I sincerely don't get all of the negativity.....

warrior9

I agree there's a lot to like about what McD has done with this team. I'm still a believer. 

However, most fans care about two things more than everything else put together: the coach and QB. Our coach hand picked our QB, and right now that QB looks like the worst player in all of football (except for maybe his back up who was also hand picked by the coach). It's only natural there will be some backlash.

We need to give this team until end of next year to know what we have. Given what we've seen so far, my guess is that we'll have a pretty good, playoff caliber team on our hands. Our defense is already there. But it all comes back to Allen. If McD whiffed on that kid, none of it matters and we'll be on to the next coach.  

Edited by VW82

33 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What has Allen done that makes you like him?

(1) He appears to give a crap, which so many of his predecessors through their body language alone, did not; (2) his ceiling in terms of his raw physical QB tools are off the charts, highest probably ever for a Bill; (3) His leadership quotient, intangibles are clearly present in how he commands the huddle, interacts with his D teammates, revs up the crowd; (3) Ability to bounce back mentally from bad throws, hits (extent of current injury unknown, notwithstanding); (4) Work ethic; (5) Moves athletically very similar to Steve Young; (5) "Minnesota Leap" shows he is willing to lay it out for his team and take advantage of the pieces around him clicking; (6) Despite missing some progressions as part of his rookie development, he has been able to hit his WR's on target plenty of times, but suffers from a targets to drops ratio of over 11% and otherwise all around poor anemic WR play (basement of the league bad). Take away the endemic drops, and he's on track. (7) He offers HOPE given the complete package. Let me flip the table and simply state that we haven't seen enough or surrounded him with sufficient resources to be able to write him off as the 2nd coming of Todd Collins. And all of this without the benefit of a proven QB mentor or capable OC in his corner to help him along, unlike these guys who might sound familiar: http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/32623/sitting-behind-a-legendary-quarterback-means-learning-from-the-best   

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, In Nate We Trust said:

The Bills are 2-4 and the schedule gets a lot easier with a ton of home games.  Playoffs still a real shot. They beat Indy and they easily could be 9-7 or even 10-6. Go Bills.

...........and Nate Peterman is leading the Bills there, right.

5 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Kinda sick of rebuilding for the past twenty years

I understand. I try to compartmentalize the regimes so that I don't always have to think about the previous ones failing. And remember that at the end of the day whether they win or lose will not change the course of my life (or yours) or even the weekend for that matter--other than Sunday afternoons. 

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

(1) He appears to give a crap, which so many of his predecessors through their body language alone, did not; (2) his ceiling in terms of his raw physical QB tools are off the charts, highest probably ever for a Bill; (3) His leadership quotient, intangibles are clearly present in how he commands the huddle, interacts with his D teammates, revs up the crowd; (3) Ability to bounce back mentally from bad throws, hits (extent of current injury unknown, notwithstanding); (4) Work ethic; (5) Moves athletically very similar to Steve Young; (5) "Minnesota Leap" shows he is willing to lay it out for his team and take advantage of the pieces around him clicking; (6) Despite missing some progressions as part of his rookie development, he has been able to hit his WR's on target plenty of times, but suffers from a targets to drops ratio of over 11% and otherwise all around poor anemic WR play (basement of the league bad). Take away the endemic drops, and he's on track. (7) He offers HOPE given the complete package. Let me flip the table and simply state that we haven't seen enough or surrounded him with sufficient resources to be able to write him off as the 2nd coming of Todd Collins. And all of this without the benefit of a proven QB mentor or capable OC in his corner to help him along, unlike these guys who might sound familiar: http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/32623/sitting-behind-a-legendary-quarterback-means-learning-from-the-best   

(1) Fitzpatrick really cared about this team and this area. Tyrod Taylor was a consummate professional.

(2) Size, Arm - The main reason he was drafted. 

(3) Okay, pumping up the crowd. 

