Woods, Watkins, Hogan and Goodwin

RPbillsfan

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

People still said that WR group was trash. Let's not act like we were happy with WR then. Fans don't know what they are looking at. They believe what they want to believe. Happens all the time, blame everything but the QB.

I was happy.

I thought we had finally figured put you need really good WRs to win.  it almost worked. We were top 10 in scoring.  Would have if Rex could coach D. Now we are back to Coach Gailey era WRs and even worse scoring.

Bills will never be good or have a good QB until they wake the F up and get some quality studs at WR.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There wasn't a fan on this or any other site who shed a tear when Goodwin left.  This kind of hyprocritical  revisionism is ridiculous.

You are senile.  There were posts ridiculed including mine stating Goodwin was just coming into his game NOW in 4th year.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

By "everyone" I am talking about people on this board. Okay, it may not have been a unanimous 100% of the people on this board saying that, but it was clear that the majority of fans weren't exactly clamoring for the Bills to keep Robert Woods at all costs.

All costs? No. We got into that trouble with Watkins.  Woods should have got a good, competitive offer however.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You are senile.  There were posts ridiculed including mine stating Goodwin was just coming into his game NOW in 4th year.

All costs? No. We got into that trouble with Watkins.  Woods should have got a good, competitive offer however.

I agree.

Although Woods probably wanted to go back to California, so it may not have mattered what the Bills would have offered. Alas, we'll never know.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Vision issues too huh?

I do not recall a single post (and back then it was the old BBMB site I was on) that cared about Goodwin leaving because he had lost so much time.  Woods never even negotiated with the Bills, and the Bills knew he wanted to go back to the West coast.  So it's revisionist to say now that we should have kept those guys.  People complained about Hogan and Watkins too.

You have the advantage of hindsight.  GMs don't.

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There wasn't a fan on this or any other site who shed a tear when Goodwin left.  This kind of hyprocritical  revisionism is ridiculous.

I was a big Goodwin supporter, but he did get more money than I thought he would. 

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was happy.

I thought we had finally figured put you need really good WRs to win.  it almost worked. We were top 10 in scoring.  Would have if Rex could coach D. Now we are back to Coach Gailey era WRs and even worse scoring.

Bills will never be good or have a good QB until they wake the F up and get some quality studs at WR.

Your thinking is flawed. It's the other way around. QB makes the WR in most cases. 

But yes we need something at WR that backs off a defense. Goodwin and Watkins did that. 

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I was a big Goodwin supporter, but he did get more money than I thought he would. 

Your thinking is flawed. It's the other way around. QB makes the WR in most cases. 

But yes we need something at WR that backs off a defense. Goodwin and Watkins did that. 

I disagree. Obviously you need both.  If you don't have stud WRs your team will never be good and your QB will never be good.  that's my story and I'm sticking with it even it my "thinking is flawed" (it's not).

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

I disagree. Obviously you need both.  If you don't have stud WRs your team will never be good and your QB will never be good.  that's my story and I'm sticking with it even it my "thinking is flawed" (it's not).

What do you mean by stud WR's? You need talent yes, but saying a QB will never be good is about as easy an excuse you could make for QB. 

WR is the most QB dependent position there is. 

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What do you mean by stud WR's? You need talent yes, but saying a QB will never be good is about as easy an excuse you could make for QB. 

WR is the most QB dependent position there is. 

QB is the most WR dependent position there is. 

By stud WRs I mean 2 or 3 really good guys.  Like what Atlanta, NO, Rams, Bungles, Ravens, KC, and Cardinals have for example.  Rams have Woods/Cupp (who we could have drafted)/Cooks.  Atlanta has Julio Jones and Muhammad Sanu and then traded up into the first for Ridley.  They also traded up to the first to get Jones.  AND they have Matt Ryan.

And the team with allegedly the best QB last year traded a first round pick for a WR.

sorry, we're going to have similar results until our "brain trust" figures this out.

If you wanna compete with the big boys, you gotta have the WRs (and of course QB).

Edited by reddogblitz

Out of this group, I would rank them in the following: 1 - Woods (By a long shot), 2 - Goodwin, 3 - Watkins, 4 - Hogan

Woods - I said many times to pay the man what he wants, he was a tough, team-first player...  always on the field doing what was asked of him.  Rarely was hurt, solid route runner, excellent hands, good speed.

Hogan - He is a solid player, nothing special but a solid player that will do his job and you won't have to worry about him missing an assignment or getting in trouble.  I certainly wanted to keep him, but New England did offer him a decent size contract.

Goodwin - It was painful having him here but the one fear that I had about letting him go has seemed to come true....  He has gotten rid of the injury bug, and is showing off his ridiculous speed forcing defenses to account for him.

Watkins - He has been overrated since the day we drafted him.  He was never worth the ransom we paid, but was worth more than the trade compensation we got in return for trading him.  All in all, he is a solid #2 WR in my eyes, and a player I wish we still had on our team but not for the $$$ he wanted/got.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

By "everyone" I am talking about people on this board. Okay, it may not have been a unanimous 100% of the people on this board saying that, but it was clear that the majority of fans weren't exactly clamoring for the Bills to keep Robert Woods at all costs.

There were many people here saying how Woods was nothing special, or that he was a great run blocker.

Now all of a sudden fans are saying that we should have kept Woods no matter what. Where was all of this demanding from the fans when he was a free agent? I sure didn't see it.

I can see where you're coming from, and I agree with you about many fans changing their tunes after the fact.    However, my point is that the people who make personnel decisions do so without regard to fans' opinions -- or should make them without to regard to fans' opinions.  With the Bills, I'm not sure that's true.  Since Russ Brandon was handed control of the team in 2006, the Bills have frequently made personnel decisions based on how those moves would impact ticket sales.  I think the signing of Mario Williams and drafting EJ Manuel (from a simply terrible QB draft class from top to bottom) were both examples of that.   I think that Brandon's sticky fingerprints remain all over the current Bills team even after he was fired.  Neither McDermott nor Beane would have even been considered without having Brandon's prior approval.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, zow2 said:

But as others have said they don’t play special teams.  McD could not use them here ?

Let's be clear.  I think it's become evident that the personnel on the current roster cannot play special teams either ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tazor Face said:

It's funny that we weren't good with these players, made the playoffs without them, but somehow they would save this team. 

So, Kelvin Benjamin with his poor route running, lack of speed, and stone hands is a better WR than Robert Woods or Marquise Goodwin just because the Bills made the playoffs on a last second TD throw by Andy Dalton?  

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

So, Kelvin Benjamin with his poor route running, lack of speed, and stone hands is a better WR than Robert Woods or Marquise Goodwin just because the Bills made the playoffs on a last second TD throw by Andy Dalton?  

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Yeah I didn't say anything about who's better than what...but yeah Benjamin is better than Goodwin and so isn't Zay. Robert woods would have been nice to keep but cap situations and the fact he didn't seem to have much interest resigning, with no QB and a chance to play closer to home. And to add Watkins he is loaded with talent but hasn't exactly lit it up in his career which gives me the impression he has no more heart than Benjamin.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:31 PM, RPbillsfan said:

Hard to believe this was our WR group in 2014-2015 in comparison to the hot garbage we are fielding now.

Makes me ill

Should make you even more ill that we could've had Odell & Mahomes on the same squad, plus the draft stock invested in both Watkins & Allen.