Why Derek Anderson should start the rest of the season...

Simon

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen has to keep playing this year. We have to find out what we have in Allen because we very well may need to take a QB high in this coming draft. Even if it is not for a starter, we have no viable back up QB for the 2019 season. Anderson? Peterman? They can't be options moving forward? We might take a guy early in the second round who can be a back up and also compete with Allen.

We have no idea what Anderson will do if he plays. He's thrown 2ints in each of his last two starts and those were two seasons ago at the age of 33. Now he is 35. He very well might not be any better than Peterman.  I believe Peterman will start on Sunday. I don't think McDermott ever considered the Anderson signing as more that a guy that will show both Allen and Peterman how to get ready during the week. Nobody was more excited for Peterman to throw the TD to Zay Jones than McDermott. It would have justified McDermott's decision to keep trotting Peterman out there. Instead, McDermott will continue to trot Peterman out there but with continued heavy criticism. 

rolling the dice and saying "***** it" seems to be a pattern

maybe this will lead to an 11-5 season....  ?

If Anderson plays okay or decent and we actually move the ball, I wouldn't be surprised Allen if healthy still sits.

It's not what we as fans want, or Allen or what the coaching staff wanted when Allen was announced starter in week 2....but doesn't look ready and could be detrimental for his growth.  We just can't move the ball at all with him right now.

I think possibly Anderson could win the job if he plays well this weekend.

I mostly agree with the OP.  I still would like to see Josh get a couple of games in once the Bills are eliminated.

Watching Anderson prepare as a starter will help Josh greatly.  Watching Anderson interact with Daboll during games will be even more instructive. 

Josh is in no position to provide in-game feedback to Daboll right now.  Anderson will do that from play one - even with limited knowledge of the playbook.  Josh is stuck with every play he gets from the headset and does very little adjustment. 

Every play right now where the Bills line up correctly is a triumph for Josh.  Execution and adaptation suffer because its hard enough to get in and out of the huddle and get everyone aligned.  Josh is still at this phase.

Josh will get to see how a knowledgeable veteran and a coach interact during the week and in the heat of game day.   He will see how Anderson scans the field pre-snap and what he calls in certain situations.  He will see that the basics of alignment and line calls has to happen with 15 seconds still left on the play clock and that after that the adjustments are on him to make.   Anderson will be a great mentor in this area.

This is a game of nuance and quick thinking.  Josh isn't there yet.  He needs to see a veteran do this and he is bright enough to learn it.  I still think Josh will be a franchise QB but he needs this education.

Edited by JoeF

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree that Allen shouldn't play unless he's healthy enough, but I don't think that necessarily means he has to be 100%.

Guilty of hyperbole with regard to the coaching staff ... but not much.  Again - I think it's mostly Daboll calling terrible games.  When he's been forced to go against his pass-happy ways, the line looks better, the running game flourishes and the Bills win.  That's on McDermott, who took the defense into his own hands which has resulted in great success (IMO).  I know he's not an offense guy, but he is the head coach and he needs to see that passing far too frequently is hurting the team - not to mention his first round QB.

Why would you play him if he was less than 100% and how is he more likely to get injured next year if he is sidelined?  Serious question.  I understand that reps are important, but behind this o-line, he could potentially receive not only a season ending injury, but possibly a career ending injury.  Throwing him to the dogs at this point would be ill-advised in my opinion.  

You can call out the coaches all you want, but at the end of the day, players have to make plays.  Receivers dropping balls, Peterman being Peterman, an o-line that is horrible, etc., etc. etc.  Give Daboll some quality players and then we can truly assess how bad the play calling is. 

Just now, Flutie Flakes said:

Why would you play him if he was less than 100% and how is he more likely to get injured next year if he is sidelined?  Serious question.  I understand that reps are important, but behind this o-line, he could potentially receive not only a season ending injury, but possibly a career ending injury.  Throwing him to the dogs at this point would be ill-advised in my opinion.  

You can call out the coaches all you want, but at the end of the day, players have to make plays.  Receivers dropping balls, Peterman being Peterman, an o-line that is horrible, etc., etc. etc.  Give Daboll some quality players and then we can truly assess how bad the play calling is. 

Because no one is 100% in the NFL.  Rodgers can barely walk and he plays every week.  They all play with discomfort (well ... not all ... but most).  That's why I said, "healthy enough."  100% is unreasonable.

Who's to say the O line will be any better next year?  Different?  Likely.  Better?  Maybe/maybe not.

I am not calling for Daboll's head for the reasons you listed.  I'd like to see him adjust more, though.  He's been stubborn, rigid and - frankly - stupid with his game planning in all of the Bills' losses.

10 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

No thanks.

No offense, but I could really give a ***** what Jon Gruden says about a chuckle on the sidelines with your teammate when your team is down 18.  ESPN and Gruden made this "controversy" -- and sharing a laugh on the sideline in a game you are losing happens all the time.

The series before the OL may have missed a block and gotten Anderson killed and he came to apologize.  Anderson smiled and said no worries. To me this has no bearing on whether Derek Anderson cares about the game or his competitive nature.  Just my opinion.

Edited by JoeF

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

No offense, but I could really give a ***** what Jon Gruden says about a chuckle on the sidelines with your teammate when your team is down 18.  ESPN and Gruden made this "controversy" -- and sharing a laugh on the sideline in a game you are losing happens all the time.

The series before the OL may have missed a block and gotten Anderson killed and he came to apologize.  Anderson smiled and said no worries. To me this has no bearing on whether Derek Anderson cares about the game or his competitive nature.  Just my opinion.

If I give you a quarter, will you go buy yourself a sense of humor?

23 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

No, let Allen develop

Let's NEVER play him cause he might get hurt... Wtf this is football, anybody could get hurt on any play. Bad OL or Bernard Pollard rolling into Brady's knee, or Teddy Bridgewater literally just trying to drop back. 

He's a big boy and needs experience

• Like (+1) 1

I agree he needed to sit for a bit and regroup, and this injury is a perfect excuse to do that, but Josh ultimately needs to play to improve.

The big thing is we don't put him in anymore pressure filled environments where he's the difference between us winning and losing in a playoff race before he's ready. Right now he's only reinforcing bad habits while pressing to win at all costs, and everyone's losing confidence in the process. Allen should play again as soon as we're out of it and he's healthy enough to go. Then the primary goal can be his development.

Edited by VW82

This was the plan anyway, but McCarron flamed out and Peterman is a disaster, so Allen had to start.

it's fun having him out there but my biggest fear is him learning bad habits while running for his life. 

hopefully Anderson can keep him on the bench with his performance and McD can use the excuse that he gives us the best chance to win and Allen can learn thru film and better talent surrounding him next year.

1 hour ago, AllenWillBust said:

Yes, the tire fire that is Allen should resume as quickly as possible, so we can move on from him as quickly as possible.

Were you busy traveling when Allen beat the Vikings and Titans ? 

Cool timing ??

Edited by Teddy KGB