McDermott hangs up on Schopp and Bulldog

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao.

A bit better? A bit better? Peterson is the worst QB in the history of the league. Tuel ***** on him. 

Salary cap my ass. They had plenty of cap. They completely misnhandled the position. Keep Tyrod or McCarron don't trade them away for mid round picks in favor of Peterman. 

Honest question, for once im not being a smart @$$...

For what? 6 wins instead of 4?

Most applauded the way the Bills stood pat and grabbed AJM for a much less than some perceived his value to be. 

Then he came in and looked like the 5th rd pick he was. If rumor is true and he wasnt going to be a good soldier and play mentor 3rd string after worsening his situation from the 2 in Cinn then its addition by subtraction. They, nor anyone else knew it would shake out like that. They then had a chance to get something back from a crummy situation. Sure, it left a mentor gap but so many want to act like AJM would have just accepted a demotion after expecting a promotion.  Even if he was the starter- he was a sacrificial lamb. Crappy qb on a crappy team. All that changes is rather than Allen playing now, we'd be calling for his shot. It may not have been different if they shelled out for Keenum instead of AJM except then we have people calling it a dumb waste of $$. Its a no win, because again, this team wasnt meant to go deep in the playoffs. It seems like a stepping stone to get to next year. To a certain extent, the names are interchangeable. AJM, TT, Keenum, take your pick. I doubt it matters

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao.

A bit better? A bit better? Peterson is the worst QB in the history of the league. Tuel ***** on him. 

Salary cap my ass. They had plenty of cap. They completely misnhandled the position. Keep Tyrod or McCarron don't trade them away for mid round picks in favor of Peterman. 

You're simply wrong about having plenty of cap. They didn't, particularly after Whaley screwed up the cap and even more so after they told the Pegulas they would clean up the cap by the end of this year.

They should've kept McCarron? Fair enough. If you think that would've been a big upgrade when he was the #3 guy in the competition here, I applaud your optimism.

As for Tyrod, he was too expensive. Would've cost 'em around $9 mill extra, and we're a team with $10 mill available, a team that like most teams likes to keep around $5 mill available to handle injury replacements. Not to mention that we're a team preparing for the long term and we knew Tyrod was not it. You don't spend a huge chunk of your before the season free cap on a guy who's a Band-aid, who you don't want long-term, for a year when the situation you're in means you're pretty certain to suck. 

And yes, a bit better. It's not like bringing in a guy who's still out there like Anderson is likely to make a big difference. This is a poor offense.

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lmao.

They had 10.6m in cap space at the end of 2017 and Taylor signed for a cap hit of 16m.  Not to mention needing to sign rookies.  How is that plenty.  And keeping TT would have accounted for 7.6m of that (well dead space numbers anyways).

I prefer them taking it in the teeth for a season and draft a bunch of offense next year to help the offense without moving around unless they can get players with the picks.  I'm not a capologist but I'm pretty sure the contract that were given to a hand full or so of players basically screwed the bills for a few years stemming from 2-3 seasons ago.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

They had 10.6m in cap space at the end of 2017 and Taylor signed for a cap hit of 16m.  Not to mention needing to sign rookies.  How is that plenty.  And keeping TT would have accounted for 7.6m of that (well dead space numbers anyways).

I prefer them taking it in the teeth for a season and draft a bunch of offense next year to help the offense without moving around unless they can get players with the picks.  I'm not a capologist but I'm pretty sure the contract that were given to a hand full or so of players basically screwed the bills for a few years stemming from 2-3 seasons ago.

Did we just become best friends??

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Just curious, doesn't he go on the show (in studio)for this segment?

The audio is crystal clear when normally when they call in you get that typical crappy talking in a wind tunnel audio.

I can't figure this out either. It's actually the AT&T hotline. Whenever McDermott or Sal are on it, it sounds like they are in studio. It's crystal clear. But when Murph is on it, it sounds like a regular phone call. What's the deal?

