Keeping this defense together through Free Agency

Rubes

Loving the way this defense is playing, but the question is how we can keep this defense together over time given all of the needs on the offensive side of the ball. Presumably we will get some FA's on offense, but there's still the issue of who we have coming up as FA's on defense at the end of the season:

Kyle Williams

Lorenzo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Phillip Gaines

Eddie Yarbrough

...and Ramon Humber and a couple of other CBs.

Those are five pretty important players on this defense. Kyle is likely to retire, but he's still playing at a high level. Zo is also up there but playing well. And you have to like what Phillips and Yarbrough bring to the table. Gaines may not be back as CB unless he shows more this year, and if Humber sticks around it will be for backup money.

Do people expect that we'll be able to bring those four players back in FA and help maintain this level of defense for several more years? Or do the drastic needs on offense mean that one or more of them won't be back? I know we have a ton of cap space, but I don't have a sense of how much those players would take up. And if we lose Kyle and Zo, how much of an impact would that have?

I think Kyle is calling it after this season but if he wants to come back for one more year the team would certainly welcome him back on a similarly priced deal. I also think Lorax will be back on a modest deal as his versatility and intangibles are invaluable to the team. Those two veteran leaders I am certain will be back. As far as the rest I think the only one I think that might get priced out of the Bills is Jordan Phillips. If Phillips strong play continues throughout the year than I think he will want to test the market and might get an offer that makes him too expensive. 

The Bills don't have to worry about anyone but Phillips getting a huge offer in my opinion. While I would love to keep Phillips because he seems to be a monster up the middle who brings good energy to the team there are costs you have to cut. Although if Kyle retires the amount you can spend on Phillips has to go up. 

Kyle Williams - probably retire

Lorenzo Alexander - keep

Jordan Phillips - TBD

Phillip Gaines - walk

Eddie Yarbrough - walk or league minimum

Ramon Humber - walk

Nobody else of significance is up for free agency as far as I can tell.

• Like (+1) 2

The loss of Kyle will be big for several reasons. But It would be stunning for him to re up for another

year. He doesn't need the cash. More importantly and he would never say this. But, he has to be fed up

spinning his wheels for all these years under all the regime changes. And  not winning a darn thing.

Not even a division title....... 

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Loving the way this defense is playing, but the question is how we can keep this defense together over time given all of the needs on the offensive side of the ball. Presumably we will get some FA's on offense, but there's still the issue of who we have coming up as FA's on defense at the end of the season:

Kyle Williams

Lorenzo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Phillip Gaines

Eddie Yarbrough

Those are five pretty important players on this defense. Kyle is likely to retire, but he's still playing at a high level. Zo is also up there but playing well. And you have to like what Phillips and Yarbrough bring to the table. Gaines may not be back as CB unless he shows more this year, and if Humber sticks around it will be for backup money.

Do people expect that we'll be able to bring those four players back in FA and help maintain this level of defense for several more years? Or do the drastic needs on offense mean that one or more of them won't be back? I know we have a ton of cap space, but I don't have a sense of how much those players would take up. And if we lose Kyle and Zo, how much of an impact would that have?

Harrison was drafted to be a part of the answer to replace Kyle Williams and he looks the part.  Lorax is good but you do have to believe age will catch him at some point, IMO he is replaceable.  It’s still early to see how consistent Phillips may be but he may be resigned by the club,  Gaines and Yarbrough are more like rotational players that are replaceable.  Phillips may be the only name on that list that the Bills aggressively pursue.  Keep in mind they do have a ton of cap space next year and a good number of draft picks.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Kyle Williams

Lorenzo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Phillip Gaines

Eddie Yarbrough

The last three on that list are role players that can be replaced.  Jordan Phillips has the potential to be much more than that.  I think the Billdhave ample cap space to re-sign if they want.  At some point Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander will retire, and after this season is a real possibility for both.  I think Harrison Phillips has the potential to play a Kyle Williams like role as a starter next year.  Alexander would have to be replaced by bringing in a player from outside the organization.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Well that seems to be what the majority here want, anyway.

neglect the defense totally and build nothing but offense.

Or you know build just even a competent offense.

but you know, you always go to the extreme. but since we are here. 

Top 5 defenses in Yards given Up per game:

Baltimore

Jax

Buffalo

GB

Dallas

Overall record 14-14-1

Top 5 offenses in yards gained per game

LAR

TB

NO

KC
PITT

Overall record 20-8-1

Great defense gets you .500

The only must re-sign is Jordan Phillips IMHO.  If LorAx wants to come back at a reasonable deal, I’d do it but I’d look for his replacement in free agency. Same for the other guys, who are mostly back ups.

