NFL Rules - Horse Collar

ngbills

Just now, ngbills said:

Not all NFL rules make sense but how is a horse collar tackle illegal but grabbing a guy by the hair is not? Face mask is illegal but grabbing by the hair is not? Makes no sense if the rule is out of concern for player safety. 

Hair is considered part of the jersey with respect to tackling, and it’s on the player whether or not he chooses to take the risk. 

Just now, B-Large said:

because you can cut your hair, can't play without facemask or pads

This, its an aesthetic choice. If hair was now a horse collar it would be a strategic advantage to have Fabio hair down to the ass blocking your jersey and pads , people would just grab a fistful of hair and get a penalty

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PolishPrince said:

This, its an aesthetic choice. If hair was now a horse collar it would be a strategic advantage to have Fabio hair down to the ass blocking your jersey and pads , people would just grab a fistful of hair and get a penalty

pretty simple.  It used to be illegal but they changed the rule exactly for that reason

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I think a horse collar also includes grabbing the jersey.

no it does not.

The horse collar is only suppose to be called if player gets his hands inside the pads at the neck area and pulls player down from behind.

Players have grabbed the jersey nameplate and pulled the player down from behind and that is suppose to not be a horse collar and it usually is not. Only called when the official mistakes that for having hand inside pads at back of neck area.

What Ivory and others need are breakaway extensions so defensive player effectively grabs air if he goes for the dreads.

3 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

pretty simple.  It used to be illegal but they changed the rule exactly for that reason

5 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

It is obvious if someone tackles and hair gets in the way vs grabbing/yanking someone down by the hair. Thats like with facemasking - there is difference between grabbing by the facemask and the facemask touching you. 

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

no it does not.

The horse collar is only suppose to be called if player gets his hands inside the pads at the neck area and pulls player down from behind.

Players have grabbed the jersey nameplate and pulled the player down from behind and that is suppose to not be a horse collar and it usually is not. Only called when the official mistakes that for having hand inside pads at back of neck area.

What Ivory and others need are breakaway extensions so defensive player effectively grabs air if he goes for the dreads.

The first year of the ban, only two penalties were called by referees for the horse-collar tackle. Owners voted 25–7 in 2006 to expand the rule to include tackles by the back of the jersey in addition to tackles by the shoulder pads.

• Like (+1) 1

I get the idea that its part of the person, and not equipment. However, they implemented the horse collar rule for player safety...therefore, hair should be included imo. I think snatching a player by the hair is even more dangerous than horse collar in terms of whiplash. Either way, that was a ****ty way to tackle a guy

6 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I get the idea that its part of the person, and not equipment. However, they implemented the horse collar rule for player safety...therefore, hair should be included imo. I think snatching a player by the hair is even more dangerous than horse collar in terms of whiplash. Either way, that was a ****ty way to tackle a guy

Exactly. It should be a player safety issue like so many other rules. I think instinctively players already dont grab guys hair or we would see it more. Just make it a rule.  

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The first year of the ban, only two penalties were called by referees for the horse-collar tackle. Owners voted 25–7 in 2006 to expand the rule to include tackles by the back of the jersey in addition to tackles by the shoulder pads.

I see that they made a change. You are correct. Thanks.

So player can no longer grab the nameplate, must be below the nameplate and/or effectively on the numbers then.

Interesting that runner in tackle box and QB are exempt from the horse collar but that also makes sense.

Edited by cba fan

26 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

The tackle on Ivory sure looked as bad as a horse collar.  If they're so concerned about safety, they should revisit it.

33 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Don’t give them ideas, they have ruined the sport way too much already

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The tackle on Ivory sure looked as bad as a horse collar.  If they're so concerned about safety, they should revisit it.

Or if you are concerned, cut your hair

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

It is obvious if someone tackles and hair gets in the way vs grabbing/yanking someone down by the hair. Thats like with facemasking - there is difference between grabbing by the facemask and the facemask touching you. 

Well no crap. I am saying if you have long flowing hair across the back of your jersey, and its a penalty to pull down by hair... gonna be hard to grab that jersey through the hair without pulling the hair...

• Like (+1) 1