Bills vs. Texans All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McDermott turned the offense from a pretty good unit into absolute *****.

And still won 2 more games than the all-star cast.  

Are you a FFL fan or a Bills' fan?

Subscription required for full access:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — When offensive coordinator Brian Daboll took his turn behind the microphone for his weekly press conference on Monday, he didn’t have a ton of answers.

The Bills had just lost 20-13 to the Texans in another game where the defense dominated but the offense laid an egg. How bad has the Bills’ offense been? Well, only the 2004 Mimi Dolphins had a worse first six games, according to Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric.

Now that Anderson is starting, Allen and Peterman will have a chance to take a step back and think about what they’ve done. Former University at Buffalo quarterback Joe Licata and I sat down with the film from the Texans game to see what went wrong for Allen and Peterman and what they can build on.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Still waiting for a breakdown of Allen's last play - the play right after he got injured.  He threw in the dirt towards Zay, and was clearly hobbled by that point.  But from my non-All 22 vantage point, Zay had a ton of room ahead of him and might have scored on the play, it would've been pretty epic.  Anyone have it?

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Ah, the old green dog from the cover 2 spy. How about some spider 2 y banana? Gotta love football geeks spouting the nomenclature. 

Thats honestly pretty easy to understand.

Green dog means if the back stays in to block he can rush, if not he picks up the back in coverage. Its a check...where he can blitz if its "green".

Cover 2 is cover 2...a basic coverage anyone who watches football should know. A spy is a spy. Again, anyone who watches football should know what that means.

Put it all together and its pretty simple terminology to understand.

Just now, matter2003 said:

Thats honestly pretty easy to understand.

Green dog means if the back stays in to block he can rush, if not he picks up the back in coverage. Its a check...where he can blitz if its "green".

Cover 2 is cover 2...a basic coverage anyone who watches football should know. A spy is a spy. Again, anyone who watches football should know what that means.

Put it all together and its pretty simple terminology to understand.

I know what it all means, but thanks for the edification none the less. 

Somebody should write a book about the evolution of football terminology. There really isn't much new under the sun, but coaches just can't resist renaming various concepts, etc. And I get a kick out of the football "pundits" who use the nomenclature in their tweets and other reports. 

What I noticed on one of the plays, the one Josh runs and takes a big hit, KB is running toward the back corner of the end zone while Allen is scrambling and all the other receivers are running parallel with him. While KB is looking back, he just keeps running toward the opposite back pylon rather than breaking off his route and running parallel with Allen and there was NOTHING between him and Allen - just wide open spaces. Of course the CB would have run with KB, but it's his job - WHILE HE'S LOOKING BACK - to adjust and run back toward the QB to give his guy a chance. I"m convinced had KB done that, Allen would have thrown to him since there was NOTHING in the middle of the field. And it wouldn't have had to be so far across his body either like the one to Shady. 

That's the stuff that separates the good WRs from the ones who don't appear to really care about making the play...KB was happy to just keep jogging toward the opposite side of the field from where his QB was running. And Allen broke away early, KB still had 10 yards before he went toward the end zone to make the adjustment. 

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The guy can coach.... certainly head and shoulders above Rex and his brother. Unfortunately he doesn't have a clue about offense. Hopefully Allen pans out and they figure out how to properly evaluate offensive talent. 

MCdermott has nothing to do with offensive scheme or play calling. He may have some say in personell decisions.

He fired the coordinator from last year and tried to upgrade.

So until we find a good coordinator or the players can perform within the scheme, the offense will suck, and it has little to do with McDermott on game days. He has to hire the right guy, though.

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

What I noticed on one of the plays, the one Josh runs and takes a big hit, KB is running toward the back corner of the end zone while Allen is scrambling and all the other receivers are running parallel with him. While KB is looking back, he just keeps running toward the opposite back pylon rather than breaking off his route and running parallel with Allen and there was NOTHING between him and Allen - just wide open spaces. Of course the CB would have run with KB, but it's his job - WHILE HE'S LOOKING BACK - to adjust and run back toward the QB to give his guy a chance. I"m convinced had KB done that, Allen would have thrown to him since there was NOTHING in the middle of the field. And it wouldn't have had to be so far across his body either like the one to Shady. 

That's the stuff that separates the good WRs from the ones who don't appear to really care about making the play...KB was happy to just keep jogging toward the opposite side of the field from where his QB was running. And Allen broke away early, KB still had 10 yards before he went toward the end zone to make the adjustment. 

There was already a throw open in the middle of the field with Clay when he continues his hook route up the middle seam - he's open at the 15, maybe not for a TD but at least positive yards.

Should KB have come back to help? Probably, but even if he had, I'm not sure it makes a difference on this play. He wouldn't have great separation and Allen would likely have to throw a jump ball across his body, against his momentum, and in the middle of the field (same throw as the Green Bay game). I like KB in that matchup for the jump ball, but the Clay throw was likely the better move. Watching it again, he could've even hit Benjamin earlier in the one-on-one matchup once he recognized the man coverage on the left and once he saw the outside DB sitting on the the bubble screen like route (can't tell the WR). That's a jump ball I'd take in all honesty, and he was looking that way the whole play before he started scrambling - if he steps up and puts a ball at the pylon on the outside where KB can go up and get it he's got a shot at his first passing TD since Minnesota...

KB also extended the play that got called back when Allen scrambled out to the left and hit him for that huge gain where holding was called, so he may not be running parallel with Allen every time (since he scrambles about 95% of the time after holding it for 3 plus seconds), but he does travel back to his QB or extend routes on occasion.

Edited by ctk232

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

I know what it all means, but thanks for the edification none the less. 

Somebody should write a book about the evolution of football terminology. There really isn't much new under the sun, but coaches just can't resist renaming various concepts, etc. And I get a kick out of the football "pundits" who use the nomenclature in their tweets and other reports. 

I think what has become really interesting are "concepts" that have evolved like route concepts, motion concepts, RPOs, etc...

Like one side of the field runs route combinations that are designed to beat man coverage and the other side runs route combinations designed to beat zone coverage. Then the QB decides what side of the field to throw to based on the coverage he gets, etc.

While these aren't new, the route combinations have gotten really advanced and varied as it has evolved and it becomes like an arms race...the D adjusts to what the O does and then the O comes back and readjust.

The chess match has never been more complex than what it is now.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think what has become really interesting are "concepts" that have evolved like route concepts, motion concepts, RPOs, etc...

Like one side of the field runs route combinations that are designed to beat man coverage and the other side runs route combinations designed to beat zone coverage. Then the QB decides what side of the field to throw to based on the coverage he gets, etc.

While these aren't new, the route combinations have gotten really advanced and varied as it has evolved and it becomes like an arms race...the D adjusts to what the O does and then the O comes back and readjust.

The chess match has never been more complex than what it is now.

Good stuff.