Woods, Watkins, Hogan and Goodwin

RPbillsfan

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Hard to believe this was our WR group in 2014-2015 in comparison to the hot garbage we are fielding now.

Makes me ill

Woods is the biggest loss to me, but to be fair Goodwin likely won’t do anything this year while chronically injured without Garapollo, Hogan has seemingly taken a step back (although he’ll probably go for like 170 in a playoff game because Patriots), and Sammy isn’t really even a #2 right now so I get it from a management perspective.

Woods however is so legit. I see people talking about him being a dependable #2/#3 in their comparisons to Zay and I wonder where they’ve been the last two seasons. Bob Woods is Hines Ward light right now. Goff loves him. He’s one of the best legit #2’s in the league and is bordering on #1 status. Don’t sleep, we should have never let him go.

• Like (+1) 1

Robert Woods I can agree we should have kept, i always thought he was highly underrated and if we had a QB he'd be a big part of the success. Sammy Watkins is a very talented WR but for some reason like many other talented players in the NFL on Sundays most of the games he's just average. I can't explain why since he has great speed, excellent hands and a top WR attitude but on game day I witnessed many games where you barely knew Sammy was out there and for us most of the time he wasn't due to injury so I had no qualms about Watkins being dealt. I don't get The Goodwin or the Chris Hogan love though, Goodwin was a 1 trick pony and the 1 trick was him making a nice long catch then going into the training room immediately after and out 3-4 games. I like Chris Hogan's story but other than that what has he done, you really think he'd be making Allen a better QB out there? He's never had more than 700 yards or 5 TD passes in his career and that's 2 years with the greatest QB of all time throwing to him. I'm not bashing any of these guys for not winning championships but Woods is the only significant upgrade to what we have now and if Jones keeps playing the way he is we might have our own version on the team already for a much cheaper discount imo.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Other than Watkins who was injured people thought that group was trash. 

I think the first two were regarded as solid, Watkins and woods. And Hogan has a lot of his WSG supporters. I never was big on Hogan and still don't think he's great.

Goodwin I think was unanimously dismissed, and I'm completely confused by what he's doing in San Fran. Maybe it's Shanahan?

26 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Woods is the biggest loss to me, but to be fair Goodwin likely won’t do anything this year while chronically injured without Garapollo, Hogan has seemingly taken a step back (although he’ll probably go for like 170 in a playoff game because Patriots), and Sammy isn’t really even a #2 right now so I get it from a management perspective.

Woods however is so legit. I see people talking about him being a dependable #2/#3 in their comparisons to Zay and I wonder where they’ve been the last two seasons. Bob Woods is Hines Ward light right now. Goff loves him. He’s one of the best legit #2’s in the league and is bordering on #1 status. Don’t sleep, we should have never let him go.

I miss Woods a lot. Part of me thinks he'd never achieve this here, so I am happy for him. He played the hand he was dealt, blocked well, always competed. I'm happy he's having success in LA.

Still, I'm a Bills fan. Sucks it's not here. 

That said, McDermott let him walk and traded Sammy. Then brought in that !@#$ing slough Benjamin. They've done great defensively... but they look absolutely lost on offense, and even on the character front.

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, because between them, Hogan, Watkins, Woods and Goodwin have put up a massive 1071 yards combined over the first six games of the season. For one guy that would be pretty terrific. For four, not especially impressive.

I mean, yeah, that's a better group, but when you look at their salaries, they're not producing all that much despite an extremely impressive bunch of QBs throwing to them.

For 1 guy that'd shatter anything anyone has ever done.

But the homer in you has no place for context. 

You seriously just made the point that 1,076 yards through 6 games for a WR would be "impressive". They'd be on pace for over 2,500 yards. And Goodwin is dragging that total down and has Beathard throwing to him. He looked great today, but if he is better than anything we have on this roster. We have a serious problem.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I miss Woods a lot. Part of me thinks he'd never achieve this here, so I am happy for him. He played the hand he was dealt, blocked well, always competed. I'm happy he's having success in LA.

