Why Derek Anderson should start the rest of the season...

Simon

12 hours ago, Simon said:

or at least until he gets hurt.

The Bills have dropped an enormous amount of capital to acquire their first true blue chip QB prospect in decades. They then proceeded to surround him with a large pile of sub-par players who simply have no business starting in the NFL. If they continue to trot this kid out there every week, he is going to get hurt.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how.

Maybe they get lucky and he just gets a couple ribs busted up or cracks his left ulna; but if they don't get lucky there is a real significant chance that he's going to get his plant knee torn up, take damage to his throwing shoulder or suffer any of a myriad of injuries that is going to negatively affect him for the rest of his career.

And for what? This team is not going anywhere this year with any QB available to them. The staff is desperately trying to scheme around an insurmountable lack of talent but there is only so much you can do and this kid cannot learn jack in that kind of environment. There is virtually no upside into continuing to put him out there and if there is, it is massively outweighed by the downside of him taking permanent damage for no good reason.

The Bills should put a headset on him the rest of the year and let him gain experience standing next to coaches and working with a veteran QB 6 days a week. Use a pile of draft picks and cap space to build aan NFL O-line this offseason and put some legitimate skill players on the field around him next year and then see what he's got. Risking this kids long-term health for the sake of letting him gain a little bit of dubious experience in a modified NFL offense is an inexcusable manner in which to risk the kind of prospect which comes around rarely and to which you've devoted a tremendous amount of resources.

Nope the opportunity to sit a year left when they started him. 

So Now when healthy enough to play should start. This is the path OBD chose 

Well maybe this injury is divine intervention i just hope that McD has the smarts to see that Petermen can not lead this team to a victory, the only victory he has is in his faith which is a great thing !! 

That being said Anderson has to be the next guy up & provide some veteran leadership both on & off the field which i think will help Allen in the long run which i will mention one last time i think it was foolish for McD to get rid of AJ !!

Because as it looked from the time they brought him in it seemed to me the fan that they would let AJ take the reigns while Allen learned & even if they would have chosen Petermen as they did to start given what has happened  AJ would have stepped in keeping Allen on the side lines .

AJ then would have been able to take some of the pressure off putting Allen in before he was ready & if AJ would have been the one getting hurt Petermen would have shown exactly what he has to this point & Allen could have been put to the #2 spot while still not being on the field or at the very least having a few more games to learn as they thought they would do from the beginning .

But Anderson is here now & maybe if the coaches realize Nate is not the answer or even close he can come in while letting Allen recover & if he does good let him play out the season & Allens reps to this point can be experience while learning behind a vet ...

or at least until he gets hurt.

The Bills have dropped an enormous amount of capital to acquire their first true blue chip QB prospect in decades. They then proceeded to surround him with a large pile of sub-par players who simply have no business starting in the NFL. If they continue to trot this kid out there every week, he is going to get hurt.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how.

Maybe they get lucky and he just gets a couple ribs busted up or cracks his left ulna; but if they don't get lucky there is a real significant chance that he's going to get his plant knee torn up, take damage to his throwing shoulder or suffer any of a myriad of injuries that is going to negatively affect him for the rest of his career.

And for what? This team is not going anywhere this year with any QB available to them. The staff is desperately trying to scheme around an insurmountable lack of talent but there is only so much you can do and this kid cannot learn jack in that kind of environment. There is virtually no upside into continuing to put him out there and if there is, it is massively outweighed by the downside of him taking permanent damage for no good reason.

The Bills should put a headset on him the rest of the year and let him gain experience standing next to coaches and working with a veteran QB 6 days a week. Use a pile of draft picks and cap space to build aan NFL O-line this offseason and put some legitimate skill players on the field around him next year and then see what he's got. Risking this kids long-term health for the sake of letting him gain a little bit of dubious experience in a modified NFL offense is an inexcusable manner in which to risk the kind of prospect which comes around rarely and to which you've devoted a tremendous amount of resources.

Yes. We put a ton of capital into him BUT to sit here and use a crystal globe into his future of his injuries and because of his injuries you feel it hinders his learning curve other then missing games I disagree with. I wanted him out for the whole year. Red shirt him. Let the kid learn. The thing is now.. you broke the ice, he has fallen through the waters and we have already pulled the space heaters out for him to dry :D  I feel this kid is a strong solid thinker, He doesn't let things get to his head other then the fact with some happy feet, witch who wouldn't get happy feet behind this line. That being said he PROVED he can stand in the pocket and throw a 40 yard dart and have it completed just before getting hit.

The bonuses come with this in my view the perfect vet for him.

In Josh Allen I feel we have a raw Cam Newton type of player with a higher ceiling and who better to have someone help Josh then Derek Anderson. A guy who has been in the NFL since 2005. A MENTOR more then a QB. A guy that has seen it all in the NFL and can talk to Allen In game. Who has been working with Josh Allen in between offensive plays? A QB coach that spend his career as a WR coach? Peterman?(Peterman seems to be in hiding during games? why?), I wouldn't of called AJ a vet for what little he played in 3 years..  Do you guys really think Daball from the booth helps him much during a game? Sitting there with a tablet is his in game to go to guy to talk about what happened and what went wrong or what he could do better? The lack of a good person on the sideline helping this rookie is exactly what we needed from week 1.

There are some QB's in this league that injuries don't effect them and some how I think the only thing that effected Josh Allen is the lack of a yellow flag on that garbage head leaning hit to his arm. I cant wait till Josh Allen is healed from his injuries, and has a vet/mentor on the sidelines working with the kid to get better. Benching Josh Allen for the rest of the year could hurt him more mentally for the duration of the year then taking hits and looking into a crystal ball on future injuries.