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Doesn't have a choice?  Going into the season with one QB and Peterman on the roster is a choice.  Prepping for week 2 with one QB on the roster and Peterman is a choice.  Prepping for week 3 with one QB on the roster and Peterman is a choice.  Prepping for week 4 with one QB on the roster and Peterman is a choice.  Waiting until week 5 to sign a second QB to the roster was a choice.

Right, but that's not what he meant, and you know it. The question is whether or not he has a choice THIS WEEK.

No, McD doesn't go into the studio to talk each Monday with Schopp & Bulldog.

He calls in to the station over a telephone line, as most, if not all guest appearances are done at the station.

S&B broadcast from "716" on Sabres home game days and then guests come to them at that location in person, that's about all I can think of that is not talking to them over the telephone.

Several things:

* McDermott is thin-skinned. He should be expecting questions like this.

* It was embarrassing hearing Bulldog try to twist his questions so they didn't sound critical, but in my opinion, that just makes the recipient feel more disrespected.

* My theory is that Schopp called McDermott afterwards to apologize. Because I think Schopp is actually a little kitty.

* I think McDermott is actually legitimately intimidated by Schopp. Which is pathetic, because Schopp is an insecure little kitty.

* This interview was full of subtle digs at Schopp along with obvious respect for Bulldog. It's obvious that McDermott is the type of person who treats you differently to prove a point and wants to maintain control by making people wonder where they stand.

5 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Several things:

* It was embarrassing hearing Bulldog try to twist his questions so they didn't sound critical, but in my opinion, that just makes the recipient feel more disrespected.

* My theory is that Schopp called McDermott afterwards to apologize. Because I think Schopp is actually a little kitty.

* I think McDermott is actually legitimately intimidated by Schopp. Which is pathetic, because Schopp is an insecure little kitty.

* This interview was full of subtle digs at Schopp along with obvious respect for Bulldog. It's obvious that McDermott is the type of person who treats you differently to prove a point and wants to maintain control by making people wonder where they stand.

Why?

This is bordering fan fiction

Somewhere McD is screaming "GET OUT OF MY HEAD"

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Several things:

I said way up thread that I thought Schopp ended up on the phone with McD, but not to apologize.  I think he may have tried to contact McD to say "What just happened?" and then got into it with him a little bit on the phone such that he missed the rest of Hour 3 of the show.

The conversation was not a lot different than normal IMO, though Schopp's very first question was pretty edgy and somewhat offensive.  "What is it that you see and like in Nathan Peterman that no one else does?"  or words to that effect.

That's kind of insulting, and Schopp does not take that type of tone with McD AT ALL.  He usually waits to talk about him on the show, but he doesn't go after him directly when he has the chance.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That's exactly what they thought.  And even after witnessing another dismal outing week 1 which should have erased any doubt about Peterman's ability to get the job done on Sunday they did nothing.  Weeks went by.  And now they're in a position where they may have to play Peterman and that's inexcusable in my opinion.

What you state here is Mike Schopp's personal battle cry.  He's been on this for so long Bulldog actually told him he was sick of talking about it recently.  

And it's 100% true.  It is shocking to me that Nate Peterman is still on the roster as of 10/16/2018.

Keep in mind there is not another team in the NFL that would put Peterman on their roster.

Not one.

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

I can't figure this out either. It's actually the AT&T hotline. Whenever McDermott or Sal are on it, it sounds like they are in studio. It's crystal clear. But when Murph is on it, it sounds like a regular phone call. What's the deal?

Right, but that's not what he meant, and you know it. The question is whether or not he has a choice THIS WEEK.

As was already explained to Tyrion, who found the idea laughable that McD finds his seat hotter and leash shorter for trotting out Peterman this week, it isn't just about the choice available this week. NO choice THIS week is NO excuse for reasons I have already detailed.  Carrying only one QB who is (debatably) ready to start a game and Peterman on your roster through week 5 is unacceptable.  Why would McD or Beane get a pass for being "forced" into having to play a QB who has repeatedly demonstrated that he doesn't belong on an NFL roster? 

