Why Derek Anderson should start the rest of the season...

Simon

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

. If they continue to trot this kid out there every week, he is going to get hurt.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how.

Really going out on a limb there, huh?   :)

But fully agree with the rest of the post.  Allen has been pressing and not learning or improving.

I do think this could be a blessing in disguise for the long run to let Josh take in an NFL vet running the offense for a couple games. Then when Josh is healthy he can get back in there after hopefully learning a thing or two and Anderson can be of even more help having actually played in our offense in a live game.   

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Really going out on a limb there, huh?   :)

Yeah, impeccable timing.

I was actually going to post something similar about keeping him on the sideline this year, then about 4 hours after I had come to that conclusion he took a ferocious beating in one of the preseason games and I just figured it was redundant at that point.

Although in hindsight, I have no idea why it isn't also redundant now ?

We are kind of back to the original timeline, with a different placeholder. I’m in no hurry to get him back in, but I’m not going to paint myself into a corner, either. No need to decide today, play it by ear......and good luck. 

If I’ve learned one thing, ONE THING, it’s that there is no appropriate simulation for a live NFL game for QBs. 

I re learn this every preseason when guys like Trent, EJ, Fitz, Nate, maybe Josh, TT, and the litany of guys o didn’t pay attention to previously.

live fire reps are the investment you have to make. 

Allen has something, but he’s not proven it on the big stage.

There is some element of mental processing where these guys click and start seeing things in slow motion compared to the rest. It happened to me in other sports at much lower levels of competitive play, so I get what they are looking for. 

I guess my point is playing at that level is the only way to find it. Practice reps will never be enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ridiculous post, idea.

Without some awful special teams plays yesterday the Bills beat yet another playoff bound team, and again on the road.

Derek Anderson our starting quarterback!! Yikes.

This is Josh Allen's team, not that of a washed up, never has been quarterback's.

Edited by Mister Defense

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

live fire reps are the investment you have to make. 

I guess my point is playing at that level is the only way to find it. Practice reps will never be enough. 

I don't disagree with any of that, but in this particular offense, I don't think those reps are providing any real benefit to him.

The chances of him suffering a catastrophic injury are far greater than anything he's going to learn in his current environment.

3 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Ridiculous post, idea.

Without some awful special teams plays yesterday the Bills beat yet another playoff bound team, and again on the road.

Derek Anderson our starting quarterback!! Yikes.

This is Josh Allen's team, not that of a washed up, never has been quarterback's.

He had one good season to be fair 

49 minutes ago, Simon said:

or at least until he gets hurt.

The Bills have dropped an enormous amount of capital to acquire their first true blue chip QB prospect in decades. They then proceeded to surround him with a large pile of sub-par players who simply have no business starting in the NFL. If they continue to trot this kid out there every week, he is going to get hurt.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how.

Maybe they get lucky and he just gets a couple ribs busted up or cracks his left ulna; but if they don't get lucky there is a real significant chance that he's going to get his plant knee torn up, take damage to his throwing shoulder or suffer any of a myriad of injuries that is going to negatively affect him for the rest of his career.

And for what? This team is not going anywhere this year with any QB available to them. The staff is desperately trying to scheme around an insurmountable lack of talent but there is only so much you can do and this kid cannot learn jack in that kind of environment. There is virtually no upside into continuing to put him out there and if there is, it is massively outweighed by the downside of him taking permanent damage for no good reason.

The Bills should put a headset on him the rest of the year and let him gain experience standing next to coaches and working with a veteran QB 6 days a week. Use a pile of draft picks and cap space to build aan NFL O-line this offseason and put some legitimate skill players on the field around him next year and then see what he's got. Risking this kids long-term health for the sake of letting him gain a little bit of dubious experience in a modified NFL offense is an inexcusable manner in which to risk the kind of prospect which comes around rarely and to which you've devoted a tremendous amount of resources.

People act like these rookie Quarterback are small children afraid to get their feelings hurt. I totally understand what you are saying, but the line is playing much better than everyone thought and half those sacks are on Allen himself. The Bills screwed up the QB situation majorly, but now they have got to roll with it and BENCHING Josh Allen is going to hurt his confidence way more than getting dinged up and knocked around a bit. 

EDIT: The only way I would be in favor of Derek Anderson taking over is if Allen can't play this Sunday and Anderson absolutely lights up the Colts. And that's ONLY because I really don't want to squander this defense and Kyle Williams last year as a Bill.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

People act like these rookie Quarterback are small children afraid to get their feelings hurt. I totally understand what you are saying, but the line is playing much better than everyone thought and half those sacks are on Allen himself. The Bills screwed up the QB situation majorly, but now they have got to roll with it and BENCHING Josh Allen is going to hurt his confidence way more than getting dinged up and knocked around a bit. 

I couldn't give a popcorn fart about his feelings or confidence. If those are a concern, he's already done as a QB in this league.

I'm talking about him getting seriously injured in a way that is going to negatively affect his physical abilities for the next 15 years.

I really wonder how Derek Anderson is feeling about this whole situation right now.  He knows the Bills offensive talent is subpar.  He knows that if he goes in, he's going to take a beating on a weekly basis.  I highly doubt he signed up for this expecting to play.  Is it possible that we could we have a second halftime retirement?

Anderson is older than dirt, hasn't actually played in a coon's age, and has only been here a week. And bear in mind, even when Anderson was younger, and in his "prime", he was not very good. Remember- in 2009 Anderson started for the Browns at the Ralph in what has to be considered the worst game ever played, the riveting shootout with Trent Edwards that resulted in an impressive 6-3 win that memorable day for Anderson's Browns.

7 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I really wonder how Derek Anderson is feeling about this whole situation right now.  He knows the Bills offensive talent is subpar.  He knows that if he goes in, he's going to take a beating on a weekly basis.  I highly doubt he signed up for this expecting to play.  Is it possible that we could we have a second halftime retirement?

I'd take that ass-whipping for 3/4 of a million bucks. Of course, I don't already have several other million in the bank!

You're not the Berg of Colorado via OSU by any chance?

Just now, Simon said:

I'd take that ass-whipping for 3/4 of a million bucks. Of course, I don't already have several other million in the bank!

You're not the Berg of Colorado via OSU by any chance?

With the way they've been protecting QBs this year, you may just have a point.

I am actually the Berg of Buffalo my friend, sorry to disappoint