I say. Let him play

I couldn't give a popcorn fart about his feelings or confidence. If those are a concern, he's already done as a QB in this league.

I'm talking about him getting seriously injured in a way that is going to negatively affect his physical abilities for the next 15 years.

yes, the last thing I want to see is David Carr2.0.....although it seems were already too late.  To everyone who wants him to play because hes better than DA, do you really think Allen is the difference maker to bring us to the playoffs?  Allen can learn plenty watching the mistakes of DA from the sideline while not suffering through a train wreck behind center

I rather have Anderson on the bench with Allen as they go through the game and watch it together from the sidelines. Put Peterman to the wolves let him sink or swim. If he tanks there will be no reason to bring him back next year which is my biggest fear and hope we don't repeat the same mistake again with him as the back up.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Well maybe this injury is divine intervention i just hope that McD has the smarts to see that Petermen can not lead this team to a victory, the only victory he has is in his faith which is a great thing !! 

That being said Anderson has to be the next guy up & provide some veteran leadership both on & off the field which i think will help Allen in the long run which i will mention one last time i think it was foolish for McD to get rid of AJ !!

Because as it looked from the time they brought him in it seemed to me the fan that they would let AJ take the reigns while Allen learned & even if they would have chosen Petermen as they did to start given what has happened  AJ would have stepped in keeping Allen on the side lines .

AJ then would have been able to take some of the pressure off putting Allen in before he was ready & if AJ would have been the one getting hurt Petermen would have shown exactly what he has to this point & Allen could have been put to the #2 spot while still not being on the field or at the very least having a few more games to learn as they thought they would do from the beginning .

But Anderson is here now & maybe if the coaches realize Nate is not the answer or even close he can come in while letting Allen recover & if he does good let him play out the season & Allens reps to this point can be experience while learning behind a vet ...

Thinking about the preseason game with Cleveland I think there was something management saw with McCarron that screamed unload him if you can.  Maybe McCarron no longer had any passion to do the work necessary to start.  I can only wonder about his mindset early on.

Derek Anderson has one decent year in his long career and it was near the beginning. He’s a better option then Peterman but he definitely not worth taking snaps from Josh. This year is all about getting Allen as much experience as possible. 

I still say the experience is worth it. I see very, very few catastrophic injuries and most of them are on fluke plays and not just from beatings. Not to mention he is huge and country strong. Yes, this could be one of those fluky injuries right now but I bet it's not.

The offense is terrible and he is learning far less than he could be learning because of it, I totally agree with that. But he is still learning to read defenses pre and post snap, seeing disguises, sensing the rush, seeing blitzes coming from all sides, learning how to keep ALL of the 25 things an NFL QB has to think about simultaneously in the heat of battle with a ticking clock, seeing just how fast these DL and LBs and DBs are so he knows how tight the windows are to throw in, being in two and four minute offenses in real time,  seeing all of the defensive schemes played from a true POV and not a sideline or video POV, etc. I could go on.

I think it's worth it. It's criminal that they are putting him through it with this supporting cast but it's still worth it.

But welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends, Simon. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

McBeane have their reputations riding on Allen. It wasn't part of the process to start him beginning in week 2, but it happened. And now that they have another (albeit less than ideal) option not named Peterman, they need to adjust and think longer term. That's going to mean some bad football, but they're not in do or die time.  Not yet at least.

Agree with OP. Sit their guy and hope the game slows down so he'll be ready to take the reigns in 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen has to keep playing this year. We have to find out what we have in Allen because we very well may need to take a QB high in this coming draft. Even if it is not for a starter, we have no viable back up QB for the 2019 season. Anderson? Peterman? They can't be options moving forward? We might take a guy early in the second round who can be a back up and also compete with Allen.

We have no idea what Anderson will do if he plays. He's thrown 2ints in each of his last two starts and those were two seasons ago at the age of 33. Now he is 35. He very well might not be any better than Peterman.  I believe Peterman will start on Sunday. I don't think McDermott ever considered the Anderson signing as more that a guy that will show both Allen and Peterman how to get ready during the week. Nobody was more excited for Peterman to throw the TD to Zay Jones than McDermott. It would have justified McDermott's decision to keep trotting Peterman out there. Instead, McDermott will continue to trot Peterman out there but with continued heavy criticism. 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen has to keep playing this year. We have to find out what we have in Allen because we very well may need to take a QB high in this coming draft. Even if it is not for a starter, we have no viable back up QB for the 2019 season. Anderson? Peterman? They can't be options moving forward? We might take a guy early in the second round who can be a back up and also compete with Allen.

We have no idea what Anderson will do if he plays. He's thrown 2ints in each of his last two starts and those were two seasons ago at the age of 33. Now he is 35. He very well might not be any better than Peterman.  I believe Peterman will start on Sunday. I don't think McDermott ever considered the Anderson signing as more that a guy that will show both Allen and Peterman how to get ready during the week. Nobody was more excited for Peterman to throw the TD to Zay Jones than McDermott. It would have justified McDermott's decision to keep trotting Peterman out there. Instead, McDermott will continue to trot Peterman out there but with continued heavy criticism. 

And for the fourth or fifth time in a row Peterman will make McDermott look like an idiot ( I don't count the snow game where no one on either team could really show their skills in any real way). I don't think McD can afford that.