(3) Okay

(4) Does Josh Allen's work ethic tangibly set him apart from any other starting QB, or top tier QB's in the league?

(5) Alright, runs in a manner that reminds you of Steve Young. 

(5) Yes, the Minnesota leap was hyper-athletic from a QB. 

(6) Okay drops of 11% of 25ish throws a game, means 2 more completions a game, nudging him. That's 85/139 instead of 75/139, 61% verses 54%.

(7) Hope mixed with not enough Coordinator/Coach help. This reminds me of 2013 EJ Manuel - Marrone was a rookie HC with Nate Hackett was a rookie OC, doubling as the QB Coach, EJ had to compete against UDRFA Jeff Tuel and Practice Squad journeyman Thad Lewis after Cardinals burnout Kevin Kolb slipped on a wet mat.  

For me the early returns are exactly what the Scouting Reports said he would be. 

I want him to keep playing. If its 82 yards, just keep playing. With EJ, had the Bills seen enough at the end of 2013 to know he wasn't the answer, they could have drafted Derek Carr or Bridgewater and been on their way. Instead another wasted year in 2014 with the Bills trading up for Watkins to help Manuel and that experiment lasted all of four games. 

The last thing I want to see is Allen getting pulled, putting in Anderson to eat games, then putting Allen in for 2019 after spending FA money and draft picks, just to get 5 games in and he can't play, gets pulled again. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

The truth is that it is depressing to have your team's season over by the end of October. Over 40+ years that many of us have been fans, we have seen this type of ineptitude for over 30 of these years. I've witnessed bad Bills teams with no chance at the playoffs at least 35 times in my life. I've seen great Bills teams 5 times and good Bills playoff teams 4-6 times. That's 75% of our football life wasted on crappy teams that are losers. Most of us are sick of it and long for something to cheer for. 

We thought we turned the corner with Marrone only to dive back in the hole with Rex. We thought the McBeane team was going to be competitive, only to see the horror show they trot out on offense. It's virtually unwatchable football, yet as a true Bills fan you tune into the torture no matter what every week, every year, over and over and over. We deserve something better than what we are seeing this year.

• Like (+1) 3

Listen I just fundamentally don't give a crap about the big picture. I care about enjoying Sundays, and let the big picture be Beane's job. I love the Bills and a good hard fought win. And we're clearly going places because we are already capable of it with at least a rudimentary offense. And we're in a position to have a better than rudimentary offense. And i'm looking forward fast forwarding 8 months.

I'm just impatient.

7 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Listen I just fundamentally don't give a crap about the big picture. I care about enjoying Sundays, and let the big picture be Beane's job. I love the Bills and a good hard fought win. And we're clearly going places because we are already capable of it with at least a rudimentary offense. And we're in a position to have a better than rudimentary offense. And i'm looking forward fast forwarding 8 months.

I'm just impatient.

Is this your approach to family and the work front as well? Kinda frightening. 

11 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Exactly.... 

here's my thought... If you explain this to a person WITHOUT using a team name.. People would love to be in this situation.

Seemingly top 3 secondary (with a second year CB that is most likely a future All-Pro)

A 20 year old stud at MLB (and Milano growing into a nice player)

A young DT that has played well above where he was drafted and has been very impressive

A left tackle that is young and improving with every game

A young first round QB (and this regime believes it's their guy)

80+ Million in cap space next year

10(i believe) draft picks

No Oline, trading Glenn because Dawkins can play tackle also

The QB situation

No WR's for a year and a half

The Benjamin trade

Ths best offensive play maker and athlete being a 30 year old RB

Building the team the way they appear to.

Good defense, and awful offense constructed around the run for 2 years now. Coming in and effing up the run game.

For as well as they have done defensively, and we'll see if it is sustainable. They have offset that by mismanaging the offense and at an amazing clip.

