If Josh Allen does this, he will be a Hall of Fame QB...

Great read from Peter King in today's FMIA on Drew Brees and what made him great. If JA follows this example, he can be a great QB too.

FMIA

Saints coach Sean Payton on what he has learned in 12 seasons side-by-side with Drew Brees, the NFL’s all-time leader in passing yards.

“So what has Drew taught me?”

Pause. Four, five seconds.

“Mental preparation. Every young quarterback should see what he does to prepare for a game. It’s extraordinary.

“The time he takes to play the game in his mind has been a revelation to me. In his first year [2006] he’s still coming back from his major shoulder surgery, and he’s working so hard to get every edge he can. So we have our bye, and I’m in the office on Sunday afternoon, and I look out onto the practice field, and there’s this one guy, alone.

“True story. The field’s a little far away, and I can’t see who this is, but he’s out there with a football, dropping back and I’d guess you’d call it simulating playing football—playing quarterback. So I go out there. It’s Drew, totally alone. I say, ‘What are you doing out here? It’s the bye. You’re off!’ He says, ‘I wanted to get my game in. I wanted to stay on my schedule, and this is the day and time we’d be playing.’ He’s just out there, you understand, playing against nobody, running through our plays, playing the game mentally.

“I say, ‘Who’s winning?’ He smiles and says, ‘We are.’

“I get in the car. And I thought, ‘I’m glad he’s mine.’

gettyimages-870621290.jpg?w=692&h=464 Sean Payton and Drew Brees. (Getty Images)

“So what do you learn from this story? His passion for perfection is off the charts. It rubs off on the guys he plays with. It has made us better every single year. I think these teammates become better players than they’re supposed to be. Every week he’ll take the top 15 to 20 plays in the game plan, plays he’s almost sure we’ll run. And he’ll go through every one mentally. He’ll think how he’ll go to his first option, then go through it again and think how he’ll go to the second option, and then again with the third option, ad nauseum. Is that the right word—ad nauseum? He believes in the power of visually seeing something, and every possible option on a route. On the play where he set the [passing-yards] record, the throw to Tre’Quan Smith for the 62-yard touchdown, I can tell you, we worked on that all week, and we never thought the ball was going to Tre’Quan. But he was open, Drew threw it, and it was the right choice. He throws to the guy who’s open. Who was the guy who wrote that book, ‘Throw Me The Damn Ball?’ “

Keyshawn Johnson, he was told.

“Probably wouldn’t have worked with Drew.

“I have also learned another thing from Drew—faith. Back in 2006, we were all-in on Drew. But it was tough. Our city was half destroyed, and he was coming back from this huge shoulder surgery. And our team wasn’t good. Basically, our city and our team were both startups. It reminded me of that scene in ‘Jerry Maguire,’ where Tom Cruise quits that big agent firm to go off on his own. There was that great scene where he storms out and says, ‘Who’s coming with me!’ And here’s Renee Zellweger, kind of meekly, saying, ‘I’ll go with you.’ That was exactly us. And Drew saw our city and our team as sort of a calling, I think. He had faith in us, and we had faith in him.

“One of the most incredible memories of my coaching life comes from that first year. I come in one day and the message light on my phone is on, and I pick it up and I don’t remember exactly what it said, but it was something like this: Sean, this is coach Bill Walsh. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy watching what you’re doing on offense—the precision, the timing, the discipline. There aren’t many offenses I enjoy, but yours is one. For a young coach like me, wow. We played phone tag after that, and I never got to talk to him about it, which is sad. He died the next year.

“Drew is such a big part of it all. He demands everyone be committed. His dedication, that’s something everyone can learn from.”

• Like (+1) 2

Nice story I loved it. Bills making a serious mistake not getting Josh a Top QB coach. Almost waited to the middle of the season to get him a veteran QB Anderson to help him. The game is too fast for him right now. His arm talent is there. He needs reps and good coaching. Once the game slows down for him he will come around and be the QB that was worthy of the 7th overall pick. I have faith and I’m not worried at all. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

But it doesn’t slow down, the D gets into a feeding frenzy when they see a patsy taking the snap, they want scalps

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Imagine Brady and Brees in the same division for over a decade. That would be an absolute nightmare

Peyton as well if the Colts has stayed in the Bills division 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

But it doesn’t slow down, the D gets into a feeding frenzy when they see a patsy taking the snap, they want scalps

Peyton as well if the Colts has stayed in the Bills division 

The Bills defence would shatter the NFL record for most points and yards allowed in a season

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Speaking of his arm talent, when will they throw another deep pass? 

And yes, good story with Drew. His main strength IMO is how fast he processes what he sees on the field. In close ups, you can actually see it going on.

He had one to KB called back on a crap penalty yesterday. Daboll seems to call for 2-3 a game, a shame the best one in weeks did not count.

20 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Speaking of his arm talent, when will they throw another deep pass? 

And yes, good story with Drew. His main strength IMO is how fast he processes what he sees on the field. In close ups, you can actually see it going on.

we throw deep all the time

problem is Allens accuracy is terrible and the ball flies over the WR's head or goes straight out of bounds 

There is something wrong with the way that Allen is reading defenses.  Daboll's play calling is giving him open receivers, but Allen isn't taking them.

It might be an adjustment where Allen has the pre-snap read right, but then goes top-down, reading deep before short.  He might be trying to live up to his rep as a gunslinger, but with the Bills lack of deep speed, it's taking him too long to get to the shorter routes.

Brees takes the shorter routes, he generates a lot of completions into the heart of the field.  Having Anderson in the fold can help Allen read bottom-up, and encourage him to hit more crosses and drags.

The darker possibility is that Allen can't make pre-snap reads, and is locking onto one receiver and then he pulls the ball and runs when his lock is covered.  Nobody can really help him with that.