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Kyle is calling it after this season but if he wants to come back for one more year the team would certainly welcome him back on a similarly priced deal. I also think Lorax will be back on a modest deal as his versatility and intangibles are invaluable to the team. Those two veteran leaders I am certain will be back. As far as the rest I think the only one I think that might get priced out of the Bills is Jordan Phillips. If Phillips strong play continues throughout the year than I think he will want to test the market and might get an offer that makes him too expensive. 

The Bills don't have to worry about anyone but Phillips getting a huge offer in my opinion. While I would love to keep Phillips because he seems to be a monster up the middle who brings good energy to the team there are costs you have to cut. Although if Kyle retires the amount you can spend on Phillips has to go up. 

Tbh we need J Phillips pass rush in the middle. If his play continues I hope we can retain him. I'm more worried about when Tre's rookie contract is up...even if it isn't until 2020.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

The only must re-sign is Jordan Phillips IMHO.  If Laura ask wants to come back at a reasonable deal, I’d do it but I’d look for his replacement in free agency. Same for the other guys, who are mostly back ups.

I think Lorax and Kyle bring veteran leadership to the defense and help them with a young MLB calling out plays and coverage, that will be difficult to replace. I've seen a few key veteran plays this year from both that were absolutely needed. Idk how he's doing it, but Lorax is definitely contributing beyond his own tip drill INT yesterday.

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Kyle Williams

Lorenzo Alexander

Jordan Phillips

Phillip Gaines

Eddie Yarbrough

Kyle Williams was considering retirement last year, and I just can't see him coming back.  He's not the consistently disruptive player we've seen throughout his career, and at some point he must realize this team is too far away from contention.  Fortunately, with the way Harrison Phillips is playing, I don't see this being a big issue.  Kyle will be missed more because of leadership.

Lorenzo Alexander is still playing at a very high level, and likes being here.  As long as he keeps it up, the Bills will probably just keep giving him 1 year deal. 

Jordan Phillips and Eddie Yarborough are decent depth players, who shouldn't command big contracts.  It shouldn't be tough to bring either of them back.  Phillip Gaines and Ramon Humber are replaceable.

Bottom line, the defense should be in good shape for the next few years.  I certainly wouldn't recommend ignoring that side of the ball completely.  But I think we can feel confident enough to invest most of our upcoming picks/cap space into the offense.  The exception would be finding a #2 cornerback to play across from Tre'Davious White.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The only must re-sign is Jordan Phillips IMHO.  If Laura ask wants to come back at a reasonable deal, I’d do it but I’d look for his replacement in free agency. Same for the other guys, who are mostly back ups.

If Lorax continues his strong play I think the Bills have to bring him back as long as his demands are relatively in line with his production. Lorax is a versatile player who can be moved all around the front 7 and is a key pass rusher pretty much all over the defense. Add in his veteran presence and I think he would be a considerable loss for the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Tbh we need J Phillips pass rush in the middle. If his play continues I hope we can retain him. I'm more worried about when Tre's rookie contract is up...even if it isn't until 2020.

If Kyle retries at the end of the season (Which I think he will) Phillips becomes a bigger priority to resign. Phillips through 2 games has brought a lot of energy and pressure to the defense. I think the Bills price they can afford Phillips at is certainly much higher if Kyle doesn't come back for one more year. Granted if Kyle comes back then I think you still want Phillips back but maybe your price point is lowered a little big as you would have 3 decent to good players on the roster at DT and you need to spend on the offensive side of the ball. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

People need to stop looking at the age in regards to Kyle Williams.  He is still obviously playing at a very high level and he would have retired two years ago if it was up to some of you.  Some guys just have more longevity than others and he appears to be one of them.  I see no reason as of yet why we shouldn't be trying to bring him back next year as part of the rotation.

In regards to this defense I think we should try to bring both Kyle and Alexander back for another year and try to find a another #1 corner to play on the other side of Tredavious.  If the Patrick Peterson rumors are true we should be all over that.  Hughes is playing the best ball of his career and with the natural progression of Edmunds, I think we could have the best defense in the league with another top notch corner. 

Hughes, Williams/Phillips Star/Phillips Murphy/Lawson/Lorax

Milano Edmunds Johnson/Lorax

White Poyer Hyde Peterson

That is a defense right there.  Put that on the field and go all out offense in free agency and the draft.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

25 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If Kyle retries at the end of the season (Which I think he will) Phillips becomes a bigger priority to resign. Phillips through 2 games has brought a lot of energy and pressure to the defense. I think the Bills price they can afford Phillips at is certainly much higher if Kyle doesn't come back for one more year. Granted if Kyle comes back then I think you still want Phillips back but maybe your price point is lowered a little big as you would have 3 decent to good players on the roster at DT and you need to spend on the offensive side of the ball. 

Honestly, Kyle doesn't deserve it in the least, but I'd rather pay J Phillips (at his current performance) than Kyle next year given purely objective cap concerns. And as long as J Phillips doesn't demand Kyle's salary - which he isn't worth that much. Nonetheless, his pass rush presence is something we need to help Hughes out.