CJ Beathard only has 3 more career starts than Josh Allen

Hold on now ... let's not get carried away. CJ Beathard was really bad for most of last year. And he finished it with a 69.2 QB rating. And we know it wasn't all about "no talent around him on the offense" because as soon as Jimmy G. took over the offense was almost ridiculously better. But I do get the point: CJ Beathard was ordinary "rookie bad" last year. Our guys - Peterman, Allen - have been a special kind of awful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Allen should have never been a first round pick.

I want him to be good but it doesn't look that way.  everyone comparing manning, Kelly, Elway rookie struggles to Allen's seem to miss that those dudes were slinging it. throwing picks and losing but piling up yards and TDs along the way. 80 yards for an entire game of football is terrible

• Thank you (+1) 2

This site defended EJ Manuel for 3 plus years. Even if Allen is garbage which so far he has been it’ll take 3 plus years for anyone to come to some consensus and even then. I imagine some people here still think Manuel got a raw deal and if given the chance he can be an all pro qb. Right not CJ is light years ahead of Allen and it’s really not even close. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hold on now ... let's not get carried away. CJ Beathard was really bad for most of last year. And he finished it with a 69.2 QB rating. And we know it wasn't all about "no talent around him on the offense" because as soon as Jimmy G. took over the offense was almost ridiculously better. But I do get the point: CJ Beathard was ordinary "rookie bad" last year. Our guys - Peterman, Allen - have been a special kind of awful.

Very well put. 

You explained it better than I did. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloSkills said:

I want him to be good but it doesn't look that way.  everyone comparing manning, Kelly, Elway rookie struggles to Allen's seem to miss that those dudes were slinging it. throwing picks and losing but piling up yards and TDs along the way. 80 yards for an entire game of football is terrible

Ya, they also didn't play in 2018 when the rules are stacked in favour of it being pretty damn easy to throw for a lot of yards. 

In 1985 one QB threw for more than 4,000 yards. Last year eight guys did it.

80 yards passing nowadays is simply pathetic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another stroke of bad luck for Bills not to have its administration in order last year for the draft.   Forget the Mahomes trade.   By moving up to select Zay Jones, Bills gave up picks that could have been used on Smith-Schuster AND Beathard.  

Just think of that draft to start the McDermott era.  Chances are that Beathard doesn't crap the bed vs Chargers, he rides until the end of the year into thre playoffs, possibly scores into double digits and Bills don't need to spend all the draft capital to move up for Allen.  

Amazing how one bad move can set the team back by years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kbarrettb said:

This site defended EJ Manuel for 3 plus years. Even if Allen is garbage which so far he has been it’ll take 3 plus years for anyone to come to some consensus and even then. I imagine some people here still think Manuel got a raw deal and if given the chance he can be an all pro qb. Right not CJ is light years ahead of Allen and it’s really not even close. 

A lot of people bailed on EJ by the end of his rookie year. Those people were right.

Unfortunately Doug Whaley held out hope for two more years. 

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’d trade Allen for Beathard straight up.

San Fran would probably hang up the phone.

Agree with both parts. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Ya, they also didn't play in 2018 when the rules are stacked in favour of it being pretty damn easy to throw for a lot of yards. 

In 1985 one QB threw for more than 4,000 yards. Last year eight guys did it.

80 yards passing nowadays is simply pathetic. 

80 yards passing is Tebow 2011. But the Broncos Tebow offense was weirdly more effective than this one. At least it was a force running the ball. Stunning, but true.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

You sure about that?  Impossible?

Yeah, to be fair to JA he did throw for 245 against LAC, and was well on his way to 300+ before Buffalo took the air out of the ball in the 2nd half against Minni.

I think I will stick with Allen for now, thanks.  Good for Beathard though.  Seems like a tough kid who can sling it.

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Does this mean the Bills can trade for Jimmy G?

Raise your hand if you didn't see a thread like this coming after Beathard hit Goodwin for the first TD.

You ladies don't need to post every ridiculous thought that enters your noggin. Just a suggestion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

80 yards passing is Tebow 2011. But the Broncos Tebow offense was weirdly more effective than this one. At least it was a force running the ball. Stunning, but true.

Tebow was a better passer than Allen.