Bills D now ranked 3rd...forced the most fumbles in the NFL by a LOT...

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills D has moved up to 3rd overall, averaging 311 yards per game against, only 5 more than the #2 team, Jacksonville who got spanked yesterday 40-7. They are also tied with Jacksonville for 2nd in allowing only 4.9 yards per play against. Bills lead the NFL by a WIDE margin in most forced fumbles with 19(the next closest team is Arizona with 12), also tied for the NFL with the Browns in recovering 7 of those.

However, the Bills are NOT good on 3rd down, allowing a 42% conversion rate, which ranks 21st in the NFL.  

I think there is a good chance that we have the number 1 D in the NFL this year. Unfortunately we have the 32nd ranked offense and 32 is a generous ranking. This is a historically bad offense.

shame really. 

just have to hope they don't lose their motivation with the offense being so putrid. 

they have much work to do on the offensive side of the ball and I'm willing to give it time as hard as it is to watch and give them this off season to correct it.

they don't, they end up in the "past failed regimes" book of history...

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And I'm OK with that...the worse we are this year, the higher the pick is in next years draft...there are some unexpectedly bad teams this year...Raiders, Cardinals, etc, and we will need to win no more than 4-5 games to be in a high pick...

this is lame to me... we should shooting for 4-3 this weekend against a bad team in indy. and then who knows what would have happened after that with some momentum, the hardest part of the schedule out of the way, and a defense that's revved up.

I personally don't think of "process" as just going and getting high draft picks. and I don't want to think we just have to rely on high picks to be able to win games in the future. 

to be clear I expected this record. its not surprising. but i'm 100% not fine with how yesterday ended knowing we had a chance to go to 4-3 this week with a huge division game on MNF looming after. all for the sake of a high pick. no thanks. 

You must not watch a lot of football these days when teams are THROWING for 350+ yards a game routinely...the Bills AVERAGE 311 TOTAL yards a game against(including rushing).  They look pretty freaking good to me.  Imagine how good the numbers would be if they started playing the way they did the first 1.5 games instead of waiting until the 2nd half of the SD game to make the adjustments they made...

ONe thing I did not like with this defense yesterday was the number of  8-9 yards Miller was rumbling on 1st down plays...They were fighting against constant 3rd and shorts...That will make your 3rd down completion % horrible. 

21 minutes ago, LFC24 said:

don't worry, it will even out once we play some better offenses 

we have came up against 2 bad offenses in a row. we got our ass handed to us by GB and LA. This defense is overrated. 

We completely shut down Green Bay. Our defense embarrassed them in their own house. They are just lucky they had 8+ 3 and outs to work with, you should put up at least 40 with the amount of opportunities they had. 

Also the Texans have a very good offense. Don’t kid yourself this is an elite defense this year, at least top 5 maybe the best in the NFL. The fact that we are in games with an offense that gains around 220 yards is amazing. I don’t know it there is any other defense in the NFL that would even keep us in games. 

21 minutes ago, ganesh said:

ONe thing I did not like with this defense yesterday was the number of  8-9 yards Miller was rumbling on 1st down plays...They were fighting against constant 3rd and shorts...That will make your 3rd down completion % horrible. 

In their defense, they were in the field most of the game so fatigue was probably a factor in most of those runs. Millers yardage and ypc were still not that impressive. What’s more concerning is the Bills never have any runs like that on offense. We are lucky to get 5 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

They are terrible on 3rd down and when the game is on the line. That is not a great defense.

Troll? They are TERRIBLE on 3rd down. That means they don't produce when they need to. Just like in the last 4 minutes yesterday. All I am saying is they are OVERRATED.

Well you are wrong. It's ok.

17 minutes ago, billspro said:

We completely shut down Green Bay. Our defense embarrassed them in their own house. They are just lucky they had 8+ 3 and outs to work with, you should put up at least 40 with the amount of opportunities they had. 

Also the Texans have a very good offense. Don’t kid yourself this is an elite defense this year, at least top 5 maybe the best in the NFL. The fact that we are in games with an offense that gains around 220 yards is amazing. I don’t know it there is any other defense in the NFL that would even keep us in games. 

In their defense, they were in the field most of the game so fatigue was probably a factor in most of those runs. Millers yardage and ypc were still not that impressive. What’s more concerning is the Bills never have any runs like that on offense. We are lucky to get 5 yards.

and even when they do happen to pop a nice one its usually followed by an extremely predictable play right after that's stuff for a loss.

It is...statistically there is no real "skill" for recovering forced fumbles...typically you regress to the average which is 50-50 no matter what side you are on over time. Cleveland who also has recovered 7, has only forced 11...so they are significantly higher than average...they will regress to the mean as well at some point...might not be this season as its a small sample size but over the course of several seasons, this is almost always the case.

I think it's less than a 50-50 chance because there are always some fumbles that roll out of bounds (and hence "no one" actually recovers). If I had to guess, I'd say that happens about 15 percent of the time. 

45 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They allowed like a 25% 3rd down completion percentage against the Texans. That's really good.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

They totalled 216 yards of offense. How many of them could there have been?

1 hour ago, billspro said:

That is not true.  The TOP was pretty much even (and in fact the Bills offense had the ball for a longer time in the 1st half).

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Past ten years might be too nice. This is a historic, historic bad offense. 

You are probably right. I didn’t look it up, I can’t remember a worse passing offense. Even the Losman era had more competent passing than this.

We have a really strong defense and I think that goes without question.   But to say we are the #3 defense is not accurate IMO.  Games are decided by points, not yards.  Therefore I believe we are the # 13 ranked scoring defense and I think that is more realistic.   Are we playing better than that yes, because #13 is obviously skewed because of the two early season beatings.