Why Derek Anderson should start the rest of the season...

Simon

1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

With the way they've been protecting QBs this year, you may just have a point.

I am actually the Berg of Buffalo my friend, sorry to disappoint

No disappointment 'tall.

Berg was just a solid OG from back in the 1990's whose tone resembled your own, so I had to ask.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Development is EJ 2.0 - Josh Allen

this is scary how this is completely repeating the EJ picl.  Qb with good physical skills gets drafted high and plays before they are ready.  Then a mediocre at best journeyman qb replaces them.  So weird. 

Sorry boss, I don't see any comparison; at least between the two players. Maybe in the circumstances, but Allen is a far more natural athlete and QB than EJ ever was.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't disagree with any of that, but in this particular offense, I don't think those reps are providing any real benefit to him.

The chances of him suffering a catastrophic injury are far greater than anything he's going to learn in his current environment.

Interesting thought to just sit him the rest of the season. Here is the problem though. I see McD as a stubborn and over confident coach not particularly great at judging QB talent. (Should never have traded AJM without seeing IntercePeterman in real game action, particularly when he knew what happened last year). He will continue to try tell Daboll to scheme around NP' weaknesses and set an all time record of QB rating. 

Anderson has not been around long enough but maybe he is smart enough to pick up the offensive playbook (playpage?) Adequately enough to get by. Even if he protects the ball and plays small ball, it will be better than what NP offers. Still need another QB though. NP had been on the roster 10 months too long. 

Sorry for the rambling. I am pretty disappointed in McBeane's handling of the Offensive side of the roster. 

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Interesting thought to just sit him the rest of the season. Here is the problem though. I see McD as a stubborn and over confident coach not particularly great at judging QB talent. (Should never have traded AJM without seeing IntercePeterman in real game action, particularly when he knew what happened last year). He will continue to try tell Daboll to scheme around NP' weaknesses and set an all time record of QB rating. 

I see coach doing that exact same thing until it bites him square in the bippy.

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Start a 35 year old street free agent who was out of football and on a family vacation when he got the call. 

About as Billsy as talking a washed up Kyle Orton out of retirement. 

I just think you aint' winning with either of them so let the new/old stunt double be the guy that gets his knee rolled up on or gets turfed onto his throwing shoulder.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I see coach doing that exact same thing until it bites him square in the bippy.

I just think you aint' winning with either of them so let the new/old stunt double be the guy that gets his knee rolled up on or gets turfed onto his throwing shoulder.

I just think you drafted a guy 7th overall. 

Get the answer this year instead of getting 4 games into 2019 and deciding to sit a healthy Allen after spending all offseason adding personnel to help him ala EJ Manuel. 

Realistically the Bills need to draft another QB this coming draft. Anderson won't be here next year and Peterman should be gone already. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Anderson has not been around long enough but maybe he is smart enough to pick up the offensive playbook (playpage?) Adequately enough to get by. Even if he protects the ball and plays small ball, it will be better than what NP offers. Still need another QB though. NP had been on the roster 10 months too long. 

Sorry for the rambling. I am pretty disappointed in McBeane's handling of the Offensive side of the roster. 

I usually like alot of McD's decisions, but you definitely have some good points. We had Mcarron pretty cheap, should have kept him. At this point peterman isn't an option. But who honestly could come in and look good with probably the least talented offense in the league

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Development is EJ 2.0 - Josh Allen

this is scary how this is completely repeating the EJ picl.  Qb with good physical skills gets drafted high and plays before they are ready.  Then a mediocre at best journeyman qb replaces them.  So weird. 

Dude, it's beyond that.

Cutting Fitz (Trading Tyrod) without having a replacement drafted, and being in need of a vet QB to play for one more year while the project QB sits.

Signing Kolb (McCarron) who then doesnt make it for whatever reasons

Not having the proper staff to develop a project QB

Throwing EJ (Allen) in immediately

Injured Knee (Elbow) in Week 5 (6) knocks him out.

Derails what little development was occurring.

Wash.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I just think you drafted a guy 7th overall. 

Get the answer this year instead of getting 4 games into 2019 and deciding to sit a healthy Allen after spending all offseason adding personnel to help him ala EJ Manuel. . 

What kind of answer are you getting right now with Allen? What exactly is he learning? I don't mind drafting another QB but any rookie should get at least 2 seasons before giving up on him. Goff is the most recent good example of taking a huge step up after a terrible rookie season. McBeane had set up the O for failure. The least they can do is minimize the damage

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

No disappointment 'tall.

Berg was just a solid OG from back in the 1990's whose tone resembled your own, so I had to ask.

Sorry boss, I don't see any comparison; at least between the two players. Maybe in the circumstances, but Allen is a far more natural athlete and QB than EJ ever was.

He’s off to a worst start to his career than EJ.  Hope you’re right but I think they both have weaknesses that are very difficult to overcome.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I couldn't give a popcorn fart about his feelings or confidence. If those are a concern, he's already done as a QB in this league.

I'm talking about him getting seriously injured in a way that is going to negatively affect his physical abilities for the next 15 years.

Every player risks injury. It's a violent sport and durability is just as important as talent. That's just the name of the game.

19 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Every player risks injury. It's a violent sport and durability is just as important as talent. That's just the name of the game.

Sure, but I just see a significant difference between the norm of risking injury and the outlier of courting disaster.

Swimming in the ocean is one thing, jumping in a shark tank wearing a seal suit is a different sort of recreation.

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

Sure, but I just see a significant difference between the norm of risking injury and the outlier of courting disaster.

Swimming in the ocean is one thing, jumping in a shark tank wearing a seal suit is a different sort of recreation.

Well, that's quite the analogy. I see what you mean though.

This whole mentor thing I don't really understand.

It's like sending your kid to get mentored by someone who worked at Kodak, Radio Shack or Kmart in high level management.

Derek Anderson has done nothing but stuck around and collect checks. He has never shown to be excellent at reading defenses, game management, ball placement. Nothing.

He's just a warm body that might not cost you the game like Peterman will. I really don't understand what he can help Allen with. If the coaching staff can't figure out how to show him how to prepare during the week, then they have huge problems.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

If that's how they've handled the environment they have thrown an investment like Allen in, I have bigger problems with them. I don't completely disagree with your points on Anderson regarding why he should start. The fact one would describe the situation on offense this way, and throwing a guy your career is tied to just shows complete incompetence in my opinion.

3 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Anderson last completed a pass in the NFL on 9-24-17.  He was not in any team’s camp this summer.   From 2011 through 2017 he was with the Panthers and threw 168 total passes for those 7 years.  That means 24 total passes per season. His last TD pass was in 2016.

He’s getting $760,000 this year for the Bills.  A J McCarron is getting $2.1 mil in Dead Cap money from the Bills.

Are we really expecting him to start an NFL game for the Bills in 2018?  He’s basically been in retirement for the past 7 years!  I think it’s pretty crazy.

** I posted this before but another Moderator said it should be merged with another Anderson thread??  I don't see any other Anderson thread but yours.  **

Thank you for keeping this great board going!

Yes, it is pretty crazy.

What is crazier is that Nate Peterman might start instead! 

It's going to be one or the other IMO; I think Allen is hurt and can't play.

The way the QB situation is unfolding should result in someone being fired.