Allen will never develop under Mcdermott

LFC24

I am close to falling into the "screw the process" category.  With a raw talented rookie QB, Allen should have been tutored by a QB guru from day 1.  Should have hired an OC that has shown NFL success with young QBs.  A true get QB should have been here day 1.  Quality vet WRs should have been added.  ....and so on and so on.  Too many issues to list.

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

These defensive minded coaches should never be allowed to coach a team that doesn't have a 5 year veteran franchise QB.  They'll never develop a young QB.  Look at what defensive genius Belichick did in NE.  He took this young QB, was very conservative with him the 1st year he started & ruined the guy.  It's been 17 years since anyone remembers that kid Tom Brady that Belichick made disappear.  

Bill Cowher was a DC and seemed to do just fine with Big Ben.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

nah, I've been punished for doing it. so, I'll pass. It's not the posting i missed but the easy, aggregated news reading.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been on this board for along time, much longer then my profile says---had problems with my account back with one of the server upgrades, so I just created a new account. Maybe I'm too hard on the new members but we've seen dark times worse than this----we might get there but too early to panic yet.

10 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Bill Cowher was a DC and seemed to do just fine with Big Ben.

Yeah Bill didn't have much to do with that.   He just ran a great defense, and Ben took his lumps-- averaged about 160 yards a game.  17 TD throws and 11 picks on the season.

Getting that first year under your belt is a necessary evil though.   I'm sure he was questioned like we're doing to Josh.   

It's all about the weapons right now.  Tyreek and Antonio Brown were late round draft picks, we need to find a gem somewhere in the draft that outperforms his draft status.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's actually a maddening combination of factors. McDermott knows little about offense. That is abundantly clear by several mind-boggling choices. But worse, Daboll has zero experience in successfully grooming a young QB - AND - McDermott hired a QB coach who not only never developed a young QB but is not even a QB coach. And they surrounded him with Nate Peterman.

So HC, plus OC plus QB coach plus no veteran QB (until now) with no history or experience in doing the one thing crucial to a young raw talented rookie QB is criminal.

Add in the limited investment in the offense while spending three of the top four picks on defense as well as good money in UFA on Star and Murphy. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

These defensive minded coaches should never be allowed to coach a team that doesn't have a 5 year veteran franchise QB.  They'll never develop a young QB.  Look at what defensive genius Belichick did in NE.  He took this young QB, was very conservative with him the 1st year he started & ruined the guy.  It's been 17 years since anyone remembers that kid Tom Brady that Belichick made disappear.  

First of all, Brady is the best QB of all time, stop comparing every god damn situation to Brady and the patriots. 

Second of all, he had plenty of help. New England has had some top class OC's in his time there, so your point is literally wrong and irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah Bill didn't have much to do with that.   He just ran a great defense, and Ben took his lumps-- averaged about 160 yards a game.  17 TD throws and 11 picks on the season.

Getting that first year under your belt is a necessary evil though.   I'm sure he was questioned like we're doing to Josh.   

It's all about the weapons right now.  Tyreek and Antonio Brown were late round draft picks, we need to find a gem somewhere in the draft that outperforms his draft status.  

This exactly where I was trying to go with the Bill Cowher reference as Ben and Josh are very much alike IMO at the position. 

Myself personally, I think McD was forced into starting Allen much earlier then he had planned because of the Beane heads mistakes.

With that being said I'm very happy a more conservative run heavy approach is being utilized in the on field development of Allen and believe McD may have had allot to do with it IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, I think McD was forced into starting Allen much earlier then he had planned because of the Beane heads mistakes.

With that being said I'm very happy a more conservative run heavy approach is being utilized in the on field development of Allen and believe McD may have had allot to do with it IMO. 

They work in concert and I find it hard to absolve either one of blame for the state of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think that goes back to McDermott and staff trying to be cute thinking Peterman was the next low draft star QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thats how I drink whiskey.

I blame the Bills!  

I have to go check to be sure, but I’m thinking McD isn’t our only coach. Now, is Daboll, Culley or someone else the right guy? That is yet to be seen, but there’s no reason why a QB can’t learn just because the HC leans toward defense. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

The hot takes and overreaction on this board in the days following a loss are cringe worthy. 

Six (6) games in and Bills are averaging 12.7 ppg. 

Last two games right at 13 points. 

Overreaction? Or just the realization that Culture is not overcoming the talent gap?

2 hours ago, fridge said:

I'm not really a big fan of the whole "pitchforks on a monday after a loss crowd" ... but consecutive 80 yard passing games in 2018 is a hell of a lot more cringe worthy to me.

The creepy thing is I actually think McDermott thinks he knows what he's doing.  He strikes me as a stubborn guy.  Great leaders are willing to look to others for advice and are usually masters of delegation and empowering others around them to be successful.

I wasn’t trying to imply that I am not worried about Josh Allen working out, because I am. I can’t say that I have much confidence in him at the moment. 

As as far as McDermott, I don’t really get that impression. I do think he can be stubborn in some aspects, like any coach in any sport. But I think he does look to other for advise and does delegate power. Just a few examples off the top of my head - 

He was a successful DC and decided against calling plays here in Buffalo (a lot of rookie head coaches call plays on the side of the ball they’re familiar with), and when he did call plays for that second half of game 2 he gave the play-calling right back to Frazier the next game, even though the defense has struggled up to that point (and the defense has bend lights out ever since, which IMO kind of speaks to empowering his coaches to be successful). He gave Frazier the game ball and all of the credit for the game plan after beating the Vikings next game, too. That is what a leader does IMO - takes all the blame and deflects all of the praise/success. 

He recognized he was a rookie head coach and made it a point to hire an experienced coaching staff and has said many times how much he leans on them. 

He has preached about every decision being a collaborative effort since he was hired. From game plans to roster decisions etc. 

He’s talked about how he is always trying to learn and grow/adapt many times, too. 

I remember reading a story when he was first hired about how he carries a notebook everywhere he goes and is constantly asking other (retired and active) NFL coaches, execs, players etc for advise or trying to pick their brain.

There was another similar story from when he was first hired, about how he went out to dinner with the Super Bowl era Bills players, and they were saying how he had his little notepad out all night, asking them questions and writing down everything. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Six (6) games in and Bills are averaging 12.7 ppg. 

Last two games right at 13 points. 

Overreaction? Or just the realization that Culture is not overcoming the talent gap?

Yes, I would say that definitively stating that after a whole 5 games Josh Allen will never possibly develop under Sean McDermott is an overreaction. 

I think we all know that the talent is clearly lacking on this roster. I never expected culture to be able to fully overcome this lack of talent and massive dead cap space. 

But we are seeing a team that fights tooth and nail until the end of every game. We aren’t seeing that “woe is me, here we go again” Bills team of the drought era. That alone is a pretty big achievement for this franchise and city... lol. 

I could argue that there probably aren’t many coaches in the NFL getting more from less than Sean McDermott is. 

This is a rebuild, whether they directly say it or not. IMO We have to at least wait until they start building the team up next season before we can truly judge anything. 

So far they have focused on the defensive side of the ball and that seems to be working out pretty damn well. The Bills are one of the best defenses in the NFL which is all the more impressive IMO with the rookies we have starting at key positions. 

am very encouraged by their ability to piece together a very good defense without very many big names or big contracts.

Now we need to see them make some progress on offense. 

I am not going to lie and say I am not worried about the offense. But I know that they are fully aware of the lack of talent on offense, and I am willing to give them a chance to address it before I write them off as failures. 

Edited by BillsFan4