I just look at the offense and they don't even have athletes at skill positions outside of McCoy and Allen. Everyone else is average to below average by NFL standards. I don't want to watch an offense of 5'11 4.6 guys, not at all. Hopefully the offense improves, but it is totally reasonable to question their ability.

They have only torn down on the offense and not done anything to build at all outside of Dawkins and Allen. And Allen is very much a question mark going forward.

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is this your approach to family and the work front as well? Kinda frightening. 

No because my family and work aren't entertainment. I'm annoyed we suck literally my only off day to unwind. And i'll be EXTREMELY annoyed if Beane is going nowhere with this. But I have no control over it, so until then I root for winning the Superbowl because I'm watching my favorite team in my favorite sport.

I have control over my family and work front, I don't over a commercia league run by billionaires and star athletes and millionaire GMS.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I want him to keep playing. If its 82 yards, just keep playing. With EJ, had the Bills seen enough at the end of 2013 to know he wasn't the answer, they could have drafted Derek Carr or Bridgewater and been on their way. Instead another wasted year in 2014 with the Bills trading up for Watkins to help Manuel and that experiment lasted all of four games. 

Well, unfortunately for Raiders fans, Carr has regressed badly.  Rappoport was talking about players on trading block and I was surprised he mentioned Carr.   I guess Gruden likes McCarron.  Carr though was ready to play when he joined the NFL. Unfortunately for us, Allen is not.

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I totally get it..... but some moves should be weighted more than others. their decisions for the qb spots since training camp have been atrocious. Peterman taking anymore snaps is inexcusable. 

I like most of whats been done. I absolutely hate how they've handled the qb's.

Are QBs important in the game of football?

While I like the OPs optimism it's very difficult for most fans to see considering that Texans game was very winnable...and yet it was lost by the backup QB who was the supposed starter going into the season. 

We Bills fans have seen this offensive ineptitude with Chan Gailey in that he states that QBs Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trent Edwards and Brian Brohm are all about equal and any one could emerge as the starter in preseason. Gailey named Edwards the starter and he was so terrible he was outright cut after two starts. Fitz took over and literally ran for his life the first half of the 0-8 2010 season.  Brohm got his shot and he was worse then Edwards. 

The point here is that Gailey couldn't tell jack **** about any of the QB's watching them in practice and it looks like Daboll is in the very same boat. The big difference is that Gailey could actually setup a functioning offense with not much to go with. Although he never did better then 6-10 in Buffalo primarily because of bad defenses. He did manage to allow Fitz to become a 3000+ yard passer, Stevie Johnson a 1000+ yard receiver and Spiller a 1200+ yard rusher. 

My take is the primary problem with the offense is the OC in Brian Daboll who has never had an offense better than top 25 with many different QBs. Juan Castillo the run game coordinator/line coach is another problem with that offensive line/run game that isn't anywhere near as good as it's been the last few seasons.   

The way this coaching staff has bungled the QB situation is difficult for Bills fans to deal with as Allen was supposed to sit and learn like Mahomes. Now because Peterman is so bad they might have to start the rookie with an injury which could end up ruining this players career. All that effort to move up to the #7 spot might be wasted.

This season didn't need to be a rebuild year "if" only a proper experienced veteran QB had been on the roster day one. The offensive line and WR corps were better and lastly the offense being the worst in the NFL because the OC didn't utilize the offenses best player in McCoy for a lot of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, sleeby said:

OP - I think it's ego and testosterone based mainly.  The odds that any given rookie QB will become a major franchise QB and see SBs is well under 50% - obviously.  So, going in early and trashing him is the safe bet for future 'told ya so" and generally I'm more NFL knowledged than you.

No one can predict anything after 5 games with this offense.  Just a bunch of boys who like pissing matches is all.  Very annoying though.

Or maybe some of us watch college football and realized he wasn't that good. He was completely shut down against quality opponents, and nothing has changed. When he misses, it isn't even close and there doesn't seem to be any improvement on his footwork. Add to that his tendency to roll to the sides instead of step up and you get poor play.