The Answer is Sitting in Tampa Bay

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Continue to play Allen to allow him to gain valuable experience and grow through his issues. He needs as many snaps as possible.  Build a much better supporting cast in the offseason via the draft and UFA.  That's what they have to do.  Any suggestions of Fitz, Foles, or any other older backup QB make no sense given the investment made in Allen. 

I don’t completely disagree, but what if he gets hurt? Completely unravels? Needs to take a seat for the sake of not completely ruining his development?

Peterman is no longer a real option so are we all really comfortable with Derek Anderson?  If the defense keeps playing like this we simply can’t accept 85 yards passing. Allen is the future (hopefully) but you can’t dismiss everybody else and their efforts if he continues to struggle like he is.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, the arguments for him back then were that he had no good players around him.  He had them with the Bucs and still fell off a cliff.

Exactly. Make no mistake, I don't want him back though he's an all around solid dude but there's no way he replicates what he did there with this bunch.

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

Exactly. Make no mistake, I don't want him back though he's an all around solid dude but there's no way he replicates what he did there with this bunch.

He replicated it against us with a much worse Jets team one time. 

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

I don’t completely disagree, but what if he gets hurt? Completely unravels? Needs to take a seat for the sake of not completely ruining his development?

Peterman is no longer a real option so are we all really comfortable with Derek Anderson?  If the defense keeps playing like this we simply can’t accept 85 yards passing. Allen is the future (hopefully) but you can’t dismiss everybody else and their efforts if he continues to struggle like he is.

If he's hurt, there's nothing to discuss.  A 35 year old Derek Anderson isn't going to play well.  Let him be what he was brought here to be as the mentor and veteran example for Allen.  Allen should learn by doing. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he's hurt, there's nothing to discuss.  A 35 year old Derek Anderson isn't going to play well.  Let him be what he was brought here to be as the mentor and veteran example for Allen.  Allen should learn by doing. 

I don’t understand your answer, sorry. What do you mean there’s nothing to discuss if he gets hurt? Like we just forfeit the season or something? He is hurt, and I’m not at all comfortable with Derek Anderson and I guess Logan Thomas (?) behind him.

50 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No it isn't.  Besides, he's their insurance plan in case Wentz gets injured. 

No way is a smart organization trading a competent backup. The Bills are example A of a team with no backup. 

Ideally, you want a guy with some experience who can get you to 2-2 over a 4-game stretch. Not sure you watched Osweiler yesterday, but he's becoming that guy.

Next year, who is going to be available? It'll be one of the most important signings the Bills make (or don't make), yet it won't get enough attention. Frank Reich wasn't great, but he was massively important to the Bills' success in that era.

Dare I say it: bring Tyrod back next season? I have to think he knows his days as a starter are over, and that perhaps it's time for the next phase of his career: 5-6 more years as an experienced backup. (The pay is good too.) Anyway, as a backup he'd be ideal. He "respects the ball" like no other and can get you to 2-2 over a four-game stretch. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

There is zero evidence to support the notion that playing a quarterback early ruins their development.  You let him struggle.  You let him play.  If he doesn't turn the corner at some point during the season, you draft another quarterback next year.  So many people want to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I don’t understand your answer, sorry. What do you mean there’s nothing to discuss if he gets hurt? Like we just forfeit the season or something? He is hurt, and I’m not at all comfortable with Derek Anderson and I guess Logan Thomas (?) behind him.

Then you sign a street FA like Landry Jones.

Just now, Luxy312 said:

There is zero evidence to support the notion that playing a quarterback early ruins their development.  You let him struggle.  You let him play.  If he doesn't turn the corner at some point during the season, you draft another quarterback next year.  So many people want to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

I never said that playing a qb early destroys their development in general. Not at all, you’re putting words in my mouth. However if they’re completely lost, develop the yips, start taking awful hits, etc., then continuing to trot them out there could absolutely ruin their development now that you mention it. Killing the kid isn’t going to make him better...

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then you sign a street FA like Landry Jones.

Fair enough 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nelius said:

He replicated it against us with a much worse Jets team one time. 

Do you remember what he replicated against a decimated Bills team the last game of the season in 2015 in a do or die playoff situation? I like Fitz, just don't want him as a band aid or otherwise. I'm convinced he's a Jedi Knight. He convinces teams to give him big money contracts with his mind trick powers.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Do you remember what he replicated against a decimated Bills team the last game of the season in 2015 in a do or die playoff situation? I like Fitz, just don't want him as a band aid or otherwise. I'm convinced he's a Jedi Knight. He convinces teams to give him big money contracts with his mind trick powers.

I’m only arguing that he’s better than Peterman, Derek Anderson, and the current Josh Allen. A poster in this thread acted like Fitz and Peterman are interchangeable - does any rational non-troll really believe that?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LFC24 said:

what makes you think this coaching staff even thinks there is a problem at QB?

this is the same staff that watched peterman all camp and preseason and thought he was good enough to be a starting QB in this league, not to mention traded up in the draft to sign him while ignoring Mahomes and Watson. 

Everyone watched Peterman and thought he earned the starting job. Why? Because he played pretty well.

But when the actual games started he stunk it up.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, we win that game with Fitz. 

Maybe, but it's also possible that Fitz throws the same pick that Peterman threw. He does have a history of that.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Everyone watched Peterman and thought he earned the starting job. Why? Because he played pretty well.

But when the actual games started he stunk it up.

That was pure fool's gold and anyone who looked closely enough wasn't that impressed because of the circumstances he played in addition to the QoC.  The warning signs were there even that he still was a substandard QB.  Anyone who pointed this out was shouted down by many at TSW. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz