talent, and more of his 'own' staff, as opposed to inheriting what was left.

In certain respects, he reminds me of Gailey, in that if the game plan is the right one, things look ok, but if it isn't, then plan B doesn't happen in a hurry, and the O looks awful. I would say that on current evidence, Gailey got the gameplan right, at a greater frequency though.

I'm also not too sure about what happened with McCarron, to make Beane take a 5th round pick for him. Was Daboll much involved in that decision? Because if he's not, then he's only working with what he's been given, and other than future promise (and Shady), it isn't a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He certainly didn't suck when he was with Alabama and the Patriots.

Is is even possible to suck as the OC for the Pats or Alabama? He lasted 2 years in Cleveland, 1 year in Miami, 1 year in Kansas City, and 1 year in New England before he was demoted to TE coach. Four teams in five years certainly doesn't sound like success. Talent still may be the biggest issue, but Daboll isn't helping the cause.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Ok. I say we need to run more often and more effectively. What do you disagree with exactly?

It has been difficult for Daboll to stick with the run in games where we have been down early. On Sunday he did a nice job of it even when we were in a 10 point hole. However, as for running effectively.... I don't put that on Daboll in a playcalling sense. It's on execution. The execution has been awful. Our average per rush must be one of the worst in the league. It's at least 75% talent. Scheme plays a relatively small part comparatively. 

And I think your post above suggests more Marcus Murphy and less LeSean McCoy.  The only think that is an answer to is "how can we become even more hopeless?"

I don't think he and his unit coaches are on the same page tactically or strategically.  You have a junior OC and veteran unit coaches and I can see communication problems there.  You can have all the blue chip talent in the world but if you have a coach who is having a difficult time teaching the vision and design of the offense to your line, you'll have trouble on Sundays no matter who the personnel is on the field.  

Regardless of the outcome of the season, I expect the OC to remain and he will get to pick new OL and WR coaches for 2019.  

Daboll isn’t blameless in this scenario but his hands are tied more than any coach that I can remember. They handed him an expired can of spam, brussell sprouts, a match and asked him to go win a James Beard award. While others may make a better spam and sprouts dinner it’s still going to suck. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

What aerial attack????  Everything they do is so vanilla and lacking creativity he deserves a whole lot.  

However it is more so on the Coach & HO that refused to  help the offense in any way and continues to think this is the 80's and that D and field position is all that matters.  

5 hours ago, RosenNOTchosen1 said:

In his previous stints as coordinator haven't all his offense's ranked last in the league?

This year it's the same story as the Bills rank dead last in offense. 

Do you think it could be the case that he's the main problem and that we need a better coordinator?

Thoughts?

Daboll deserves blame, Beane deserves blame, McDermott deserves blame for what is going on with the Offense 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

Is is even possible to suck as the OC for the Pats or Alabama? He lasted 2 years in Cleveland, 1 year in Miami, 1 year in Kansas City, and 1 year in New England before he was demoted to TE coach. Four teams in five years certainly doesn't sound like success. Talent still may be the biggest issue, but Daboll isn't helping the cause.

And one that when he left Bama went from a 190 AVG passing team to over 340 avg passing team with an explosive passing offense 

With the erratic QB's that Bean is providing on the roster, I think Daboll has done fine.  I mean....3 QB's in camp...trade one at last minute, leaving two rookies essentially.  then in Oct adding a vet.  Vet should have been added in camp.  We would be better off with McCarron to play this sunday.  and D- for Bean.....a B for Daboll.

I'd give Daboll the same 2 years I am willing to give Allen.  It takes time to develop an offense just as it takes time for a QB to develop.  In 2019 with more talent on the team I feel we will get a more definitive answer on "do they suck". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1