What positions would you draft? Forget about free agency for now

SJDK

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully, BBG, and it has been talked about ad naseum (by me :lol:) in other threads on this board, there just aren't going to be any quality OLmen available in FA.  Even if they look like they will be available now, NOBODY is going to let the good ones get away.

I disagree, I don't think the Rams will be able to pay all of their FA (Suh, Joyner, Saffold) , Saffold would be an excellent addition to our interior OL even at his age. C Matt Paradis hasn't been resigned by the Broncos yet which to me is the best OL of their group, he's extremely underrated and the Titans have alot of money invested in the OL with Conklins contract coming up in a year or 2 and Lewan signed a pretty large contract also so OG Spain should become available and could really solidify the right side of the OL but yeah you never know if any will be available by FA.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I disagree, I don't think the Rams will be able to pay all of their FA (Suh, Joyner, Saffold) , Saffold would be an excellent addition to our interior OL even at his age. C Matt Paradis hasn't been resigned by the Broncos yet which to me is the best OL of their group, he's extremely underrated and the Titans have alot of money invested in the OL with Conklins contract coming up in a year or 2 and Lewan signed a pretty large contract also so OG Spain should become available and could really solidify the right side of the OL but yeah you never know if any will be available by FA.

I hope you are right.

The quickest way to having to terrible drafts is to set your mind on drafting a specific position in a specific round. Draft the best football players possible. We don’t have a lot of talent so whatever you draft is going to be a need anyway.

1st pick would be BPA, looks like a top 10 and possibly a top 5 so I can't say but I'm not going to say "I'd take a WR no matter what"  If a WR isn't the best player, i'm not taking him.   

If Bosa slid to us, you have to take him, same with Oliver.    

Positions I would address with picks in the first 3 rounds:

OL/WR/CB

We need a corner opposite White, we need a center who can get a push, and we need a WR who can get separation.    The other thing I would do is package those picks in later rounds and jump back into the 2nd and 3rd round and snag more top level players.    We don't need 10 rookies, we need 4-5 starters.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

I would prioritize WR in round 1 and 3. Rounds 2 and 4 to the Oline, BPA for remaining picks.

This is mainly due to the fact that the free agent class has more OL available, and not much in terms of WR.

Was about to post OL, WR for my first two, but looking at the draft there is definitely more OL depth of talent. The only issue is aren't AJ and other WRs being graded as round 2 players? I'd address this with the first or second pick, but let's not feel like we're reaching again here. 

To OP's post, I'd prioritize interior line over tackle - get some guards who may be able to transition to Center if we can't get a vet OL to anchor our line in the middle next year. Then we can address tackle opposite Dawkins. 

I'd try and draft another WR if the position talent is there for the pick, and go RB/DB with later picks. 

I hope we can retain J Phillips and maybe get some more DLine help in FA so keeping our picks all offensive beyond the obligatory DB you should take every year in the 4-7 rounds.

The problem is WRs generally take a year or two to adjust to the NFL.   We can't expect a rookie WR to come in and be our #1, and to help out Allen, it's not realistic.    I'm hoping we get at least 2 WRs in free agency and I know we aren't supposed to be discussing FA in this thread but if people stake their hopes on a WR turning things around they'll be just as disappointed as when we drafted Watkins.  

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

He is not going back to O state either:

Also, sorry you have to go BPA and this is a great pass rushing draft, which is great and awful at the same time given our needs

unfortunately for Bills, the 49ers are on track for the #1 pick and this might be it

Just now, Tsaikotic said:

if Giants are in top 5 again they better go with QB or they might get fried by the fans

As they should be. Should have taken any of the 3 after Mayfield. Don't matter how good Barkley is, if you have no QB. As Bills fans we have experience with this...

I'd like to play, but your draft depends on your FA signings. If we don't sign anyone... OL first two picks. It's not conventional but good OL are way overpriced in FA and the rest were allowed to walk for a reason. Good WRs can be had in FA and have a better ROI if you do your homework.

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I don't follow college football but doesn't this WR have the QB Drew Lock throwing to him? That QB apparently may rise quickly on the boards........perhaps it's him who makes the WR great, perhaps it's the WR vice-versa.......take them both! We have picks to do so. 

Did Joe Montana make Jerry Rice great or did Jerry Rice make Joe Montana great?  Maybe they are both great.

13 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Eli Manning? 

He's as old as dirt.   The league isn't even close to what it was when he started.   

Today's league is engineered for a qb to succeed. If you can't pass for 100 yards in multiple games, you don't belong here. 

Just look at Allen's stats from week two til now.   It's gotten worse every week.  Every week he looks worse and worse.   He's incapable of doing simple things you'd expect a 1st rounder to do, that you MOVED UP FOR in the draft. 

I'll use Peterman for example.  He came off the bench and went 4/6 for 40+ yards and a TD against Houston. If the supporting cast was issue for Allen, it would have been for Peterman.  It wasn't. 

Aside from Petermans terrible interceptions,  he's looked way better than Allen. 

Eli is still playing. Yes there have been changes, but no, most of the rules protecting QBs were already there. How much has average yards per attempt gone up since that year? In Eli's rookie year, QBs averaged 7.1 yards per attempt. Last year ... oh, oops, 7.0.

You're trying to pull the old trick of squeezing the sample size to eliminate outliers. And yeah, squeeze it down to a year or three and you'll eliminate the other examples but you'll also make your whole (dumb) statement even less interesting. "There has never been a QB to do that - not once -  in the whole entire storied history of the NFL's ... um ... last three years." Weak, extremely weak, same as comparing him to a QB with 79 career passes and thinking it means anything.

Again, thinking you know something this early says more about your poor reasoning processes than it does about Allen.