Woods, Watkins, Hogan and Goodwin

RPbillsfan

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So you both would have been fine with the Bills giving him the type of contract the Rams gave him?

I would. He’d easily be the best WR on this team, and would be targeted often. The only OC that made a concerted effort to get him targets was Roman in the second half of 2015. The numbers were pretty good, even with mediocre Tyrod. It’s water under the bridge now, but I’d still have done it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I would. He’d easily be the best WR on this team, and would be targeted often. The only OC that made a concerted effort to get him targets was Roman in the second half of 2015. The numbers were pretty good, even with mediocre Tyrod. It’s water under the bridge now, but I’d still have done it. 

Then you are the first person on this board that I know of to be in favor of it.

When Woods walked everyone said the Rams gave him too much.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Other than Watkins who was injured people thought that group was trash. 

Actually I think Robert Woods was great, Watkins was trash (and an injury faker) and Goodwin was potentially a good player if he concentrated on football.  Check previous posts.

And I though Hogan was very underrated by board.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Actually I think Robert Woods was great, Watkins was trash (and an injury faker) and Goodwin was potentially a good player if he concentrated on football.  Check previous posts.

And I though Hogan was very underrated by board.

Hogan was the most overrated WR on that roster. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I recall a lot of people liked Woods, but was he ever going to stay in Buffalo?

Probably not. He was never going to be franchised, and he wanted to play in California. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Then you are the first person on this board that I know of to be in favor of it.

And that’s fine. I don’t need others to agree with my opinion to believe in it. The Woods contract seemed like a lot for a utility WR that doesn’t have an elite skill set, but the FA market for WRs took a big jump. Largely because the 2014 class was very good, but subsequent years have produced many flameouts . Teams turned to FA WRs rather than spending more high picks. I think Woods is a fine WR that does many things well. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I recall a lot of people liked Woods, but was he ever going to stay in Buffalo?

I don't think we ever offered him a contract. My thinking was that they didn't feel they could sign both he and watkins, but if they weren't going to sign Watkins, they should have kept Woods.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

I don't think we ever offered him a contract. My thinking was that they didn't feel they could sign both he and watkins, but if they weren't going to sign Watkins, they should have kept Woods.

Possibly, or maybe he told them not to bother.. he was going home..

1 hour ago, mannc said:

All could have been retained.  Self-inflicted wound.

That's a lot of $ for average receivers. Rob is decent, but that is tooooo much $ for that group.

Oh, jmo.

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

I thought you said Woods was making more

He did.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Watkins is on pace for 52 catches, 720 yards and 2 touchdowns for 14 million dollars a year.  For the life of me I do not understand the obsession with this guy.

Can someone please tell me what we won when these guys were on the team?  

If you take away the one game where he was knocked out a few plays into the game, he’s on a 16 game pace of over 1,000 yards despite being the #3 or 4 option in the offense. The Bills #1 option will be lucky to hit 500 yards. 

And Sammy is still ranked as the 46th best WR by PFF which is roughly 40 spots higher than the Bills top WR.

hes obviously overpaid but hes a good player regardless. You could overpay worse guys, like Buffalo has done. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

So you don't like the rebuild?  Me neither. 

I don’t either, but I also know bottoming out is sometimes necessary to gain needed draft capital, shed burdensome K’s, etc. Hated the average 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 mediocre staple that was the hallmark of the drought years just as much as this too, because it was too good to draft top 5, and too bad to make the playoffs. I know the name “Sully” evokes strong reactions around here, both pro and con, but I’ll never forget his description of the Jauronimo years as “a heroic march to 7-9” where hitting that sweet spot was tantalizingly always just out of reach. I just really need the process to deliver double digit wins consistently when this rebuild is all over. Is that too much to ask?

23 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I don’t either, but I also know bottoming out is sometimes necessary to gain needed draft capital, shed burdensome K’s, etc. Hated the average 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 mediocre staple that was the hallmark of the drought years just as much as this too, because it was too good to draft top 5, and too bad to make the playoffs. I know the name “Sully” evokes strong reactions around here, both pro and con, but I’ll never forget his description of the Jauronimo years as “a heroic march to 7-9” where hitting that sweet spot was tantalizingly always just out of reach. I just really need the process to deliver double digit wins consistently when this rebuild is all over. Is that too much to ask?

How often does that actually work?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

Other than Watkins who was injured people thought that group was trash. 

I was happy with them as a group but knew our quarterbacks couldn’t use them. Most everyone thought they were a joke. Run blocker comment was spot on

Edited by SJDK

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Because WR pay was really just exploding. I think this board struggles to keep up with some trends like that. He’s only the 33rd best paid wr. So a good WR2 pay rate and less than benjamin. 

4 minutes ago, SJDK said:

I was happy with them as a group but knew our quarterbacks couldn’t use them. Most everyone thought they were a joke. Run blocker comment was spot on

There was a stretch with that WR group, and our beast defensive line plus mccoy, and a solid secondary and o line that we may have had one of the better 52 man rosters but were missing the most important position 

• Like (+1) 1

hindsight is 20/20. At the time they probably felt his potential didn't add up to $6 or $7mil per season. And i bet if we wouldve offered him that at the time, many around here would've felt we were overpaying. The job of a GM is a tough one. Most the time it doesnt end well. Not everyone can be a Robert Kraft, bcuz not every team can have a Tom Brady. You just hope you get more hits than misses.

With our situation its hard to evaluate much of anything, given the mess this team was in & how we've purged our dead cap for this year. But starting from 2019, with the players we bring in we'll be able to more accurately see how our GM performs & what type of QB Josh Allen is. Until then we'll be debating this stuff & picking out this & that while this season goes pretty much like we thought it would.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Hard to believe this was our WR group in 2014-2015 in comparison to the hot garbage we are fielding now.

Makes me ill

Yeah, because between them, Hogan, Watkins, Woods and Goodwin have put up a massive 1071 yards combined over the first six games of the season. For one guy that would be pretty terrific. For four, not especially impressive.

I mean, yeah, that's a better group, but when you look at their salaries, they're not producing all that much despite an extremely impressive bunch of QBs throwing to them.

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

How often does that actually work?

Without digging into this too deep, Cowboys 89, Rams 1st yr Goff, Browns last 2 yrs (maybe—they are the Browns after all), Indy (suck for Luck year), Jags 2016 (worst to 1st), Bills 84, 85. I’m positive there are more