I know there's a mysterious Process and I'm supposed to trust it implicitly, but: this team went into camp with AJM, Peterman, and Allen; traded AJM in August; named Peterman the starter; pulled the plug on Peterman after 30 minutes of play which once again showed he has no business playing in this league; decided to roll with the rookie rather than have him sit a year as originally planned; 5 weeks later decided maybe adding a 2nd NFL QB to the roster might be wise and a veteran presence might be a good thing for the rookie after all; and then was "forced" into a situation where Peterman might have to play again.  That isn't a long term plan, process, or even a lowly strategy.  That's a front office making it up as they go along which appears lost when it comes to evaluating the most important position in team sports. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Was Derek Anderson not available in August?  Not buying it.

Anderson, in a very recent interview (last week after signing) with the same WGR guys, did delicately allude to plans/circumstances (that eventually didn't work out) which prevented him from signing with anyone in the off-season. He was not specific about it, but clearly had some other situation he was prioritizing (until it fell through).

The one thing I picked up that may have pissed McDermott off besides the Peterman line of questioning is when he Schopp brought up the pass interference in the end zone implying the Bills don't throw it down the field enough.  There was then the snarky, "What are you asking?" question by McDermott.  It was a fun interview to listen too.

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I love how guys say “We should have picked up another QB” or “Should have signed that guy”. You understand it’s a two way street right? The “qualified” QB you speak of has to: 1) Want to play in the NFL or possibly retire (Derek Anderson) and 2) Want to play for the Bills or hold out for a possible starting gig and 3) There has to be an agreement re. $$.  You don’t just grab a QB like you grab a 6 pack of Milwaukee’s Best at 7-11. 

A 6 pack of Milwaukee's best is a very apt comparison for the Bills QBs.

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Because it's just a sponsorship. They aren't all calling from the same device or place. Paul Hamilton also calls in from the AT&T hotline, from all over. He has some headset crap he uses. Surely the idea this is just a sponsorship and they're just calling a number can't be jaw dropping. They aren't exchanging nuclear codes.

8 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No matter how much you wish, or spew dumb comments, unless McDermott quits, he will be the HC for at least three more seasons.

Buckle up, buttercup.

Really?

What if Allen is a bust?

7 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

All these idiot's do (Schoop ESPECIALLY) are ridicule the Bills organization and McDermott especially. Then they have the stupidity to do it leading up to his show! They have to know he's probably listening. Non-athletic asswipes who are clueless questioning an NFL headcoach? Yeah, I'd be pissed too and hang up! ?

They have the right to question how the team is being run.

8 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

All these idiot's do (Schoop ESPECIALLY) are ridicule the Bills organization and McDermott especially. Then they have the stupidity to do it leading up to his show! They have to know he's probably listening. Non-athletic asswipes who are clueless questioning an NFL headcoach? Yeah, I'd be pissed too and hang up! ?

Serious question, WHY SHOULDN'T THEY RIDUCLE THE BILLS ORGANIZATION?  The Bills have not been good and have made some bad decisions and continue to make bad decisions (Peterman still on roster).  I know Schoop is hard on callers but he tells it as it is and most Bills fans frustration is at it's limit.  If Allen does not become a franchise QB next year we are set back another 5 years.  The owners, coaches and GM should not be given any slack until they become a winner again.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Just happened so I don't have any links. But I found it very out of character for him. He didn't seem to appreciate questions about Peterman and how an offense should operate.

EDIT: I should state it wasn't mid interview. At the end where they do their regular closing - he hung up on them during the goodbyes. It was clearly intentional. Listen in the audio vault when available.

good for him, those clowns are dushnoodles.

• Like (+1) 1