CJ Beathard only has 3 more career starts than Josh Allen

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The WGR radio guys (minus John Murphy) are all forward thinking football fans. 

None of them wanted Allen before we picked him, and they all already know this is going to end badly. 

This was the first week they got really critical of him. There were a lot of calls for them to put Allen on the bench for a month and let him learn, because he's obviously not learning anything on the field otherwise he'd show signs of improvement on the field. 

Guys like Allen never work out in the NFL. I don't know what we're hoping for but it's overwhelmingly likely it's not going to happen. 

Sub 60% completion percentage + Small School = Red Flag

at least Rosen, Darnald, and Mayfield played against high level college competition. It was such a Bills move. And still people will justify it. 

Some of us have been fans enough to remember ill advised picks like JP Losman and EJ Manuel. I hope he works out. But I could see him getting beat out by a veteran next year and him fading away into obscurity like EJ if this keeps up 

Edited by unclepete
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The WGR radio guys (minus John Murphy) are all forward thinking football fans. 

None of them wanted Allen before we picked him, and they all already know this is going to end badly. 

This was the first week they got really critical of him. There were a lot of calls for them to put Allen on the bench for a month and let him learn, because he's obviously not learning anything on the field otherwise he'd show signs of improvement on the field. 

Guys like Allen never work out in the NFL. I don't know what we're hoping for but it's overwhelmingly likely it's not going to happen. 

Among other things that this FO has done, it's concerning how hook line and sinker this regime fell for him. 

They ended the drought, but this season is a slog and so it's going to be an offseason where they need to hit a home run. 

This team is scoring 12.7 ppg right now. 

2 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Scheme is a big deal. Play calling is huge.  I really think this is more the difference then anything.

See Jared Goff

Goff was an elite college QB with high end production.

Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West Conference. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo.  I'm also curious as to why people seem to discount the enormous difference a year can make in a QB's development? 

Goff had talent in college as a passer.  Allen had arm strength and mobility everything else was suspect

has there ever been a college QB who was a "project" with accuracy, footwork, reading defenses that just one day got nfl good?

1 minute ago, BuffaloSkills said:

Goff had talent in college as a passer.  Allen had arm strength and mobility everything else was suspect

Honestly, most scouts still had him as top 10.  He’s tough as nails and has a great work ethic.  

Can’t we just give him more than 5 games before making all kinds of conclusions?

Just now, Success said:

Honestly, most scouts still had him as top 10.  He’s tough as nails and has a great work ethic.  

Can’t we just give him more than 5 games before making all kinds of conclusions?

yes.  absolutely.  just not seeing signs of hope at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo.  I'm also curious as to why people seem to discount the enormous difference a year can make in a QB's development? 

That's why you'd like to hold onto Nate Peterman and see how he progresses with more playing time, right?

He and Josh Allen have both played 5 games now.  

A year can make an enormous difference in a QB's development.

15 minutes ago, Success said:

Any reason why that doesn't apply to Nate Peterman?

12 hours ago, BobDVA said:

If Jesus was on the Bills, the trolls here would want to trade him for taking too long between the crucifixion and the resurrection. 

Jesus was a 155 pound pacifist with lead feet.  Anyone with NFL speed would never have been caught by the Romans in the first place.  Even if he Stevie Johnson jukes his way to some separation how the hell is he going to catch the ball with nails in his hands? Do you even watch football?

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 4

Jared Goff and Matthew Stafford were both dumpster fires their rookie years with numbers that look very similar, if not worse, to what Allen is putting up.  In fact, I remember thinking there was no way Goff would develop into a decent QB because he had such a poor pocket presence in year 1.  Drew Brees’ numbers were still really weak in year 3 with the Chargers (57 pct comp pct, 11 TD, 15 INT, 67 QBR). He didn’t break out until his 4th year. 

Here is the NFL.com link to the stats of Rookie QB’s by year.  There is little discernible correlation between rookie and long term success.  Based on their numbers, RGIII, Mike Glennon, and Zach Mettenberger would have looked like potential Top 15 QB’s in the NFL for a long time...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

i think history would show that a team has to be willing to invest the time with a QB - certainly beyond one year - to come to any real conclusions.  At the very least, rookie numbers don’t tell us much of anything. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

It’s like people don’t understand coaches exists. Play designs, schemes. Give Shanahan Allen’s mobility and Arm strength he would be salivating. The game is all schemes, have an elite scheme and these soft rules and production is easy, even with minimal talent 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

Jared Goff and Matthew Stafford were both dumpster fires their rookie years with numbers that look very similar, if not worse, to what Allen is putting up.  In fact, I remember thinking there was no way Goff would develop into a decent QB because he had such a poor pocket presence in year 1.  Drew Brees’ numbers were still really weak in year 3 with the Chargers (57 pct comp pct, 11 TD, 15 INT, 67 QBR). He didn’t break out until his 4th year. 

Here is the NFL.com link to the stats of Rookie QB’s by year.  There is little discernible correlation between rookie and long term success.  Based on their numbers, RGIII, Mike Glennon, and Zach Mettenberger would have looked like potential Top 15 QB’s in the NFL for a long time...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

i think history would show that a team has to be willing to invest the time with a QB - certainly beyond one year - to come to any real conclusions.  At the very least, rookie numbers don’t tell us much of anything. 

I looked up the stats today.  Allen through 6 weeks (a little over 5 games of action) has very comparable numbers to Goff's 7 or so games his rookie year.  It gives me hope.  Goff looked flat out scared to paly his rookie season.  Allen doesn't look good but he doesn't look like hes scared for his life.  Just hesitant.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, twoandfourteen said:

Check his career game log:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeatC.00/gamelog/

Only one time has this kid been under 200 yards passing in a game. Looks like a star in the making tonight on MNF.

Meanwhile, Josh Allen is regularly failing to break 100 yards in a game.

Beathard looked competent as a rookie last season with a group of no-name receivers, too. 

Only 3 more career starts. Allen needs to get really good, really quickly. 

Yet the 49'ers believe in Jimmy Garoppolo.

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Jesus was a 155 pound pacifist with lead feet.  Anyone with NFL speed would never have been caught by the Romans in the first place.  Even if he Stevie Johnson jukes his way to some separation how the hell is he going to catch the ball with nails in his heads? Do you even watch football?

Lead feet yet he walked on water, with nails in his hands he could spike the ball when he caught it not after, he could even cure you, remember the leper thing?

• Haha (+1) 1