Why Derek Anderson should start the rest of the season...

Simon

23 minutes ago, iinii said:

Obviously we are back to the same question and everyone has basically stayed with their original beliefs. I am with the OP and have been since opening day. Allen needs to sit (or stand) and learn while DA does his best to execute the game plan. 

Now that we have seen Allen get injured which is inevitable and more likely playing with lesser pieces around him, it only confirms the rational belief that the process is going to shorten his career. 

Allen is a child in the NFL and most parents will tell you that there are life lessons to be learned but beatings and bullying are rarely effective. 

Like Mahomes?

Agreed - just let him sit and learn as was intended all along. He was never going to start this year, and he certainly wasn't going to learn in-game with the team they had going into the season. Based upon the moves made this past offseason, including setting up the cap and collecting draft capital, meant that they were planning to make large moves in the upcoming offseason. It's no secret we started the rebuild last year, and unexpectedly made the playoffs, but we need to stop letting that guide our expectations. This is what this year was always supposed to look like.

With one exception: Allen was meant to be on the sidelines, developing his game experience through observation, and working on his development in practice/offseason workouts. As much as the kid needs to develop his pre-snap reads, he also needs to work on his footwork and pocket behavior - these are things a green rookie from the mountain west would learn in repeated practices, in addition to having another offseason before putting it all into practice in 2019. The other thing he would have is a team built using cap space and draft capital that would be infinitely more competitive than the group he currently has. This was the scenario I was reserving judgement for, and still reserving it for. It doesn't mean he can't take in-game reps this season, but pick the moments you give him exposure - not necessarily meaningless drives, but scripting a string of plays to focus on his development in a specific area whether it be pre-snap reads, footwork/dropbacks, staying in the pocket, timing routes, accuracy, etc. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

I admit to being a little surprised by how may folks seem to be looking at this through the lens of what gives the Bills the best chance right now.

The truth is the Bills have no chance right now. There is no QB on planet Earth available to them that can turn this team into a winner this year. It's simply not in the realm of reality and it's time to stop considering it as a possibility when deciding how to move forward.

It's already past time to just protect your investment by giving him regular repetitions during the week and then letting him stand on the sidelines and listen to the entire staff running the offense through a headset in real time on Sundays.  Maybe later in the season when his fundamentals are a little more solid, you let him run the offense in managed situations to get some experience, but aside from that I think you just need to keep him healthy until next year when you have more talent around him and he's better prepared to take care of himself out there.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, ctk232 said:

With one exception: Allen was meant to be on the sidelines, developing his game experience through observation, and working on his development in practice/offseason workouts. As much as the kid needs to develop his pre-snap reads, he also needs to work on his footwork and pocket behavior - these are things a green rookie from the mountain west would learn in repeated practices, in addition to having another offseason before putting it all into practice in 2019. The other thing he would have is a team built using cap space and draft capital that would be infinitely more competitive than the group he currently has. This was the scenario I was reserving judgement for, and still reserving it for. It doesn't mean he can't take in-game reps this season, but pick the moments you give him exposure - not necessarily meaningless drives, but scripting a string of plays to focus on his development in a specific area whether it be pre-snap reads, footwork/dropbacks, staying in the pocket, timing routes, accuracy, etc. 

Thank you for stating it more thoroughly and with more clarity than I've been able to.