Tampa Bay fires DC Mike Smith

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

......tough to figure out why..........

Ian Rapoport on Twitter

"Running antiquated, vanilla schemes, Smith's defense was getting gutted for 440 yards per game, a number that would be by far the worst in the league if not for the Chiefs. They are on pace to allow the most points in NFL history."

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Coming soon to a team near you. Middle of October; seems about right to begin the annual ritual of a HC offering up a coordinator for sacrifice. 

Daboll may not survive the week.  I think it is unlikley McD will fire him, but it would not shock me.  This move has been coming in Tampa for a couple of weeks - highly speculated. 

Edited by FLFan
spelling

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Dabol may not survive the week.  I think it is unlikley McD will fire him, but it would not shock me.  This move has been coming in Tampa for a couple of weeks - highly speculated. 

Serious question.  What OC with any talent at his job would take the Bills OC job right now?

I would wager even Daboll would not if asked today.

Maybe McDermott can follow suit here and fire our OC.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Serious question.  What OC with any talent at his job would take the Bills OC job right now?

Well an OC might not take the job as a lateral type of move, but how about an up and coming offensive coach that is trying to make a name for himself?  

Like the OL coach somewhere or a WR coach somewhere...that guy would take the job.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

You are not going to find anyone to come in mid-year and there is no way you changing basic systems. The theory would be to shake it up, get a different voice on that side of the ball, perhaps modify the offensive play calling more to the HC's liking - lots of reasons.  It would fall to someone on the staff.  My guess would be Robiskie.  As I said, I am not predicting this or advocating - it just would not shock me.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think a position coach looking to move up would take the job in a heart beat.  But that probably wouldn't happen mid year unless the position coach was from a staff that was let go when the HC was fired in the off season.  Not sure how many good ones are sitting around unemployed right now.

5 minutes ago, FLFan said:

You are not going to find anyone to come in mid-year and there is no way you changing basic systems. The theory would be to shake it up, get a different voice on that side of the ball, perhaps modify the offensive play calling more to the HC's liking - lots of reasons.  It would fall to someone on the staff.  My guess would be Robiskie.  As I said, I am not predicting this or advocating - it just would not shock me.

I know a lot of positional coaches would jump on the chance.  I'm saying that no proven OC would.

Robiskie might be worth a shot though his OC experience has not been stellar either.

I guess my point is that if you have no talent on an offense how can you actually judge the coaching and play calling?

I mean the "professional" players can't even line up correctly and stop holding.

I'm still neutral on Daboll for this reason.  I know that goes against most of the board.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Maybe McDermott can follow suit here and fire our OC.

Well an OC might not take the job as a lateral type of move, but how about an up and coming offensive coach that is trying to make a name for himself?  

Like the OL coach somewhere or a WR coach somewhere...that guy would take the job.

Most likely they'd just promote Robiskie or Castillo to OC and we'd all call for their heads by this time next week.

They're not about to hire someone that's currently with another team/on the market in the middle of the year.