Still, I'm a Bills fan. Sucks it's not here. 

That said, McDermott let him walk and traded Sammy. Then brought in that !@#$ing slough Benjamin. They've done great defensively... but they look absolutely lost on offense, and even on the character front.

Couldn’t agree more, but was it McDermott or Beane? Somebody deserves credit for this defense and I feel like that’s largely McDermott, but somebody also deserves a s**t ton of blame for the state of this offense especially considering recent moves and I feel like that has to be Beane. Could be completely wrong of course, but I feel like we collectively always group the two together. What if one is okay and the other is completely out of his league? 

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Couldn’t agree more, but was it McDermott or Beane? Somebody deserves credit for this defense and I feel like that’s largely McDermott, but somebody also deserves a s**t ton of blame for the state of this offense especially considering recent moves and I feel like that has to be Beane. Could be completely wrong of course, but I feel like we collectively always group the two together. What if one is okay and the other is completely out of his league? 

I think McDermott calls the shots but that is just me guessing. I think he gets the credit and the blame. I don't know for sure though the way the organization's decision making works.

I also think it's a possibility he just has an old football mentality. He, deservingly so, has confidence in his defense and needing next to nothing on offense. So he's just not even really investing. I think he thinks he has the Pats model down

Edited by Ol Dirty B

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You seriously just made the point that 1,076 yards through 6 games for a WR would be "impressive". They'd be on pace for over 2,500 yards.

Yes, I did. Do you disagree? Would you consider it UNimpressive for one WR?

20 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

They'd be on pace for over 2,500 yards. And Goodwin is dragging that total down and has Beathard throwing to him. He looked great today, but if he is better than anything we have on this roster. We have a serious problem.

Yup, and 2,500 yards for a group of four receivers really is unimpressive, particularly for four guys who are being thrown to by Brady, Goff, Mahomes and Garoppolo/Beathard.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, I did. Do you disagree? Would you consider it UNimpressive for one WR?

Yup, and 2,500 yards for a group of four receivers really is unimpressive, particularly for four guys who are being thrown to by Brady, Goff, Mahomes and Garoppolo/Beathard.

We've only thrown for 750. And that's rounding up. But keep deflecting with what the issues are here.

You're trying to change tone because you know what you were saying was ridiculous after I spelled it out for you.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

We've only thrown for 750. And that's rounding up. But keep deflecting with what the issues are here.

You're an absolutely crap poster. 

From the guy who comes to the Bills boards and says nothing positive about them ever, I consider that you think that to be proof of high quality.

And you're the one who's deflecting. Pretend that the receivers are the only reason for the problem if you must, but you're wrong, as usual.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

From the guy who comes to the Bills boards and says nothing positive about them ever, I consider that you think that to be proof of high quality.

And you're the one who's deflecting. Pretend that the receivers are the only reason for the problem if you must, but you're wrong, as usual.

I've given them plenty of credit for the defense. You have a selective memory. You also said that 1,076 yards would be impressive for one receiver as if it was attainable. 

You totally tried to flip that post into being not ridiculous.

Never said receivers were the only problem either. The line sucks, QB play has been poor. If I say something about that though I get bombarded by blowhards like you that it has only been 5 games. I'm not writing him off, he just hasn't played well.

You want to live in your shell, and think everything this team does is great. 

You're a jill. I want to see this team win games or show that it is building a football team in the modern era.

Defense looks great, I just don't think that's the way you do it. And they're anemic on offense. Outside of Allen and Dawkins, we don't even have youth to look for to grow.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Watkins is on pace for 52 catches, 720 yards and 2 touchdowns for 14 million dollars a year.  For the life of me I do not understand the obsession with this guy.

Can someone please tell me what we won when these guys were on the team?  

