CJ Beathard only has 3 more career starts than Josh Allen

5 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

You know what's the most comical? The very people who are miserably envious of what Beathard did tonight in GB would be pissing on his front yard if, as a Bills QB, he threw that pressure-soaked pick to give the Pack the ball back with 90 seconds left in a tie game.Then they'd shake it off and head over to the coaches' houses for not calling a better play to counter the pressure. Then they'd go to Pegula's house to piss in his yard just for good measure.

Nope. Not at all. 

I'd be fine with a rookie/2nd year QB who puts up 250 & 2 TDs in a shootout with an all-time great QB and throws a late INT.

1 minute ago, twoandfourteen said:

Nope. Not at all. 

I'd be fine with a rookie/2nd year QB who puts up 250 & 2 TDs in a shootout with an all-time great QB and throws a late INT.

No you wouldn't.  That's crap.  You and many others here would be screaming about the pick.  Admit it.

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yet the 49'ers believe in Jimmy Garoppolo.

Which should show you just how far behind the Bills actually are. 

The 49ers have a young QB they drafted in the 3rd round that is currently miles ahead of where the Bills 7th overall pick is -- and the 49ers still made a move to get even better at the position. 

7 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

You just summed up the fanbase perfectly. almost everyone KNEW this was going to be a rough year (5-7 wins) and when it's going exactly how everyone thought it would before the season started people start freaking out. Everyone KNEW JA was a project and after 4 games of not throwing for 300+ and making some rookie mistakes he is the worst QB and the GM and coach need to go. 

For Allen, it's 4 games of 513 total yards passing and 1 TD.

For the GM & coach, it's their abject mismanagement of the most important position in professional sports. 

You're a fool if you think this reaction is based solely on CJ Beathard's performance. 

2 hours ago, The Process said:

Regularly failing? Wow....talk about impatience.....that's like drinking 5 slim fast drinks and expecting to lose 5 pounds.....

3 of his 6 appearances have been under 100 yards passing. I would say that qualifies as "regularly". 

You are arguing semantics. 

You obviously don't have a legitimate point. 

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No you wouldn't.  That's crap.  You and many others here would be screaming about the pick.  Admit it.

Nope. I wouldn't. I would expect a rookie in his 8th start to make a rookie mistake late. 

It would suck, but there were plenty of other great plays that he did make to walk away with optimism for the future. 

With the Bills, there are very, very few plays which give me a sense of optimism -- and far, far more plays which are evidence that this project is trending towards failure. 

12 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Which should show you just how far behind the Bills actually are. 

The 49ers have a young QB they drafted in the 3rd round that is currently miles ahead of where the Bills 7th overall pick is -- and the 49ers still made a move to get even better at the position. 

For Allen, it's 4 games of 513 total yards passing and 1 TD.

For the GM & coach, it's their abject mismanagement of the most important position in professional sports. 

You're a fool if you think this reaction is based solely on CJ Beathard's performance. 

3 of his 6 appearances have been under 100 yards passing. I would say that qualifies as "regularly". 

You are arguing semantics. 

You obviously don't have a legitimate point. 

Well the title of the post cites CJ Bethards performance so how exactly am I foolish for thinking this post wasn't based on his performance?

6 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Nope. I wouldn't. I would expect a rookie in his 8th start to make a rookie mistake late. 

It would suck, but there were plenty of other great plays that he did make to walk away with optimism for the future. 

With the Bills, there are very, very few plays which give me a sense of optimism -- and far, far more plays which are evidence that this project is trending towards failure. 

Look at my post from yesterday.  I looked at every throw Allen made in the first half.  He is making progress.  

Just now, Jeetz1231 said:

Well the title of the post cites CJ Bethards performance so how exactly am I foolish for thinking this post wasn't based on his performance?

It is -- but also within the context of Josh Allen's lack of performance and the mismanagement of the position. 

I would deserve to be called an idiot if I created this post and Josh Allen had two or three games here where he was in command of the offense -- making a couple of big throws, maybe even producing 200 passing yards in a single game. 

People are relying on the "it takes time" excuse for Allen. I agree -- but I also think that it's important to track where he is in relation to other young QBs. A 7th overall pick shouldn't be this far behind a 3rd round backup. 

