RIP Will Vinton - Claymation creator

ChevyVanMiller

44 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does that Christmas special ever air anymore?  I haven't seen it in ages.

the raisin thing got tagged as very very racist years ago, probably not a good thing in these times.... 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

the raisin thing got tagged as very very racist years ago, probably not a good thing in these times.... 

It's been ages so I don't remember where any of this outrage might have been focused.  Looking at the "special" bell in the video upthread, I'd imagine that people might take issue with that as well.  But at the same time, if we based everything off of today's so called sensibilities, I doubt we ever get Rudolph.  I don't want to live in a world without Rudolph.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's been ages so I don't remember where any of this outrage might have been focused.  Looking at the "special" bell in the video upthread, I'd imagine that people might take issue with that as well.  But at the same time, if we based everything off of today's so called sensibilities, I doubt we ever get Rudolph.  I don't want to live in a world without Rudolph.

i just want Gumby and Davy/Goliath recognized

Not clay... I always thought it was done in clay.  But impressive:

https://mashable.com/2014/12/06/rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer-tv-special-facts/#BSo5_ry8PiqF

9. It took 24 frames to create one second of filmed animation.

rudolph-bumble.gif

WOW!  The ***** over, lied to them, The Misfits in the original:

In the original special that aired in 1964, Rudolph, Hermey and Yukon Cornelius promise to return to visit Misfit Island, then never do so. This set fans into such a fuss that Rankin/Bass responded to their angry letters by changing the script. In 1965, the special included a short scene in which Santa and the reindeer deliver the Misfits to new homes.

• Like (+1) 1