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure 

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I've given them plenty of credit for the defense. You have a selective memory. You also said that 1,076 yards would be impressive for one receiver as if it was attainable. 

Really? I said it was attainable? Where? That's your own interpretation, your own way of desperately trying to find something wrong. If only you'd occasionally react to what was actually there instead of making things up entirely. Clearly it's asking too much. But here's what I actually said:

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, because between them, Hogan, Watkins, Woods and Goodwin have put up a massive 1071 yards combined over the first six games of the season. For one guy that would be pretty terrific. For four, not especially impressive.

I mean, yeah, that's a better group, but when you look at their salaries, they're not producing all that much despite an extremely impressive bunch of QBs throwing to them.

But as usual you were too busy deflecting, backbiting and entirely missing the point to respond to what was actually written. Instead, you just made up something and pretended I'd said it. 

I was - obviously - using the subjunctive. "Would." Only someone utterly unconcerned with anything but responding with insults would take that quote and say "as if it was attainable." You made that straw man up out of whole cloth. 

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Never said receivers were the only problem either. The line sucks, QB play has been poor. If I say something about that though I get bombarded by blowhards like you that it has only been 5 games. I'm not writing him off, he just hasn't played well.

You want to live in your shell, and think everything this team does is great. 

The reason you get "bombarded" is because you're missing the point. It has in fact only been five games, well six, actually. It is in fact far too early to make definitive or even early conclusions.

If "him" is Allen, yeah, he hasn't played well. How could anyone disagree.

And if you think I think everything this team does is great, you're even further out in LaLaLand than I'd previously guessed. That's just stupid. I've been more critical of the Bills than positive, overall, which made sense for the whole playoff drought. My biggest issue was probably Tyrod and QBs and I was relentlessly pointing out that we needed to draft a guy high, that Tyrod would never be a franchise guy. If anything I'm smack dab in the middle, though I like this regime more than I've liked one in a long time. Dunno how they'll do but they've at least got a plan and are making intelligent moves like rebuilding and drafting a QB early, though I'd rather have had any of the other three than Allen. But I think Allen has a legit chance ... with time, possibly an awful lot of time and development. But as for this regime, I'm not convinced, just hopeful. They've got to prove it. But it's way way too early for them to have yet proved much of anything.

And in no word here do I say the current group of WRs is good. Just that the past group the OP was pining for wasn't all that great. They're overpaid and overrated. I wanted them to keep Hogan and Woods, but teams with cap problems have to cut guys they maybe would like to keep. 

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't think there's any question at this point that the Pegulas are in way over their heads and remain tone deaf about it.  They need to hire an experienced football consultant ASAP to vet all personnel decisions.  They have presided over the complete destruction of the roster.  There was no need for it - and the product is TERRIBLE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We also had Harvin.

That was the year I thought the bills had finally discovered you need good WRs. Didn't last long.

People still said that WR group was trash. Let's not act like we were happy with WR then. Fans don't know what they are looking at. They believe what they want to believe. Happens all the time, blame everything but the QB. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

8 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Hard to believe this was our WR group in 2014-2015 in comparison to the hot garbage we are fielding now.

Makes me ill

But what did that Foursome do  ON The field when they donned the Bills colors....Nothing!!!

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

But as others have said they don’t play special teams.  McD could not use them here ?

Wood and Goodwin also didn't buy into "the Process" which they apparently demonstrated by simply wanting to be paid market rate for young veteran WRs with their talent level.

9 hours ago, mattynh said:

Other than Watkins who was injured people thought that group was trash. 

Watkins is trash and certainly wasn't worth two number 1 picks from that WR class.  We could have had any other top WR from that draft for ONE pick.  

He didn't do squat with the Rams offense, and he's on his same pathetic pace with the Chiefs offense.  

Woods and Hogan should still be here.  Goodwin was always hurt so not surprised they didn't keep him around.

• Haha (+1) 1