The Bills have a historically bad passing offense in a league where 200 yards is practically given to you due to the new rules favoring offense.  

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Look at my post from yesterday.  I looked at every throw Allen made in the first half.  He is making progress.  

What about the throws he didn't make? There were numerous times Allen had wide open targets and tucked the ball to run, go check out Cover 1. Allen also struggled to stay in clean pockets, I can think of two plays where he had to just step with the protection and instead panicked and ran into sacks. I'd love to know what progress you saw.

2 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

What about the throws he didn't make? There were numerous times Allen had wide open targets and tucked the ball to run, go check out Cover 1. Allen also struggled to stay in clean pockets, I can think of two plays where he had to just step with the protection and instead panicked and ran into sacks. I'd love to know what progress you saw.

Look at what I wrote then.  And the claim there were numerous times he had wide open receivers is invalid. 

He is progressing.  He made some mistakes.  That's what rookie Qbs do.

2 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

It is -- but also within the context of Josh Allen's lack of performance and the mismanagement of the position. 

I would deserve to be called an idiot if I created this post and Josh Allen had two or three games here where he was in command of the offense -- making a couple of big throws, maybe even producing 200 passing yards in a single game. 

People are relying on the "it takes time" excuse for Allen. I agree -- but I also think that it's important to track where he is in relation to other young QBs. A 7th overall pick shouldn't be this far behind a 3rd round backup. 

The Bills have a historically bad passing offense in a league where 200 yards is practically given to you due to the new rules favoring offense.  

The situations are so completely different that your comparison makes absolutely no sense.  But here are a few additional facts for you:

- CJ Beathard is 1/8 in games he has started, including 1/5 last year and 0/3 this year.  Funny how they win with Garrappolo and not Beathard.

- His completion % last year was 54.9% with 4 TDs and 6 INTs; sounds like a bit of a rough start, no?

- His numbers are better this year - 6TDs and 5 INTs and completion % of 64%.  Gee, maybe a full year in the league helped him some.  Maybe his WRs are too for that matter.  Still, that TD/INT ration is going to lead to losses.

- Still can't win, but does throw for yards, which is of course is the most important thing in evaluating young QBs.

- CJ Beathard is on his way to hitting his ceiling as a decent career backup, although he is not there yet.

Stats can tell any story you want to make up to fit the stats.  Your comparison is BS, because the situations and players are not comparable.  Next year, maybe.

13 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Look at his stats from his rookie year. 

That is what really is troubling.

CJB was competent out of the box. Meanwhile, JA has a lot of trouble executing a basic NFL passing play. 

Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen -- all of them have at least exhibited the ability to produce respectable passing production at this early stage in their careers. 200 yards seems impossible right now for Josh Allen.

People forget dropped passes and schemes too easily...

Also in shootout type of games, offenses get the ball more than in ball control type games

And I wonder for my sanity why I even bother. You don't judge a player like Allen in 5 games.

Edit: watching the game last night, I was something shocked at how wide some receivers were opened. On both teams. For the Cheatriots too on SNF too. And I recall slow guys like O'Reilly being wide open at times and other receivers too. Why? SCHEMES, the overall playcalling.

Edited by Jerome007

11 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I looked up the stats today.  Allen through 6 weeks (a little over 5 games of action) has very comparable numbers to Goff's 7 or so games his rookie year.  It gives me hope.  Goff looked flat out scared to paly his rookie season.  Allen doesn't look good but he doesn't look like hes scared for his life.  Just hesitant.

What's the difference between Goff and Josh Allen though. 

One looked great in college in a real conference. The other played in a garbage conference and looked awful. One is teamed up with the best offensive mind in a generation and one is teamed up with a good defensive coach. One is accurate. The other is anything but. 

I know we're fans and we're hoping beyond hope but let's not set ourselves up for anymore pain than we have to. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Why is anyone even talking about the pick Beathard threw??  It came on 3d and 3 from midfield and after the int the Packers had the ball at their own 7 yard line.  It was the equivalent of an excellent punt.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Also in shootout type of games, offenses get the ball more than in ball control type games

every time two QBs in the top half of the NFL meet it's a shootout type of game, that's the way the NFL has been heading for 40 years now.

last year's SB, which most considered a masterpiece, gave us one decent defensive stop the entire game