What do the Bills need to do on Offense schematically? (stats included)

While becoming increasingly frustrated with the approach on offense. I have wondered for years (since Chan Gailey) why the Bills do not run simple passing patterns that would likely increase completion percentage, limit three and outs, and help sustain drives. Is it easier to throw judge a throw on 20+ yard go route to the boundary where the QB must judge distance and time leading the receiver as opposed to completing shallow crossing routes where the QB again has to judge how far to lead the WR to keep them in stride. I think the cross pattern also represents a route that the receiver has a higher likelihood of winning against a defender. However this would also required a higher level of smarts for both the QB and receiver knowing when to continue a pattern or sit in a hole in the zone. 

I took a look at the stats through week six (minus the GB/Niners game), and wanted to see how the passing yards per game and points per game were related to the percentage of passing yards that were yards after catch (YAC). Much to my surprise,  only 2 of the top 16 scoring teams were in the top 10 of yards after catch percentage (Saints and Lions). Moreover, when looking at 10 teams with the highest YAC%, (table below) only one was in the top 12 in scoring (again the Saints). 

Team                               Scoring Rank    YAC Percentage
San Francisco 49ers       17                     64%
Tennessee Titans            30                     59%
New York Giants              27                     58%
Buffalo Bills                      32                     56%
Green Bay Packers          19                     54%
Detroit Lions                     14                     54%
Oakland Raiders               28                     52%
New Orleans Saints           1                     52%
Philadelphia Eagles          20                    50%
Jacksonville Jaguars        29                   48%

So I was thinking I must have been wrong and throwing the ball downfield leads to points, but I honestly don't think the Bills have the WR's to win matchups or the O-line to protect long enough, which means it has to come down to scheme. Play to what little strengths our WRs have and take advantage of matchups. That means pre-snap motion to help Allen determine coverages, Shady motioned out to line up against a LB. All of the stuff most of the top scoring teams do today. I looked back at the Bills offensive coaches, and there doesnt appear to be much there from a creativity standpoint, but on Daboll's first stint with the Patriots when Brady was being brough along slowly and they were winning with Defense he was the WR coach. That team was defunct of WR talent and whole solely off scheme and matchup principles. David Patten, Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deion Branch never had a 1000 yard season from 2002-04. Christian Fauria was the TE. Can he go back and find re-use any of this stuff or has the game changed too much since?

I still believe short passes that lend themselves to YAC would help this team with field position and sustaining drives, but I'm interested to know what the rest of you guys think is the best approach. I'd prefer this not end up being a Fire Daboll, Sign real WRs, etc list. If you were the new offensive consultant for the Bills what would you do with the existing roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

The CBs play such loose coverage on Allen. They're 10 yards back from the line of scrimmage. I have no idea why Allen isn't throwing the outs, or just to the flat.

Not for nothing but I doubt he is calling audibles and just running what is sent in from the booth.  Other than the first miss-fire to clay in think the slants were good for him yesterday.  Should have called more IMO.

Just now, Paulus said:

The CBs play such loose coverage on Allen. They're 10 yards back from the line of scrimmage. I have no idea why Allen isn't throwing the outs, or just to the flat.

This was a staple of the Patriots of early years. I distinctly recall everytime Kevin Faulk motioned and lined up outside he got a 10 yard cushion (that he didn't deserve) which meant a automatic 7-8 yard completion.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

The Buffalo Bills need to tank the rest of the season for a high draft pick in 2019.  Otherwise it will be:

8-8 forever!

:thumbdown:

So as the newly hired offensive consultant that's your recommendation? Thanks for the constructive feedback.

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Not for nothing but I doubt he is calling audibles and just running what is sent in from the booth.  Other than the first miss-fire to clay in think the slants were good for him yesterday.  Should have called more IMO.

Ya slant, crossing routes, scenes good vs that defense play.  

54 minutes ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

They could try kneeling 3 times and punting, and hope the defense scores on turnovers. Although that's not much different than what they've been doing...?

Heck if Peterman starting i'd run the ball whole game until per say 2 last minutes warning key third down for it. But run the ball every time even on third down if he's in.